Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Overnight, Apple has quietly slashed almost all of its maximum estimated trade-in values of second-hand iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple Watch models.

apple-trade-in-program.jpg

For example, yesterday on Apple's device trade-in program web page, the iPhone XS Max had an estimated trade-in value of up to $600, but today Apple is only offering up to $500 -- a full $100 less than it did 24 hours ago. The only devices that have been spared reductions are the MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, Mac mini, and Apple Watch Series 1, 2, and 3.

The new trade-in iPhone values on the trade-in program page match the values offered on Apple's online store when purchasing new devices. There are no special trade-in prices for Macs, iPads, and Apple Watch models when ordering a new device, so this only applies to iPhones.

We've compiled a list of all device trade-in reductions below for convenience. The new maximum estimated trade-in values are shown in bold alongside yesterday's values in brackets.

Apple's New Estimated iPhone Trade-in Values
  • iPhone XS Max -- up to $500 ($600)
  • iPhone XS -- up to $420 ($500)
  • iPhone XR -- up to $300 ($370)
  • iPhone X -- up to $320 ($400)
  • iPhone 8 Plus -- up to $250 ($300)
  • iPhone 8 -- up to $170 ($220)
  • iPhone 7 Plus -- up to $150 ($200)
  • iPhone 7 -- up to $120 ($150)
  • iPhone 6s Plus -- up to $100 ($120)
  • iPhone 6s -- up to $80 ($100)
Apple's New Estimated iPad Trade-in Values
  • iPad Pro -- up to $220 ($290)
  • iPad -- up to $100 ($140)
  • iPad Air -- up to $70 ($100)
  • iPad mini -- up to $80 ($120)
Apple's New Estimated Mac Trade-in Values
  • MacBook Pro -- up to $2530 ($2530)
  • MacBook Air -- up to $660 ($670)
  • MacBook -- up to $610 ($630)
  • iMac Pro -- up to $4150 ($4240)
  • iMac -- up to $1500 ($1560)
  • Mac Pro -- up to $1700 ($1700)
  • Mac mini -- up to $230 ($230)
Apple's New Estimated Apple Watch Trade-in Values
  • Apple Watch Series 4 -- up to $100 ($110)
  • Apple Watch Series 3 -- up to $70 ($70)
  • Apple Watch Series 2 -- up to $60 ($60)
  • Apple Watch Series 1 -- up to $30 ($30)
The reductions appear to have occurred not just on Apple's U.S. online store, but in other countries and regions as well, including the United Kingdom. Tech blog iFun.de was first to spot the reductions in Apple's Germany online store.

Apple has heavily promoted its iPhone trade-in program at its retail stores and on its website for over a year now, and CEO Tim Cook recently claimed the increased emphasis has been effective, noting that a third or more of customers that visit its retail stores end up trading in an older device for a newer one.

Using Apple's trade-in service is always going to be more simple than selling to a person, but the convenience of doing so will cost you. You're never going to get quite as much money from a trade-in service as you can get from direct sales, but there are some tips and tricks worth knowing before considering a trade-in. Check out our full trade-in guide for more advice.

Article Link: Apple Slashes Estimated Trade-In Values of iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch Models Overnight

Last edited:

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
So you’re saying the fair market value of a used phone goes down over time?

I haven’t been this shocked since I learned glass breaks when dropped.
[automerge]1578658082[/automerge]
Are you okay? Serious question.

iPhone XS Max
Launch Price - $1099 + Tax
Trade In - $500

Are YOU ok?

A used XS Max on eBay is going for around $550, with many selling in the low $400 range.

Last edited:

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
At a glance, these still look very generous trade-in values.

Well it depends on your perspective.

I often see trade in bonuses along with new Android phone purchases (Samsung mostly) that I rarely see with Apple or Apple sellers. For instance, I traded in someone else's broken Samsung Galaxy Ace from 2011/2 (which was directly valued at 1€ - the guy in the store actually laughed when doing it all but thought it was a great idea) but with the trade in bonus I got 101€ for it. This is in addition to leaving a working Galaxy A8 in my hand which I sold for 150€ (that I bought for 160€). Compare that to the $170 for an iPhone 8, that's still being sold new by Apple, I'm not seeing it being great value. That said, you can get that $170 at any time with no hassle… so there's that I guess.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
They have become so stingy it's crazy. They have either increased prices, removed supplied accessoires and/or decreased trade-in values for every existing product.

