MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new M1 Macs are now arriving to customers, and one of the first people to get the new M1 13-inch MacBook Pro with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 8GB unified memory has run a much anticipated R23 Cinebench benchmark on the 8GB 13-inch MacBook Pro with 512GB of storage to give us a better idea of performance.

Cinebench is a more intensive multi-thread test than Geekbench 5, testing performance over a longer period of time, and it can provide a clearer overview of how a machine will work in the real world.

The M1 MacBook Pro earned a multi-core Cinebench score of 7508, and a single-core score of 1498, which is similar in performance to some of Intel's 11th-generation chips.

Comparatively, a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro with 2.3GHz Core i9 chip earned a multi-core score of 8818, according to a MacRumors reader who benchmarked his machine with the new R23 update that came out last week. The 2.6GHz low-end 16-inch MacBook Pro earned a single-core score of 1113 and a multi-core score of 6912 on the same test, and the high-end prior-generation MacBook Air earned a single-core score of 1119 and a multi-core score of 4329.

Other Cinebench R23 scores can be found on the CPU Monkey website for both multi-core and single-core performance.

macbook-pro-touch-bar-m1.jpg

It's worth noting that the new M1 Macs are lower performance machines that aren't meant for heavy duty rendering tasks. The M1 MacBook Pro replaces the low-end machine, while the MacBook Air has always been more of a consumer machine than a Pro machine.

Apple does have plans for higher-end Pro machines with Apple Silicon chips, but the company has said that it will take around two years to transition the entire Mac lineup to Arm-based chips. The Cinebench scores for the MacBook Air bode well for future Macs that are expected to get even higher performance M-series chips.

Article Link: Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro Earns 7508 Multi-Core Score in Cinebench Benchmark

Last edited:

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Having purchased the 2020 13" MacBook Pro (with 4 Thunderbolt ports) a few months ago, I am skipping the debut Macs with M1. If rumors of the 14-inch redesign are true, and it sports an M1X or equivalent that provides 4 Thunderbolt ports, then the jealously will truly kick in.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How many cores did the other Macs have? Rather pointless telling us a multicore result without the number of cores. On Geekbench it seems the M1 was right between a modern 6 core and 8 core chip.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
This is an extremely impressive level of performance being brought down into the mainstream and will serve as an excellent baseline for future verisons of macOS when they are ready to cut off support for Intel models.

I cannot wait to see what they can achieve in the TDPs targeting the desktop Macs. My only reservations are on needing to see what they have in store for their replacements for discrete GPUs, but I remain confident they have something up their sleeve.

Reactions: pawkor and KeithBN

zakarhino

macrumors demi-god
Sep 13, 2014
Berkeley
Performance numbers like these stopped being relevant to me a while ago upon the realization that without any real investment into making faster software experiences most of this performance is irrelevant unless doing something specific like rendering or compiling.

macOS has fundamentally been the same since its debut as OS X. For the love of God, Apple, please do something groundbreaking in the software experience department.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.