Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I haven't used the note. And I don't know if the OP is talking about screen appearance or just the idea of bigger screen. But I'll address the latter.

While I love(d) the iPhone. Now that I use a Skyrocket as my primary phone, I honestly struggle when I go back to use an app or do something on the iPhone. It's not because the OS is boring, It's not because it's "dated" or any silly comment. It's the simple fact that when you get used to using a larger screen - a smaller screen just is harder to read. Is the screen as high PPI as the iPhone. That matters. Definitely matters. But on my Skyrocket (4.6" I believe) the screen is great. I have no complaints. And the fact that I can actually read text, app labels, and have all that extra real estate is important. And valuable.

Remember when people joked that the iPad was just a larger iPhone/touch? Not that the Skyrocket is THAT big. But the response is the same. Screen real estate is everything.

I have the skyrocket as well. I just got through working on a client's iphone. Maybe I'm getting older but my skyrocket is just so much easier to read. I don't give a rat's *** about ppi or whatever you call it.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I'm due for an upgrade in 2 weeks, and I gotta say, the iPhone 5 is last on my current list of smartphones.

Not enough innovation, and iOS 6 is starting to show its age.

I'm really liking the Nokia Lumia 920. The Windows 8 tile/metro interface is pretty slick.
I actually owned the L920 for about a month before the incredibly poor ecosystem became too much to bear.

If you have been happy with iOS or Android, I find it very difficult to see you being happy with WP8. Personally, I think apps are important and the major developers are only catering to Android and iOS. Those are just the facts.

On a side note, the hardware of the L920 is lovely...it's, aesthetically, a beautiful device.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
When are people gonna remember that Apple's vision is to NEVER make cheap products to compete with other companies, but to make GREAT products (at all costs) to please the consumers?

I'm very skeptical of a cheap iPhone coming any time soon.

BS. Apple's "vision" is to make as much profit as possible. They believe they can do that by making products at the top end of the market with high margins. But that only works when your products are light years ahead of the competition. If they can't continue to innovate in the same way and start losing market share or if sales start to slow and the share price starts to tumble, believe me they will start churning out more "affordable" products.

Don't believe all the marketing BS they say.

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
I can believe this. I myself am waiting for the Blackberry 10 Z10. Almost time to say goodbye to my iPhone.

It's been very trustworthy hardware wise but after a while you really start to notice all the flaws of the iOS user interface.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I haven't used the note. And I don't know if the OP is talking about screen appearance or just the idea of bigger screen. But I'll address the latter.

While I love(d) the iPhone. Now that I use a Skyrocket as my primary phone, I honestly struggle when I go back to use an app or do something on the iPhone. It's not because the OS is boring, It's not because it's "dated" or any silly comment. It's the simple fact that when you get used to using a larger screen - a smaller screen just is harder to read. Is the screen as high PPI as the iPhone. That matters. Definitely matters. But on my Skyrocket (4.6" I believe) the screen is great. I have no complaints. And the fact that I can actually read text, app labels, and have all that extra real estate is important. And valuable.

Remember when people joked that the iPad was just a larger iPhone/touch? Not that the Skyrocket is THAT big. But the response is the same. Screen real estate is everything.
I think you pretty much summed up what I am trying to say.

The whole idea that big screens aren't welcome on phones is just hogwash. Yes, the note 2 is a big device...it is so big that I used to look at it and laugh. However, after using it, you realize that it is very manageable due to it's sleek thin design and light weight. After that, you forget that you are even carrying a larger device.

Honestly, the only time I think about the size of my note 2 is when I see an iPhone, then I think to myself; "how did I ever use a screen that small".

I think if you put truth serum in iPhone users, most of them would feel the same way after using the note 2. It's amazing what can happen when you open your mind to possibilities outside of one given company.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK

The whole idea that big screens aren't welcome on phones is just hogwash. Yes, the note 2 is a big device...it is so big that I used to look at it and laugh. However, after using it, you realize that it is very manageable due to it's sleek thin design and light weight. After that, you forget that you are even carrying a larger device.

