Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royal Gala

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
The debates on here about whether Apple is holding back production to create artificial hype, or whether Apple is in fact contending with yield issues and capacity bottlenecks are pure lol.

Almost nobody on here (myself included), save for what seems like a handful of posters, has first hand knowledge of "the supply chain" and manufacturing generally; our understanding of Apple's production and distribution processes is extremely limited.

But that's no barrier to forum members sticking the words "supply chain genius" between that of "Tim" and "Cook" in a never-ending attempt to comment on his (strongly alleged, yet not bourne out whatsoever in Apple's stock price movements) incompetence.

Perhaps there should be an analogous phrase that can be inserted into a poster's name, along the lines of "not in a position to judge Tim cook's competence with regard to supply chain management". Pithier versions include: "haven't done my homework" and "chatting garbage".

Last edited:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Except this isn't surprising, they know what happens year in and year out, and they simply can build more phones in preparation. I can understand running out of stock on day 1, but having continually occur until November is a problem. Cook is supposed to be a supply chain genius yet he cannot figure out how to get supply sufficient stock? its by design.

I can see this happening for a one model, or one year but happening now for how many years?

Apple (like any customer) are restricted by how many they can get suppliers to produce at the quality levels they require.

Do you have any understanding of the logistics (and cost) it would take to achieve your utopian expectation for a product like the iPhone (no, you clearly don't).

Supply shortages are an expected occurrence, but compared to the billions upon billions it would cost to build a new factory to cope with supplying everyone a phone on and from day 1 is a business decision that they have to accept.

You kidding me, they're eating this stuff up.

Don't be naive.

As an Apple shareholder, would you rather they sold the amount they do, given current constraints, or... built enough phones on day one (but had less of a return due to the huge investment necessary to achieve that)?

You're fooling yourself if you think there's a shortfall deliberately created by Apple, when they could be selling those units over the counter and taking more $$$$.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the delays are the signs of success because demand is high and they work on getting it right as opposed to having to recall their flagship device because it was poorly designed/tested.

Great point.

Note 7 anyone...?

Last edited:
Reactions: HopefulHumanist

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Childish to expect a company to provide something they released :rolleyes:
Many other manufacturers have figured out that if they build more product prior the release day then people don't have to wait two months for it

Apple does it, as an artificial means to show how much the iPhones are in demand.

FAKE NEWS!

gertruded

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Northwestern Illinois
Well, one day of Mac articles and then back to iPhone. We all should remember April 4,2017; a historic last for MacRumors. But if the new Macs are really coming (which is doubtful), then I will be on the market for a new iPhone, if not then by-by Apple.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Is this really that complicated? You place your order for that model when it opens up and you'll get an estimate as to when it ships. You then wait and maybe you'll get it early or maybe not.

No need to stress about it.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Delay !! This is upsetting me :mad: it seems like building new technology may take some time.But apple still has five months to sort out the matter.

You do realize they say this every year. Also, this is a rumor site.

You're up here,
images-48.jpeg

Need you to come down here.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Don't be naive.

As an Apple shareholder, would you rather they sold the amount they do, given current constraints, or... built enough phones on day one (but had less of a return due to the huge investment necessary to achieve that)?
As an Apple Shareholder (wich I am btw) I would rather they used the right strategy, wich seems exactly that , create demand and make you wait!

Worked so far, no need to change, of course they could produce more, but why.... their marketing is working fine they way it did in the last decade!!!!

HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!

Mr. Skeleton

Suspended
Sep 26, 2016
Except this isn't surprising, they know what happens year in and year out, and they simply can build more phones in preparation. I can understand running out of stock on day 1, but having continually occur until November is a problem. Cook is supposed to be a supply chain genius yet he cannot figure out how to get supply sufficient stock? its by design.

I can see this happening for a one model, or one year but happening now for how many years?

You kidding me, they're eating this stuff up.

