Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
sky-is-falling.jpg

That's that.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
This isn't about advertising...it's about product. iPhone 5 is a weaker product than the Samsung Note 2 or GS3, this is reality.

I can read this forum and see the same blah, blah, blah from the same 5 or 6 users that claim they don't want a bigger screen, they don't want NFC, they don't want Multi-screen, blah, blah, blah.

I just don't buy it. The brand loyalty around here is mind numbing...at some point, common sense has to take over. I would never go as far to say Apple is "done", but if they don't give in to user demands on the iPhone, then they will be done in the smartphone department in no time.

Regular people (not techies) are figuring it out...the Samsung mobile offerings are flat out better than Apple. This isn't about brand loyalty, this is about facts.

I fail to see how the i5 is weaker then the GS3? It has a faster processor,(unless your comparing the quad core version thats a little bit faster then the A6 chip) the GPU blows out the gpu in just about every smart phone today, the camera is better on the iphone 5 both the front and back cameras( i tested this when i had both phones in my hands doing extensive testing) and the screen is nicer on the iphone 5. I fail to see how you think these phones are stronger then the iphone 5 when in reality there really not

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I can discern the pixels on retina displays. Looks way better than "SD" screens (which now drive me nuts for being so grainy in comparison), but still ain't perfectly smooth.

Fortunetly even if i look really close i cant see the pixels on my i5 screen.. It is pretty hard to see pixels that close let alone 6 inches away or more..as of right now the higher resolution screens like the 1080p screens isnt worth the terrible battery life tradeoff imo

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I don get the "apple is selling alot of iphones which proves that no one wants a phone with a bigger screen".

How can it not be that people might be buying iPhones despite their smaller screens. The iPhone has a lot of different things going for it like the great build quality or the very nice app ecosystem.

I think bigger screensize alone could give iOS alot of potential which is just not there with a 4 inch screen. Thinks like widgets.

I think Apple really needs to trim down the bezel of the iphone 6. This could mean a bigger screensize , but you would still be able to have an ergonomic device. So in fact you wouldnt have to make the device that much bigger. ALso keep in mind its much easier to achieve great battery life with a larger device than with a smaller device. And i would prefer having a longer battery life instead of having a small and thin device.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Fortunetly even if i look really close i cant see the pixels on my i5 screen.. It is pretty hard to see pixels that close let alone 6 inches away or more..as of right now the higher resolution screens like the 1080p screens isnt worth the terrible battery life tradeoff imo
Since when did any of the 1080p screens have terrible battery life? Typical baseless assumption from a typical Apple consumer.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Overestimated to begin with???

Maybe they overestimated to begin with? Maybe they did a huge run up so they wouldn't be caught with shortages and cut back because demand is back to normal levels?

People just don't understand supply and demand and thus they don't understand fulfilling pent up demand then going back to a regular supply and demand model.

If Apple was losing money that would be one thing, but they are not.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
People reeeallly need to stop throwing the word 'innovative' around so much. There's been nothing innovative in the smartphone space since the introduction of the iPhone 3G! A larger screen is not innovative. LTE is not innovative. NFC is not innovative. These are all just incremental improvements.

The whole concept of a multitouch smartphone where the entire screen is a touch surface and that runs apps? That was innovative.

Samsung and Google certainly haven't been innovative either, though their OS might look fresher. A shiny new coat of paint and fresh UI is not 'innovative'! Okay, I'll stop now.
Please tell me what's innovative about the iPhone 3G, if anything that is the least innovative iPhone that Apple ever produced!!! The only difference between the original iPhone and iPhone 3G is ... wait for it.... 3G.... mind blown!!! If you think that's innovation you must happily spend hours playing with balls of wool.

The last true innovation from the iPhone line was the iPhone 4. Retina screen and new design. Siri is a hack and a taller screen doesn't cut it as industry leading.

Apple is in the profit taking phase. Relying on the old tried and tested platform of iOS. They are stuck in the same mould as microsoft. Super successfully with their original products but now are losing steam to other more flexible and multifaceted competition. Samsung can play with weird strange designs and lines of devices, same with Google and project Glass. Apple wants to keep their product line small and tight which is severely limiting that they can do to keep maintain their profit margin and innovate at the current pace.