Honestly, the only time I think about the size of my note 2 is when I see an iPhone, then I think to myself; "how did I ever use a screen that small".

I think if you put truth serum in iPhone users, most of them would feel the same way after using the note 2. It's amazing what can happen when you open your mind to possibilities outside of one given company.

Apart from the huge plate-sized device in you

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Well, Apple said it was the best thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone, well, that's sounds a bit full of themselves, doesn't it?

Apples moves recently have made me wonder. Switching out the iPad 3 that was marketed heavily, just months later, the constant iPhone 5 shortages.

And now this.

What is going on?!

dacalo

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
I am a former iPhone 3GS, 4, and iPad 2 owner. My wife still uses an iPhone 4S, and we still have another iPad 2 in the house. I purchased an iPad 2 for my mom. But my loyalty to Apple waned.

Earlier last year, I tried a Skyrocket. At first, it was a fragmented mess since I was so used to iOS. But a few weeks later, I appreciated its openness and ability to be customized. Not as smooth as iOS but in return, it provided customization.

A couple of months ago, I picked up a Note 2, and I am in heaven. I love the larger screen estate, and it's just big enough to make it a great browser/email client/gaming device but small enough to be still a phone. At this point, Apple's iPhone line hasn't persuaded me to go back at all.

I hope Apple innovates and delivers exciting products reminiscent of the debut of iPhone 4.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I can believe this. I myself am waiting for the Blackberry 10 Z10. Almost time to say goodbye to my iPhone.

It's been very trustworthy hardware wise but after a while you really start to notice all the flaws of the iOS user interface.

Dear lord. I've used a blackberry, and you must be borderline NUTS to think that iOS has "flaws" compared to blackberry's OS. Blackberry's entire OS is a giant flaw!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Well, Apple said it was the best thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone, well, that's sounds a bit full of themselves, doesn't it?

Apples moves recently have made me wonder. Switching out the iPad 3 that was marketed heavily, just months later, the constant iPhone 5 shortages.

And now this.

What is going on?!

What is going on is that this is all make believe. It's just more market manipulation before earnings. The numbers in the story are shady at best, and the premise is ridiculous. Apple would have never needed 65 million screens in the post holiday quarter. It is likely that production processes have improved and they just don't need the extra manufacturing anymore.

GBreezy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
What is going on is that this is all make believe. It's just more market manipulation before earnings. The numbers in the story are shady at best, and the premise is ridiculous. Apple would have never needed 65 million screens in the post holiday quarter. It is likely that production processes have improved and they just don't need the extra manufacturing anymore.
agreed. either it's hte usual hype to put the scarcity idea in people's heads or it's true but only because there are only so many people willing to buy the same phone every year.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
If anybody here really thinks iPhone sales will be 50% lower than expectations, you've got an insane blind faith in the Wall Street Journal. And if anybody wants to dump their shares of Apple, trading at 11 times earnings (back earnings) and with a market cap of less than 4x their cash pile, well, just give them to me and I'll rake in the cash gleefully.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Dear lord. I've used a blackberry, and you must be borderline NUTS to think that iOS has "flaws" compared to blackberry's OS. Blackberry's entire OS is a giant flaw!

How would you know? Did you try out the new BB OS 10 to even make such a jdugement?

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Most of my friends have either Android or Symbian based Nokia. Whenever I try to MSG them on Whatsapp they don't reply. I have to SMS and then they'll reply. I asked them the reason and all most all of them said the same thing, it drains batteries.
Once I had been to a Samsung service center with my brother for his S2, there were 2 guys in the back row with their Note. I was there for about 30min. All they talk about was how to conserve battery if they install "...slimOS" then use background process killer, use antivirus etc etc. they did not speak anything what they can do with the phone, all about optimization. I think if those guys had iPhone they wouldn't have anything to speak and would've sat quite like me. iPhone users just us the phone.

You do realize that using those since 3.2 is pointless as androids stops the app by itself?
Stuff like that is just a proof that people are ignorant and nothing else.
Killing apps manually forces android to reload it again thus draining your battery while you are thinking the exact opposite.

