Apple Should Be in 'No Rush' on iPad 3 as RIM's PlayBook Falters

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 16, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to a new research note from J.P. Morgan's Mark Moskowitz summarized by AppleInsider, Apple is unsurprisingly working on prototypes for the iPad 3, but should be in "no rush" to release the device as competitors have yet to put forward compelling alternative devices.
    Moskowitz's report comes as yet another competing tablet exhibits poor marketplace performance, with Research in Motion reporting (PDF) yesterday that it shipped only 200,000 PlayBook tablets during its second fiscal quarter of 2012 that ended on August 27th. It is unknown how many of those shipments translated into sales to end users. In contrast, Apple shipped 9.25 million iPads during its most recently completed quarter.

[​IMG]

Apple had been rumored to be trying to launch the iPad 3 sometime near the end of this year, but has now reportedly settled on an early 2012 debut. Some reports have claimed that technological difficulties with building a Retina display for the iPad 3 forced Apple to cancel any plans of a 2011 release for the device.

Continued word of a 2012 release for the iPad 3 comes as TiPb notes that Target is listing at least some of the current iPad 2 models as "discontinued" in its internal store inventory systems. Such stock systems can be unreliable indicators, however, and thus it is not believed to be suggestive of an imminent iPad 3 launch. The reason for the change in status does, however, remain unknown.

Article Link: Apple Should Be in 'No Rush' on iPad 3 as RIM's PlayBook Falters

2. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

3. C00rDiNaT0r macrumors regular

C00rDiNaT0r

What competition? :p

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I don't believe, for one minute, that Apple intended to release an iPad-3 this year. Especially not so close to the iPhone-5, and especially not while the iPad-2 is just now catching up with demand since its release.

I think they'll just release it in the March/April timeframe REGARDLESS of where the competition stands. I'm sure Apple is not fazed by them one way or the other.

5. Tones2 macrumors 65816

An iPad 3 rumor is totally distracting us from concentrating on the hundred's of contradictory iPhone 4s / 5 rumors.

Focus people! :)

Tony

6. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Apple does yearly releases, so people expect a new one in 2012. Why would a site defend Apple's decision to release a product when they were probably going to release it in the first place?

7. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Can we stop giving these people credibility for stating the bloody obvious?!

8. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

I still have my ipad 1, its so slow, waiting for A6 :D:D

9. Mattsasa macrumors 68020

Mattsasa

What do you mean no rush??? Apple needs to ****ing beat windows 8!!

10. dilute37 macrumors member

dilute37

Um, hello?!

Windows 8 for tablets? The "Metro" design, while simple, looks pretty damn slick. I love my iPad, but let's be honest, it has quite a few short comings. Looking for multiple accounts, live app icons, etc, etc. Needless, no time to rest on laurels. Get to it Apple!

11. Bryguy78 macrumors newbie

Why Rush Anything Anyways

It makes sense not to rush then next iPad out, but not because of RIM's woes. I feel there is an iPad market and then the Tablet market. The iPad is very user friendly and recognizable. Apple needs competition and I hope these new Tablets can keep pushing them. I am looking forward to seeing what the Windows 8 Tablet looks like when finished. As by then I will be ready to make a purchase and jump into the tablet market.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Fixed. ;)

13. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

Windows metro will have 3 hours of battery. :cool:

14. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Have you held one of these Playbooks from RIM? Compared to the iPad 2, it resembles that book found in hotel room nightstands!

15. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Re: article

No ****ing ****. We've all been saying that for months. Can I get a job as analyst for JP Morgan?

16. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Is this sarcasm? Windows 8 will be as successful as Windows Phone 7.

17. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Are they behind Windows 8?

18. bitWrangler macrumors member

Actually I disagree that Apple "shouldn't be in a rush". While they don't need to panic I do think that they need to keep their foot on the accelerator. I think they learned a valuable lesson with the iphone and the ipad2. With the iphone, they jumped out to a sizable lead but Android was able to catch up (for various understandable reasons, but still a lesson to be learned there). When they released ipad2 and others were caught flat footed, having to ditch/redesign existing products in the pipeline, this gave them a huge competitive advantage.

So the bottom line, when they're weak, press harder on their throats and don't let them breath. If you're in a position where your competition is perpetually a generation behind, then you maintain a massive competitive advantage. Just ask someone like RIMM (amongst others) how important it is to maintain technical leadership and not get to caught up in your market share numbers.

Apple has shown in the past that they are capable of doing exactly this (e.g. ipod mini replaced by ipod nano). I don't think they need to move schedules up, but certainly don't push them out simply to milk the current generation. Once they get a foot in the door, inevitably other parts of the body are coming through.

19. designaholic macrumors regular

designaholic

Well said.

20. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Shipping two iPad updates in the same year would simply be nuts.

21. mutantteenager macrumors 6502

Windows 8 looks great, and beyond the Apple hype, there are still more Windows users than Apple users worldwide. This analyst is living in the Apple bubble. If there's no competition, why are Apple constraining sales of the Galaxy Tab?

22. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    hardware!=software

The iPad 3 could be delayed a year and be fine. But iOS 6 has some work cut out for it

23. DarkLighter1985 macrumors newbie

I agree. The iPad 2 launched in March. It would be entirely ridiculous for Apple to release the iPad 3 anytime this year.

24. iMaci7, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011

iMaci7 macrumors member

Which explains why the iPad 1 was a huge success the first day it went on sale.

25. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Prototypes for iPad 3??? They're probably in the testing stages at this point and working on prototypes for the iPad 4.