You only have to look at the recent CES convention to see what real innovation is out there, 4K, wacom pen devices, optical cursor movement (as using your eyes), occulus rift (real virtual reality), body analysers (fitbit,nike,withings), mobile devices of all shapes and sizes. If Apple made something like the Lenovo Helix Apple fans would be off their rocker. i7 powered 1080p tablet 8GB RAM & 256gb SSD 11.6 IPS display with wacom pen input as well as 10 point multitouch. Hows that for innovation from boring old IBM.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Not surprised, iPhone 4-4s has a much better and durable design than the iPhone 5.

(Durable = less scratches, scuffs)

More durable? Have you seen the drop tests? Yeah, it may get scratched but it doesn't break and stays usable (especially the screen) through a lot of abuse they put in the drop tests. Unlike the 4/4S that shattered first drop :p.

(Don't get me wrong, I like both phones and I didn't mind the glass back, but sorry, the 5 is more durable in the way it counts, and that is not just cosmetic issues that aren't even on the screen where you look at).

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Since when did any of the 1080p screens have terrible battery life? Typical baseless assumption from a typical Apple consumer.

Okay did you not read half the reviews on the Droid DNA? All say bad/terrible battery life due to the screen. Dont call me a baseless Apple fan when you dont know what your even talking about

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Interesting.

After many iPhones I switched to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 just for a change and it's a lot of fun tinkering with a new OS, form factor, etc.

I really feel like the newest Android phones (when built right) are right up there with the iPhone 5.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
My own theory? This is due more to iOS6 than the iphone 5. The 5 is a nice upgrade, it's more durable, good battery, much faster and yes that is so much nicer (I came from a 4), it's lighter and that does make it nicer to use (the 4/4s now feels so clunky in my hands and it is easier to hold the 5 even when I have my hands full).

But iOS6? Has had so many flaws/issues/problems. Well, the main one being the huge problem with its big selling point. When their big selling point/change turned out to be so bad they were recommending other products? And people did not want to leave their old OS cause they didn't want your new feature? And your new phone has to have the new OS? Yeah, that will hurt sales a lot.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I fail to see how the i5 is weaker then the GS3? It has a faster processor,(unless your comparing the quad core version thats a little bit faster then the A6 chip) the GPU blows out the gpu in just about every smart phone today, the camera is better on the iphone 5 both the front and back cameras( i tested this when i had both phones in my hands doing extensive testing) and the screen is nicer on the iphone 5. I fail to see how you think these phones are stronger then the iphone 5 when in reality there really not
There's no reason to continue the discussion then. If you can't see that the screens are better, multi-view is stunning, NFC is useful, battery life (on the note 2) is infinitely better, customization is phenomenal, maps are integrated better than any platform on the market, then I can't help you.

It is important to note that the above statements are not opinion, they are fact. Now, if you want to continue on JellyBean is buttery smooth and the Note 2 and GS3 implement any other feature the iPhone has in a better way. Now, that statement is more of an opinion, but it is one that is shared by millions of users.

All of this comes from a guy who has owned every iteration of the iPhone, including the 5, and would use nothing else.

I used to be one of those people who would rip the note 2, then, I got off my Apple high horse and decided to give the larger screen a try and there was no looking back after that. Somebody said it earlier, the note 2 is, by far and away, the most superior mobile device on the market and it's really not that close.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/16/htc-droid-dna-review/

http://touch.latimes.com/#story/la-fi-tn-htc-droid-dna-review-20121215/

Guy couldn get no more then 5 hours battery life in the LA TIMES review LOL poor android fans

----------

There's no reason to continue the discussion then. If you can't see that the screens are better, multi-view is stunning, NFC is useful, battery life (on the note 2) is infinitely better, customization is phenomenal, maps are integrated better than any platform on the market, then I can't help you.

It is important to note that the above statements are not opinion, they are fact. Now, if you want to continue on JellyBean is buttery smooth and the Note 2 and GS3 implement any other feature the iPhone has in a better way. Now, that statement is more of an opinion, but it is one that is shared by millions of users.

All of this comes from a guy who has owned every iteration of the iPhone, including the 5, and would use nothing else.

