Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Groovetube

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
sounds like a lot of sabre rattling to me.

We're the king of the castle! You're the dirty rascals!

I've seen this whole same thing, play out before. I'd just be happy if apple could be a strong force in the computing world. I don't want, any of them, to be the dominant one. We already had that crap with microsoft before, I wouldn't want it with apple, or anyone else for that matter.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Other form factors? No, that's a weakness of the Android market and a strength of the iPhone market, though people frequently think the opposite. As a developer, it's nice to know exactly how to format your app and know that it will work on all tens of millions of iPhones exactly as you expect. An Android developer can not have that luxury.
From a developer's POV, fragmentation sucks, big time.

In many ways the Android market is turning into the Windows market for phones, with the good aspects as well as the bad aspects built in. Windows could be on any box, so you couldn't be sure what your software would be running on. Choice is cool for the customer, trickier for the developer.
Hence, the race for the 'lowest common denominator.'

And the form factor of the iPhone is great as is. You know how I can tell? Everyone copied it.
This cannot be denied.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
Most of the people I know have Blackberries. After that, a lot of random Motorola, Samsung, Palm, etc. I only know a couple people with iPhones and Android devices. My friends actually make fun of me for having an iPhone (although they always ask me for info when we need it rather than bothering with their Blackberries). I guess my social circle doesn't represent the masses.

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
Most of the people I know have Blackberries. After that, a lot of random Motorola, Samsung, Palm, etc. I only know a couple people with iPhones and Android devices. My friends actually make fun of me for having an iPhone (although they always ask me for info when we need it rather than bothering with their Blackberries). I guess my social circle doesn't represent the masses.

Actually, your social circle does represent the masses. There are hundreds of millions of smartphones out there. The iPhone is aiming for and will be comfortable in the niche, high cachet category - which is precisely where Apple wants to be. High profits to be made in them there hills.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Actually, your social circle does represent the masses. There are hundreds of millions of smartphones out there. The iPhone is aiming for and will be comfortable in the niche, high cachet category - which is precisely where Apple wants to be. High profits to be made in them there hills.

If Iphones are in the "High end" phone market then so are almost all android smartphones.. apples high profits should mean nothing to you, all that means is they are r@ping you for way more money than what the product is worth.

Congrats to apple as a whole, but why would costumers care how much profit a company makes?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
If Iphones are in the "High end" phone market then so are almost all android smartphones.. apples high profits should mean nothing to you, all that means is they are r@ping you for way more money than what the product is worth.

It's worth what people are willing to pay for it. Why do so many people have trouble understanding that?

Congrats to apple as a whole, but why would costumers care how much profit a company makes?

- Investors
- R&D
- Secure future for platform
- Investment in related technologies
- Expansion of platform
- more?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

So by your definition, when people willingly pay the asking price for an iPhone Apple is raping them ? That statement is an oxy-moron.

because this country doesn't have enough successful companies that not only deliver a class leading product feature wise, but one that sells like crazy, has a huge following and yet makes a profit. it's a win-win all the way around. we sure as heck don't need another 40+ phones that are buy one get one free just to try and steal market and copy features Apple came out with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.