I have Galaxy Nexus and my battery is better than my 4S and I use Viber, Skype and many apps running in background all the time.
Nothing is draining it unless it's some totally unknown dev crap that I decided to give a try.
Android is much more attractive than iOS thee days. At least to me and I don't even need the latest and shiniest.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Apart from the huge plate-sized device in you

Oh please.

My wife was in love with her iPhone. Was dead set on another iPhone. Did NOT want a larger screen than 4". Flat out refused because those other phones are just too big. She didn't want something so big to carry around. And she certainly thought my Skyrocket was huge (no dirty comments from the peanut gallery please).

Cut to last month: She's got the LG One X+. Which is actually a hair larger (screen size, not necc total dimensions) than my phone. She loves it. It's pretty fun/funny to watch her play with the phone and have her keep showing me how nice the screen is.

I know this is one use case. I know it's not the rule. Point is this - people get acclimated quickly if they are open to it. Whether it's surround sound vs stereo. A larger screen. A different OS.

Of course everyone is different and has a different use case. That means that no one phone size is "perfect" - no matter what marketing will tell you. The best phone is the one you enjoy using.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Not quite.

Every single day of the year there is somebody ready to upgrade.

In the last 4 quarters Apple has sold an average of between 280,000 and 410,000 iPhones every day.

Don't get caught up in "launch-day" statistics... thinking people only buy iPhones the first day.

Apple sells iPhones throughout the entire year.

There are thousands of people who signed a contract on January 14, 2011... and today it's time to get a new phone.

Spot on! 100% correct.

But also as a result of the huge 4s market, demand for the 5 will start to slow down. We could see this early in London. The resale market collapsed within 2 months. Networks were offering the 5 for free from within the first month (on the medium priced monthly fees- around £35)

But the biggest factor is that now iphone is not the only game in town. People will comfortably buy a s3 and not feel they bought an inferior product. This was not the case with g2 or any other prior droid

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Most of my friends have either Android or Symbian based Nokia. Whenever I try to MSG them on Whatsapp they don't reply. I have to SMS and then they'll reply. I asked them the reason and all most all of them said the same thing, it drains batteries.

Sorry - but your friends must not be too bright. Or maybe they are purposely avoiding responding to you.

a) if it's the truth - why have it installed? If it's installed - it's running. So battery use is the same regardless

b) why do you think SMS takes less battery. Think about that for a second. Especially considering that SMS requires the radio to work vs WhatsApp that also works just with wifi.

I have had WhatsApp on both my iPhone and Skyrocket. I've never had an issue with battery life. Ever. And don't know anyone that has ever remotely suggested that WhatsApp is a battery killer - on any platform.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Yep...same pattern here folks...rumors come out...no truth to them...Apple posts record profits, etc.

Guaranteed this is the hedge funds.

If I had an aluminium foil hat for everyone on here who decries stock manipulation when it goes down but never when it goes up I could probably make a few iPhones and sell them.

Last edited:

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
sorry - but your friends must not be too bright. Or maybe they are purposely avoiding responding to you.

A) if it's the truth - why have it installed? If it's installed - it's running. So battery use is the same regardless

b) why do you think sms takes less battery. Think about that for a second. Especially considering that sms requires the radio to work vs whatsapp that also works just with wifi.

I have had whatsapp on both my iphone and skyrocket. I've never had an issue with battery life. Ever. And don't know anyone that has ever remotely suggested that whatsapp is a battery killer - on any platform.
^ this ^

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
this is kind of ridiculous. I mean unless Apple work with the cellphone carriers on the upgrading cycle it is really hard for the Apple fans to get the new phone. I mean a lot of people sign/upgrade their contract in relation to iPhone updates. Ive gotten my iPhone 4 two years ago and now I just signed the contract with ATT for the iPhone 5. If Apple comes out a much better iPhone 5S or even iPHone 6, it will be really hard for me to get it because the freaking phone contract. There has to be some deal, otherwise I don't see how shorter update periods can be any help. (while in other countries, people have unlocked phones so they can change to new phones as they wish).

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
You see what happens when they make the phone unjailbreakable and also shut down Apptrackr?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.