Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason4427

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Chicago
Don't bother. Silicone cases are dirty and lint magnets.

Yeah. I know. That can be a problem. I'm going to be getting a regular 6. I looked at it today at the Apple Store. Awesome phone, but slippery... so want the grip, but not much bulk. I have a Ringke Slim on my iPhone 5, but I don't think I like the looks of it on the 6 in pics.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah. I know. That can be a problem. I'm going to be getting a regular 6. I looked at it today at the Apple Store. Awesome phone, but slippery... so want the grip, but not much bulk. I have a Ringke Slim on my iPhone 5, but I don't think I like the looks of it on the 6 in pics.

The leather apple one is great, has a nice grip to it too.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Do you guys know what the Apple store return policy on cases? I was thinking about buying one temporally until I get my Spigen case. Like if I buy one today can I return it to the Apple store within 30 days?

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I just bought the leather for 6+ in black. I gave serious consideration to the silicone but the black wasn't really black, it was a dark gray. It was nice but not what I was looking for.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
My wife has a red silicone one on her white 6, I have a black leather one on my 6. Truthfully I kind of like the silicon one more, even though it's a little tougher to get in and out of pockets.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
i bought the green silicone case today and didn't realize it was open on the bottom. i returned in 5 min after i bought it.

it looked ok, i just really wanted something that protects the whole phone. i don't know why they left the bottom open.

back to my spigen case

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
i bought the green silicone case today and didn't realize it was open on the bottom. i returned in 5 min after i bought it.

it looked ok, i just really wanted something that protects the whole phone. i don't know why they left the bottom open.

back to my spigen case

They leave the bottom open so it will for easier in docks, or with the 30-pin adapter. Many of the cases that cover the bottom, people come here and complain about the fact that they have to take off the case to dock it or whatever.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
Do you guys know what the Apple store return policy on cases? I was thinking about buying one temporally until I get my Spigen case. Like if I buy one today can I return it to the Apple store within 30 days?

I must have misunderstood. I thought for a moment you were considering using a product with no intention of keeping it or paying for it. If you shoplift it you won't have to pay for it AND you get to keep it.

A much better plan.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I bought the black silicone for my 6 Plus today and I'm really happy with it. I tried the leather one at the store, but it was more slippery than the silicone.

The case definitely has a good grip to it and does not add too much bulk. I have been buying very thin cases for my previous phones, but really liked the Apple silicone case because of the extra grip and protection. For a 6 Plus, you'll want that grip if you attempt to use the phone one handed!

Reactions: jck1634

FeelingGood

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Southern California
Don't bother. Silicone cases are dirty and lint magnets.

That was certainly true of all of my previous silicone cases attempt, but I got a red one for my 6+, with the intention to return it as soon as I get better protection, and now that I've handled this one non-stop for nearly 2 days, I am actually very impressed with this case. It feels quite good in the hand, provide just enough resistance to feel secure when held, yet slips out of my jeans pocket with very little snagging or resistance. Whatever secret magical treatment they've done to that silicone it does not attract any lint or dust at all! Very impressive and as I said earlier, very pleasant feel in the hand.

I looked at the Apple leather briefly, but then I noticed that the felt/microfiber lining inside the leather cases is not going up the rounded sides of the case as it is in the silicone one. Also, the all the light colors of leather on these cases turn really nasty looking very quickly, within just a few weeks.

In any case, I am still quite undecided as to what I will end up putting on my precious+ to protect it without making too big or thick, but despite the high Apple price for a silicone case, it is definitely a premium silicone case is there ever was such a thing. What a very Apple thing to do!

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
I bought the black leather but returned it for the silicone. The leather has a really cheap feel to it, it's not like a nice leather wallet no matter what people say, it feels plasticky! Also, the leather quickly started peeling up around the camera hole! The silicone feels much nicer to hold, has better grip and isn't a lint magnet like previous silicone cases! I'd highly recommend you consider the silicone and don't go straight for the leather just because it's leather.

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
I bought the black leather but returned it for the silicone. The leather has a really cheap feel to it, it's not like a nice leather wallet no matter what people say, it feels plasticky! Also, the leather quickly started peeling up around the camera hole! The silicone feels much nicer to hold, has better grip and isn't a lint magnet like previous silicone cases! I'd highly recommend you consider the silicone and don't go straight for the leather just because it's leather.

Could you post pictures of your phone in the case please?

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
i myself picked up the black/gunmetal gray silicone case for my iPhone 6 and I love it.

I have a Spigen case on order but I'm going to cancel it now since the Apple case really impressed me.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I have the Silicone case on 6+
Only decent case I could find in Toronto.
I held both the leather and silicone at the Apple store.
Leather case felt a bit slippery and strangely felt cheaper than the silicone.
No lint issues
Happy with the case until I get a Spigen.
And maybe won't change it.

ebree

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I was fully committed to the black leather case but after seeing and handling it, hell no. The silicone is much nicer and sturdier, cheaper too.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
pics of silicone cases on your phones please…debating returning my black leather for a silicone one

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
pics of silicone cases on your phones please…debating returning my black leather for a silicone one

Same here. Been watching videos on how the leather is a lesser quality than the 5s. My wife is picking up the silicone for me tomorrow.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I bought the red silicone case for my space grey 6 Plus from the Apple Store since it was the only case I could find in any store.

I was skeptical at first but I'm actually really liking it right now. Its not the normal silicone that you get from cheap eBay cases, its the same material as the smart covers for the iPad (complete with the suede lining on the inside). It has a really nice feel to it and makes the phone much less slippery. I didn't find it hard to slip in or out of the pockets of my skinny jeans, but it still felt grippy enough that I don't think it would slip out of my hands while using it.

Having the bottom open worries me a bit and I would rather it be covered but the case is very snug, form fitting, doesn't add much bulk and looks really slick. I might end up dealing with the bottom and holding onto this one.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I bought the blue leather iPhone 5/5S case when I had my white iPhone. I loved it.

Since I have the Gold, I bought the Olive Brown case for it.

I can't do Silicone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.