Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today at WWDC announced that it is simplifying the voice command to invoke Siri across the iPhone, iPad, Mac, HomePod, and other devices. Instead of "Hey Siri," users will now simply be able to simply say "Siri" to activate the voice assistant.

Hey-Siri-vs-Siri.jpeg

After activating Siri, users can issue multiple commands in succession without needing to reactivate the assistant, according to Apple.

The shorter "Siri" command will be supported on any iPhone and iPad that can run iOS 17 and iPadOS 17. For the Mac and AirPods, however, Apple says the feature will be limited to Macs with Apple silicon and the second-generation AirPods Pro.

The shorter "Siri" command is one of several new features introduced across iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and macOS Sonoma. The software updates will be available as developer betas starting today, and will be publicly released later this year.

Article Link: Apple Shortening 'Hey Siri' to 'Siri' Across iPhone, Mac, and Other Devices

Last edited:

hsoj1006

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
We've been trained to say Hey Siri....hopefully it won't be too much of a curve to change it up.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Haven't watched the full keynote yet... Did they announce any upgrades to Siri's functionality leveraging AI?

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
You can add all these cool features, but that won't stop Siri from saying "Hmmm... I don't understand"
So true… also reading this headline reminds me how often Siri thinks she’s been summoned when I didn’t say “hey siri” at all… makes me think that‘s going to get even more frequent with just “Siri…” … sigh..

the translate feature is cool, outside that and a few other things I can’t help feeling like Siri‘s accuracy w/ many aspects has not developed much from when it was just called “voice recognition,” circa Iphone 3…

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
The nice part about "Hey Siri" was that it wouldn't have false positive triggers that often. I fear that "Siri" is going to be picked up a LOT more in random conversations.
Lol you beat me to it… this happens to me way too regularly already

Reactions: PulpJEDI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.