I used to be one of those people who would rip the note 2, then, I got off my Apple high horse and decided to give the larger screen a try and there was no looking back after that. Somebody said it earlier, the note 2 is, by far and away, the most superior mobile device on the market and it's really not that close.

Im not saying iOS is far ahead of the competition...i know Android is hot on iOS's heels. But cmon you really mean to tell me the pentile screen on the GS3 looks better then the i5 display? I had a GS3 and the screen was definetly worse although the black levels were amazing on that device. The retina display is so much cleaner then the GS3 screen, i never had a note 2 so i cant comment on that screen but the note 2 doesnt have a pentile display so id imagine it would be better then the gs3 screen

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Mind boggeling is how people take this bogus report as fact...it is just a bogus report and it is self contradicting.

First point that gives it away is bogus it the claim that apple originally planned for 65 million of just the iPhone 5 for the q2..
No one seems to notice how ridiculous this number is ..when apple at best did 60 million of all the phones in holiday q.

Taking the reports base number for i5 and adding 4s and 4 to it... It implies that apple planned on selling 80 o 90 million iPhones in q2. Lol

Now if any one buys that report as legit.. They must also buy the bogus numbers above!
And if one believes apple planned on such huge numbers.. Numbers larger than holiday q for q2.... Welll i guess i can sell them some awesome land in florida..

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Also, they likely have "analysts" on the payroll who will suggest stuff like "short AAPL" and then put some crap like this out, to cash in on it.

There are many regulations around insider trading, if that is what you hinted at.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

I fail to see how the Note 2 is the best device by far with no competition, that is just ludacris...the Note 2 is for a certain niche of people who want a really big phone. Yes it has multi tasking features but its ment for such a big phone. The iOS app store is still much superior to the Google Play store imo and i still think the touch screen is better on a iphone

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Im not saying iOS is far ahead of the competition...i know Android is hot on iOS's heels. But cmon you really mean to tell me the pentile screen on the GS3 looks better then the i5 display? I had a GS3 and the screen was definetly worse although the black levels were amazing on that device. The retina display is so much cleaner then the GS3 screen, i never had a note 2 so i cant comment on that screen but the note 2 doesnt have a pentile display so id imagine it would be better then the gs3 screen

I haven't used the note. And I don't know if the OP is talking about screen appearance or just the idea of bigger screen. But I'll address the latter.

While I love(d) the iPhone. Now that I use a Skyrocket as my primary phone, I honestly struggle when I go back to use an app or do something on the iPhone. It's not because the OS is boring, It's not because it's "dated" or any silly comment. It's the simple fact that when you get used to using a larger screen - a smaller screen just is harder to read. Is the screen as high PPI as the iPhone. That matters. Definitely matters. But on my Skyrocket (4.6" I believe) the screen is great. I have no complaints. And the fact that I can actually read text, app labels, and have all that extra real estate is important. And valuable.

Remember when people joked that the iPad was just a larger iPhone/touch? Not that the Skyrocket is THAT big. But the response is the same. Screen real estate is everything.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Mind boggeling is how people take this bogus report as fact...it is just a bogus report and it is self contradicting.

First point that gives it away is bogus it the claim that apple originally planned for 65 million of just the iPhone 5 for the q2..
No one seems to notice how ridiculous this number is ..when apple at best did 60 million of all the phones in holiday q.

This guy says Hi :

2012-ipodtouch-product-initial

Since we're talking displays... If that is your only evidence for "bogus", you missed the little fact that Apple also needs the displays for iPod Touches.

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
I'm due for an upgrade in 2 weeks, and I gotta say, the iPhone 5 is last on my current list of smartphones.

Not enough innovation, and iOS 6 is starting to show its age.

I'm really liking the Nokia Lumia 920. The Windows 8 tile/metro interface is pretty slick.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas

My Nexus 4 might not be 1080p (1280 x 768), but my battery life is phenomenal.

I always thought it was physical screen size, not resolution, that determined battery life?

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/16/htc-droid-dna-review/

http://touch.latimes.com/#story/la-fi-tn-htc-droid-dna-review-20121215/

Guy couldn get no more then 5 hours battery life in the LA TIMES review LOL poor android fans

----------

While I do agree that the iPhone retina display is gorgeous, I can honestly say that I believe that the screen on the note 2 is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.