Apple Smart Battery Case Guide

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple in January launched Smart Battery Cases designed for the iPhone XS, XS Max, and iPhone XR. The Smart Battery Cases are designed to add additional battery life to Apple's newest iPhones.

Priced at $129, the Smart Battery Cases come in either black or white and are made from the same material as Apple's silicone cases. From our hands on article:

How does it work?

The Smart Battery Cases are similar in design to a silicone case but with an extra bump on the back that houses the battery pack. While attached to the iPhone, the Smart Battery Case functions like an external battery pack, providing additional power to the iPhone.

[​IMG]

A Lightning connector built into the case connects to the Lightning port in the iPhone, but Lightning access remains available due to an additional Lightning port in the case itself.

[​IMG]

When you have the Smart Battery Case on your iPhone, your iPhone will use all of the charge in the case before expending its own battery.

What's the capacity?

Each of the Smart Battery Cases features two 1,369mAh battery cells inside. Because there are two battery cells wired together, the cases run at a higher voltage that offers 10.1Wh of energy, making them higher capacity than previous battery cases introduced for iPhone 6s and 7.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Apple Smart Battery Case Guide

2. izyreal macrumors regular

iPhone X owner here. So far it works perfectly! No complaints. I'll update this review if I notice anything significant.

3. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

In the third pic, it's just begging to have a headphone jack added.

4. Hodar1 macrumors member

Hodar1

In the middle of the Rocky Mountains, for now.
    Love the battery case, but mine is NOT Apple. I am sporting an iPhoneX case with 6,000 mAh for $26 made by vProof. It easily allows me to use the iPhone heavily, throughout the day, and having the iPhoneX fully charged and about 50% left in the case at night.

Being $~100 cheaper is nice.
    The only caveat is that the Lightning port is ONLY for charging, Lightning earpods do not work with the case on. But, for $26 this is a pretty minor inconvenience - I just use my Airpods instead.

5. Awsaim, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

Awsaim macrumors newbie

Anybody else get it and feel like it dies quickly? I barely use my phone for 20 mins and it goes down to 89% from 100%.

6. AngerDanger, Jan 18, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

With a fairly unnoticeable mod, I've been able to gain 140% additional battery.

littlemodresize.jpg

7. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I really want this... wish it didn't act buggy with the X.. the redheaded step child of Apple..

8. Liamda1y macrumors newbie

Liamda1y

are you saying you got the iPhone XS battery case and it works perfectly? I only ask as I am thinking of getting it for my iPhone X

9. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

"Everything You Need to Know" - it's a battery case for the XS and XS Max, what else is there to know?

10. JohnnyApple$eed macrumors member

JohnnyApple$eed

The only thing I need to know is that I know I DONT need it.

11. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

That case doesn't look comfortable to hold at all. And, as covered a multitude of times in all of the other threads about Apple's case, third party cases function as external battery packs. Apple's is an entirely different beast with support baked into the OS itself.

Oh, and no wireless charging on the vProof either.

12. xxray macrumors 6502a

The biggest advantage this case has going for it is the fact that it uses the case battery before the phone battery, preserving long-term battery health. However, you could basically get 2 battery replacements for the same price.

13. scottcampbell macrumors regular

14. Aenean144 macrumors newbie

Aenean144

Dude, you have to reverse that stack so that it can double as a pop socket too!

15. AaronE macrumors 6502

I've been using it on my X since yesterday with no issues. I say go for it. Love mine!

16. izyreal macrumors regular

Yes, I put the iPhone XS battery case on my iPhone X and it is working perfectly. I am loving the extra juice!

17. nycgeo macrumors member

nycgeo

Any issue hearing from the speaker or making calls with the mic? Do the holes line up at all?

18. Peperino macrumors 6502

Peperino

Everything you need to know. $130.00 for a simple battery case.

Another overpriced Apple product.
    Another innovation brought to you courtesy of Tim Cook.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Your post is Really a poor attempt to knock Tim Cook, even if you don’t like the battery case, that’s fine, but there’s no reason try to conflate Innovation and Tim Cook with this. Some people find the value in this battery case for those who don’t have access to a charging port throughout their day, especially if they’re heavily involved with their iPhone usage.

20. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I dont understand people criticizing the price of this case.. the Mophie has always started at 100 bucks... this is a superior product and its sold by Apple for only 30$ more. I am not understanding the outrage here.

$150? I get it.. but $30 more for the better product isn't that bad to me.

21. jomsjoms, Jan 18, 2019

jomsjoms macrumors newbie

Question for me is, how heavy is it? I hope the added weight isn't too much...

22. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Can you have it so it only keeps your iPhone battery at like 80% max (so its not 100% charging it constantly - which is bad for the battery and long term battery life)?

23. femike macrumors 6502

Can you confirm if the two cells are wired in series or parallel?
    Some sites say the cells are wired in series which will double the voltage.
    So if the phone is using the power from the battery case first, the phone is getting power at double the voltage than it normally would. This doesn't seem right.
    If true, how is this affecting the phone?

24. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

So sign you up for two? One white and one black? Cool.

25. Combi06 macrumors newbie

Combi06

I wonder when it will be available at Best Buy. Got a gift card that I can use towards one of these