Examples:

- MacBooks not coming with a extension cable anymore. (now you need to buy it if you need it)
- Headphone jack - lightning adapter not included anymore. (now you need to buy it if you need)
- Apple Pencil 2 doesn't come with a extra tip. (now you need to buy it if you need it)
- Increased cpu and ram upgrade costs. (At least here in Europe)
- This article.

I'm sure there is a lot more, but these are a few example that just popped into my head.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I traded in a few devices recently at Apple because their offer was much higher than the other options I looked at. Now their prices are just a bit higher. eBay would have brought more and I sell there often but I dont like selling devices. Seems too easy for something to go wrong that will not work out in my favor.

The biggest disappointment on the list for me though is iPad Pro. With the original cost in mind I cannot believe the low trade in. Good thing iPad last for so many years that I dont need to trade often.
[automerge]1578658912[/automerge]
They have become so stingy it's crazy. They have either increased prices, removed supplied accessoires and/or decreased trade-in values for every existing product.

Examples:

- MacBooks not coming with a extension cable anymore. (now you need to buy it if you need it)
- Headphone jack - lightning adapter not included anymore. (now you need to buy it if you need)
- Apple Pencil 2 doesn't come with a extra tip. (now you need to buy it if you need it)
- Increased cpu and ram upgrade costs. (At least here in Europe)
- This article.

I'm sure there is a lot more, but these are a few example that just popped into my head.
I wonder if my Pencil 2 came with an extra tip. I just picked up a tip pack for a Pencil 1 that had to have it but never thought to look in the Pencil 2 box. The tips were inexpensive but I didn’t need several.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Pencil 2 does NOT have any extra tips.

I think trade values lowering is normal, time has passed so the trade values go lower. It’s called the passage of time people.
Compare these trade values to eBay and you’ll see a good number of these trades are decent. Certain trades you may still want to avoid and sell on eBay, like those iPad Pro trade values hurt. Up to $220?! Even before the value change overnight this is not much for a currently up to date iPad Pro. Does that include 2018 iPad Pros?! To be fair the iPad Pro line is undergoing change recently, and with bendgate those devices are less attractive over time... 2018 release year sounds like ages ago at this point as well but still.

2020 iphone is that much closer now.
Series 6 that much closer.
13-14”mbp refresh is nigh.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Wide opeN

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Some of these prices get fairly close to used prices. Mostly on the older models the price is closer. Even closer once you factor in Paypal and eBay fees. Of course many are way under used prices. Like the Apple Watch Series 4.

You might say. That you see used Apple Watch 4's going for close to $100. Sure some do. But all these prices listed are the maximum prices Apple offers. A used Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes Edition in near mint condition with original box and accessories goes for closer to $600.

The question is how much of a price ding do you take on base models with normal wear and tear? As many defenders of Apple's prices are comparing to base models with normal wear and tear. While Apple's listed price sheet is for max spec models in excellent condition.

Reactions: Lazy and LiveM

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Some Apple resellers here sometimes offer €50 more than Apple but I don't think it is worthwhile to trade in.
I don't like selling stuff on eBay but I can easily get the same value Apple offers me from a friend or a colleague, and they're really happy as they pay less. If the device is old and the value is less than €100 I'd rather give it for free to a relative or keep it as a backup.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'm surprised the prices lasted this long. I expected they would drop after the first month. What would you pay for a two year old phone?

Reactions: Breaking Good

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
$290.00 for an I pad pro when I paid over a $1000.00 I think not for that little bit I will pass it down to one of my kids to play with.
We use them for weather stations. I use a cookbook stand in the kitchen and Hi-Def Radar. Its on 24 hours a day looping the current weather. We have one in the master bath as well. They are iPad Air's but for the purpose work perfectly. (considering the trade in value versus buying a weather station) Kids are older and don't really want the iPads, they are on their phone or MacBook all the time instead.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Its simple.
The more value I lose owning a piece of apple device, giving its high initial price, the more risk I take making a purchase.
Riskier a purchase is, less likely I will buy one.
Apple devices are known for their higher resale price.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Apple devices don’t keep their Price over time like they used to. The XS costs now 600€ brand new. Wow.

this is fine and in line with my past experiences. The device is two years old now. In phone years that’s a long time.
[automerge]1578661013[/automerge]
Its simple.
The more value I lose owning a piece of apple device, giving its high initial price, the more risk I take making a purchase.
Riskier a purchase is, less likely I will buy one.

I challenge you to get similar value propositions with ANY non-Apple computer or mobile tech.

and also, look to eBay for actual values, you can't expect Apple to give you what a buyer would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.