Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared an ad for the iPhone 15 Pro, exclusively highlighting the new titanium finish of the devices.

The 38-second spot depicts a titanium fragment exploding into view and torpedoing through the Solar System towards the surface of the Earth. "From the edge of the universe... to the palm of your hand," reads the ad's tagline.
Might meets light. Introducing the new titanium iPhone 15 Pro. Featuring a whole new level of gaming performance with the A17 Pro chip. A more versatile, more advanced Pro camera system. And an aerospace-grade titanium design. iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are our lightest, most powerful Pro models ever.
For the iPhone 15 Pro and ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ Max, Apple is using a new titanium frame rather than a stainless steel frame, which cuts down on weight. The ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ and ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ Max are approximately nine percent lighter than the iPhone 14 Pro and ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ Max, yet the chassis is more durable.

The use of titanium on the ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ also brings with it a change to the chassis finish. Previously, all Pro iPhones used heavily polished stainless steel with a mirror finish as the chassis material. The ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ has a brushed finish that is considerably less reflective than the finish of previous Pro iPhones, and is also less prone to fingerprints.

Apple's iPhone 15 and ‌iPhone 15‌ Plus continue to feature a chassis made from aluminum. Pre-orders for all iPhone 15 models begin on Friday, September 15, with in-store availability beginning a week later on September 22.

Article Link: Apple Showcases iPhone 15 Pro's Titanium Chassis in New Ad

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
It also dents easily if it does land on its corner I've read, well this alloy does, I'm happy with my 14 Pro, well I'm not happy but I was with my 13 Pro. I have learnt that lesson, don't listen to Apples distortion of truth by association, its the same sweet from last year pretty much in a wrapper and with a new center that tastes familiar but hasnt made it a must have new piece of candy (for me at least) that has shiny boarder on the wrapper that is meant tio tempt you, such is the art of PR. Posting before coffee is not a good move.

leonremi

macrumors member
May 12, 2017
I used to think that Titanium is really expensive, but in fact it costs just a few dollars per kilo. With one kilo you can produce a lot of iPhone frames though. So it is just a few Cents per iPhone. Not sure how much manufacturing costs, but Apple would not do it if it was really expensive.
Titanium isn’t expensive, but it’s much harder to use than steel.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I am sure people who care, already know what Titanium is, Apple did not invent it. That is their sales pitch? What is next? An Apple Ad promoting the USB 2 speed on iPhone 15?

(Yes, I am tired and grumpy this morning)
Apple rarely claims that they invent something. Titanium just seems to be the most significant update this year; of course, it’s much better sales pitch than talking about the connector, about which basically no one cares.

johnmed

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
uk
I’m ordering one, I’ve had the 13PM for 2 years. Fancy a change, fortunate enough to afford it (years ago I couldn’t). But the whole marketing BS is dialled up isn’t it? The chassis is still aluminium. Hoping the update is worthwhile.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
I am sure people who care, already know what Titanium is, Apple did not invent it. That is their sales pitch? What is next? An Apple Ad promoting the USB 2 speed on iPhone 15?

(Yes, I am tired and grumpy this morning)

Apple did not invent wifi, 3G, 4G, 5G, gorilla glass, ram, or camera lenses (among countless other things) either, and yet they've always played a big part in the marketing because they're a big part of the phone experience

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
"From the edge of the universe... to the palm of your hand"

Easy to picture the marketing agency folks high fiveing each other

• Haha

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I like the less weight but I feel like using a fairly rare metal for a phone that gets thrown away every other year is kind of wasteful.

Hopefully all the metal gets recycled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.