Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Does this mean that the screen in the iPhone 8 will be exactly the same as the one in the S8 or can Apple alter them? just wondering if Apple has something else up it's sleeve in terms of the display because there are rumours that the 8 will have the True Tone display from the iPad Pro.

True Tone is a technology applied to LED screens regarding colour correction. I'm no expert but Apple has never mentioned a True Tone OMLED screen, True Tone is an Apple marketing term not a universal standard. Does OMLED even need True Tone? An OMLED screen can never have a True Tone display from an iPad Pro because it's a completely different technology (LED). As no-one has seen an iPhone OMLED screen yet why are you concerned it needs "True Tone"?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
A demo model in carphone warehouse . Sure trumps an owners unit. ;) really ..... sightings in carphone warehouse....that's a great indicator of quality . I've seen a bunch of broken phones there.... no indicator of thier durability .

Have u ever seen a demon model not be on 100% of the time ? Maybe a little burn in....?

Galaxy demo units DO HAVE OLED displays. Is there anything that suggests the OLED displays on demo units are prone to burns but the ones that are sold are not? And of course is great indicator of quality, don't be dump! That's why they are there, so people can make a sens of what the heck they are paying for. A display technology that have screen burns at shop can also have screen burns at home, unless they use a different tech display for the ones you buy.

So yeah. they are still prone to burs, regardless if they are in the shop or in somebody's pocket.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
True Tone is a technology applied to LED screens regarding colour correction. I'm no expert but Apple has never mentioned a True Tone OMLED screen, True Tone is an Apple marketing term not a universal standard. Does OMLED even need True Tone? An OMLED screen can never have a True Tone display from an iPad Pro because it's a completely different technology (LED). As no-one has seen an iPhone OMLED screen yet why are you concerned it needs "True Tone"?

I'm not concerned that it needs it i'm just saying there are rumours that the iPhone 8 will be getting it and wondered how it works with the display.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Minus half of that intended for the Apple upgrade members, assuming Apple regulates this effectively this year for those members.

You'd certainly hope they learned from last year. Doesn't make much sense to advertise the yearly upgrade option as the big feature of the program and then not let people upgrade. I think if they implemented some type of survey or early notice of intent to upgrade option users could complete, it would make it a lot easier to know what kind of numbers they are needing. I think a large percentage of users could tell you today if they plan to upgrade, even without seeing a finished product or price.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
I'm not concerned that it needs it i'm just saying there are rumours that the iPhone 8 will be getting it and wondered how it works with the display.

Short answer no it won't because it does not apply to the screen they will be using. Now they might implement something similar and call it some other buzz word, think "3d Touch" as opposed to "Force Touch", meaning the end result to the user is the same but the road they take to get there will be different.

Anyway lets agree to wait and see the screen first before we decide in our minds what it really needs, hey who knows an Apple OMLED may be the best screen ever, or just one of many comparable screens.

Reactions: Dave245

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
This means that about 30% of iPhone devices shipped in 2017 will come with curved OLED panels

No, this does not mean that, as Samsung is not the world's only OLED supplier.
Samsung might not be the world's only OLED supplier but it looks like they will be the only ones who are supplying Apple.

Samsung, its sole OLED supplier for the upcoming phone

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
They have probably found a way past the problems with OLED, Apple usually does this with a technology which is why they are not usually the first to do something, they usually wait until the technology matures and work on solving problems.
That's not really true. Apple just does what Apple does, and a bit like some people I know, denies any fault whatsoever when things don't go to plan, or when the mind changes, pretends it was like that all along. They are just going for OLED because they realize they are being left behind on this, and you will like it and you will pay whatever they ask to get it.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Looking forward to the dozens of burn-in threads and YouTube videos and the class action law suit .

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Galaxy demo units DO HAVE OLED displays. Is there anything that suggests the OLED displays on demo units are prone to burns but the ones that are sold are not? And of course is great indicator of quality, don't be dump! That's why they are there, so people can make a sens of what the heck they are paying for. A display technology that have screen burns at shop can also have screen burns at home, unless they use a different tech display for the ones you buy.

So yeah. they are still prone to burs, regardless if they are in the shop or in somebody's pocket.

What if Apple's response to "burn in" over years of use is "time to buy a new iPhone, you got your moneys worth"?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Its Samsung's OLED. Its already in line with the rest of the industry. This isn't some special OLED we are talking about here

Yeah I know, but the question was what if Apple's response to burn in is "time to get another phone".

And if that is their response, they will be falling in with the rest of the industry, because that's what everyone else who uses OLED does.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
With these displays coming from Samsung it will be interesting to see if the iPhone 8 has a curved display.

kingax1

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017
New York
Black and White films look awesome on OLED. Use my old Sony Vita or old Note 3 I have laying around when I want B&W. What took Apple so long, its nothing they couldnt have added on the iPhone 5. Will look forward to upgrading my iPhone 6 to 8 though cant wait.

Reactions: AsarTheGod

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
OLED, as a technology in itself, is not necessarily susceptible to burn. If it were, my TV would be rooted by now, as it's used for hours and hours on end with static on-screen menus and HUD elements without any hint of even mild temporary retention, let alone burn. Alternatively, my MacBook Pro suffers from horrid IR on its LCD panel, so go figure. Some OLEDs may suffer, but some clearly don't. My advice would be to wait and see what unfolds before panicking :)

On the subject of TrueTone etc. I would imagine that the video profile of the screen will be very much under the control of Apple. I do not think we are going to see nasty blue-shifted whites and over-saturated colours on any panel that Apple uses, even if the exact same identical panel in a different application may exhibit those traits. My hope, and indeed realistic expectations of an OLED equipped iPhone, are that it will look much like my iPhone 7, ergo fantastic, but with true infinite black, and all the benefits that come with that.

In short, I don't expect any negatives from the switch from LCD to OLED, and I do expect many benefits, including infinite contrast, and undoubtedly better energy efficiency. Of course time may prove my confidence unfounded, but until then I'll just wait, instead of complaining about something that hasn't happened yet :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.