And you're a moderator? Yikes.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
*YAWN*
The iPhone New Dance continues...
October, year before - "I can't wait to see what's happening next year!"
January, year of launch - "The iPhone New will read your mind!"
February, year of launch - "The iPhone New will be be able to find water in the Sahara!"
March, year of launch - "The iPhone New will launch and skip the standard #/#S cycle!"
April, year of launch - "The iPhone New cool feature list will be delayed until 20xx+2!"
June, year of launch - "LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN iOS X+1!!!! It'll have a screen that is 1 pixel wider and taller!"
July, year of launch - "Every detail of iPhone New is leaked."
August, year of launch - The rumor mill goes strangely quiet.
September, year of launch - "This is the most Awesomeist iPhone EVER!" - Tim Cook. "Why didn't it have a blood testing port for diabetics, like I read on MacRumors?" - Random person
October, year of launch - "I can't wait to see what's happening next year!"
To streamline this, things are on the "horizon" (and will remain so, to keep the perspective)

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
And you're a moderator? Yikes.
Why what did he do wrong?? (was not offensive to anyone, is he not allowed to express his ideas?)

Also he is one of my fav, he is always nice and super partes, and most of all he is not an Apple koolaid drinker, he can judge things for what they are not for the company that produces them!

Mr. Skeleton

Suspended
Sep 26, 2016
Why what did he do wrong??

Also he is one of my fav, he is always nice and super partes, and most of all he is not an Apple koolaid drinker, he can judge things for what they are not for the company that produces them!
I can appreciate balanced judgement, but in this particular instance the wisdom isn't showing.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Hmm, if only they had a savvy supply-chain guy. Whatever happened to him?
Well he definitely doesn't work for Google. Pixel and Pixel XL's have been OOS almost since their release. Home is OOS now as well.

Google, once again snatching failure from the jaws of (moderate) success.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Maybe Samsung can be blamed. Apple ordered 70 million OLED screens. Maybe they can't keep up!!!! Someone please think of the children !!!!! lol
Oh, but Sammy will hurry hurry - to kill off the enduring S8 monopoly
NOT

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Many other manufacturers have figured out that if they build more product prior the release day then people don't have to wait two months for it

Who is that?

And by that I means someone who built "more" than Apple, as in, they sold more than 13 million of something in the first 72 hours.

For reference, the PS4 was one of the most popular gaming systems of all time and it hit a little over 1 million, I think. So I'm having trouble figuring out who I'm not thinking of that you have in mind here.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
As an Apple Shareholder (wich I am btw) I would rather they used the right strategy, wich seems exactly that , create demand and make you wait!

Worked so far, no need to change, of course they could produce more, but why.... their marketing is working fine they way it did in the last decade!!!!

HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!
Exactly.

You don't want Apple to spend billions and billions researching and building a utopian factory that can produce more iPhones that consumers want, because your share returns will be lower and you also potentially end up with stock sitting on the shelves, which again lowers your dividend.

You want things to continue as they are, so that you get great returns on your investment, not not so great, but we can supply more phones to more people returns with an uber factory.

Last edited:

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
lol. No they don't. It's always in their best interest to sell as many as they can make. You don't make money by not selling a product. The iPhone has been the top selling phone in the world ear after year and that number has only grown substantially. It's also quite clear that they don't even go into production until August. Which doesn't leave a lot of room to pump out 80 million phones.

Apple does it, as an artificial means to show how much the iPhones are in demand.

DoctorDoctor

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016

Google doesn't though. You still can't get a Pixel and it has been out for half a year now. At least Apple has that beat...lol.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Soooo, YET AGAIN Macrumors decides to lend credence to these ******** rumors that come out every. single. year.

@arn, do you enjoy participating in clear Jim Cramer style stock manipulation or have you really not picked up on this pattern yet?

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Exactly.

You don't want Apple to spend billions and billions researching and building a utopian factory that can produce more iPhones that consumers want, because your share returns will be lower and you also potentially end up with stock sitting on the shelves, which again lowers your dividend.

You want things to continue as they are, so that you get great returns on your investment, not not so great, but we can supply more phones to more people returns with an uber factory.
You missunderstood me, they are doing it on purpose to create demand, asnd to make it look like they sold more.

Apple sells 72 million unit in a month.... press goes nuts for a month, then nothing for the next 11 months press goes nuts, Apple is doomed!

Apple sell 6 million unit for 12 months ...press goes nuts for 12 months.... still 72 million sold.

Apple knows the second one is better, they can calim they are the best selling phone for more time , and at the end of the year still same the same ammount of phones.

Better sell your item x a month than all in the same one!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Big mistake if it's true. Samsung has already jumped way ahead of them with the S8.

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Everything about Apple is delays, delays and some more delays. Except emojis, of course. Still waiting for my airpods and everything else. Frustration already became normal. So sad.
I have mine, but they're driving me crazy. Trying to fall asleep while listening to music or meditation and drop outs all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.