MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a livestream test on YouTube that lists a September 10 date, which has led to some speculation that Apple could be holding an event on that day. Apple quickly removed the testing stream, but dozens of Twitter users and MacRumors readers were able to capture screenshots.

applelivestreamtest.jpg
Image via Reddit

There is no confirmation that September 10 is the date that Apple plans to hold an event, however, and it could just be a random date entered for a livestream test, or the date that was used last year as last year's iPhone event took place on Tuesday, September 10.

Apple does not typically hold events on Thursdays, so September 10 would be an unusual choice. There's no clear word on when Apple might hold an event this year because 2020's iPhone release timelines will be different. Apple at the end of July confirmed that this year's iPhones would launch a few weeks later than usual, meaning an October debut instead of a September debut.

Apple could still hold an event in September, but leaker Jon Prosser has said that the Cupertino company will hold its event in October, during the week of October 12. Whether that prediction is accurate remains to be seen. Either way, the September 10 date is not likely to be the date of the event, and the week of September 7 is probably out all together. September 7 is Labor Day, a holiday, and Friday is September 11, a date that Apple avoids.

If the event isn't held in October, the week of September 14 would be another solid guess as to when an event might happen.

Article Link: Apple Sparks Speculation About September 10 Event With YouTube Livestream Test

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Well have you thought this was maybe a test, like the title said, with a random date picked for it? Also aren't all signs pointing to the event being a bit later in the year?

Comment

LiE_

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
UK
If you’re gonna pick a random date September 10th is an odd choice. It’s either intentional or left from the previous iPhone event.

Comment

DreamyLucid

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2019
Scheduled for 19:15? What an odd timing in the evening. Usually, their events run from the morning to noon.

Of course, I do not know which timezone that is yet.

Comment

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Someone is always watching...LOL. Great people saw it, hopefully it turns out to be something.

Comment

Anson_431

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Pretty interesting tbh: whether it's a mistake or not, it's a very effective and kind of smart way to promote and generate hype to the new iPhone event which customers have been trained and became accustomed to that specific "time of the year".

Anyways, pretty looking forward to the actual date coming next week or so I have to say!;)

Reactions: TheYayAreaLiving
Comment

ss2cire

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
I think it's just a test. Either it'll be Tuesday, September 8th or in October sometime.

Comment

DreamyLucid

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2019
Pretty interesting tbh: whether it's a mistake or not, it's a very effective and kind of smart way to promote and generate hype to the new iPhone event which customers have been trained and became accustomed to that specific "time of the year".

Anyways, pretty looking forward to the actual date coming next week or so I have to say!;)
The hype is always generated whenever Apple does something. This is how a market mover is.
[automerge]1597945922[/automerge]
I checked the reddit post, it's BST so that makes it 11:15am Pacific time... still a bit odd
Thanks. The mentioned time is still considered late for an Apple event.

Comment

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2015
earth
This, to me at least, points the event to sooner than later, otherwise why be testing now? Of course since "leaker" :rolleyes: Jon Prosser says it's October...

Comment

WildSky

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon
Since 2012 the September event has not been held the day after Labor Day. In some years it was on the Wednesday of the same week; in other years it was the following week. This year Labor Day is on 9/7, so if the same pattern holds, it would be Wednesday 9/9 or the following Tuesday 9/15.

I got the historical dates from here for 2012-2018 and compared with Labor Day for each of those years. We know the 2019 event was 9/10 after Labor Day on 9/2/19.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.