Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Renewable-Energy-250x219.png
Apple announced on Monday that it will invest EUR1.7 billion to build and operate two new data centers in Europe. The state-of-the-art facilities will be located in County Galway, Ireland and the Central Jutland Region of Denmark, powering Apple's online services such as the App Store, iTunes Store, iMessage, Maps and Siri for European customers.
"We are grateful for Apple's continued success in Europe and proud that our investment supports communities across the continent," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "This significant new investment represents Apple's biggest project in Europe to date. We're thrilled to be expanding our operations, creating hundreds of local jobs and introducing some of our most advanced green building designs yet."
The data centers will be powered by 100% clean and renewable energy sources, with each having the lowest environmental impact yet for any Apple data center. Apple will also work with local partners to develop additional renewable energy projects derived from wind and other sources for future usage.
"We believe that innovation is about leaving the world better than we found it, and that the time for tackling climate change is now," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president of Environmental Initiatives. "We're excited to spur green industry growth in Ireland and Denmark and develop energy systems that take advantage of their strong wind resources. Our commitment to environmental responsibility is good for the planet, good for our business and good for the European economy."
The 166,000-square-meter data centers are expected to be begin operations by 2017 and help support nearly 672,000 jobs in Europe, a large portion of which relate to the development of iOS apps. Apple claims that developers have earned more than EUR6.6 billion through app sales since the App Store launched in 2008.

Apple hired former NV Energy VP Bobby Hollis to serve as its Renewable Energy Manager in April 2014, just over two years after outlining that it achieved 100% renewable energy usage at its data centers in its 2012 environmental responsibility report. Last year, the iPhone maker reached a deal for a third solar farm at its North Carolina data center and expanded its Reno data center with several new data cluster buildings.

Article Link: Apple Spending $2 Billion to Build Two New Data Centers in Europe

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
God help them with Broadband speed / Infrastructure in Ireland. Mind; this might be the investment the country needs - especially in the West of Ireland to bring it at least into the 2010's (rather than the 00's which it currently resides in speed wise).

iCloud TV confirmed

and Sadly I have no doubt Ireland will not feature for a long time despite the infrastructure for it being based here. We still don't have any TV shows on iTunes here and it took years before we got movies after USA & UK.

Last edited:

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
will help support nearly 672,000 jobs in Europe, a large portion of which relate to the development of iOS apps.

ROFL! What utter pigswill.

In other news, by brushing my teeth I personally support over a million jobs all over the petrochemical industry.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

In other news, by brushing my teeth I personally support over a million jobs all over the petrochemical industry.
Yeah, Macrumors got it wrong. From Apples PR release:
Apple supports nearly 672,000 European jobs, including 530,000 jobs directly related to the development of iOS apps. Since the App Store’s debut in 2008, developers across Europe have earned more than €6.6 billion through the worldwide sale of apps.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Indeed - as posted by RTE News.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0223/682120-apple-investment-galway/

RTE NEWS IRELAND said:
Apple is to invest €850 million developing a new data centre in Co Galway.

The centre will be built on a greenfield site in Derrydonnell, near Athenry.

The company says 300 jobs will be created over the multiple phases of the development process, from construction to operation.

Still that's 300 jobs that will then have a knock on effect on jobs / job creation in the area to service those (such as shops / garages etc.)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

The non sense doesn't stop there, what about this crap:

"We believe that innovation is about leaving the world better than we found it, and that the time for tackling climate change is now," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president of Environmental Initiatives. "We're excited to spur green industry growth in Ireland and Denmark and develop energy systems that take advantage of their strong wind resources. Our commitment to environmental responsibility is good for the planet, good for our business and good for the European economy."

"Tackling climate change" by building large server farms. :rolleyes:

"Leaving the world better than we found it" by selling 100's of millions of iPhones which will be discarded just after a few years. :rolleyes:

"Green Industry growth", green and industry, there is a conflict right there.

"Our commitment to environmental responsibility is good for the planet" Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

"Leaving the world better than we found it" by selling 100's of millions of iPhones which will be discarded just after a few years. :rolleyes:

"Our commitment to environmental responsibility is good for the planet" Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

I don't really understand what your point is, apart from showing everyone how cynical you are.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Here to discover how haters could see something negative in this news

----------

Oh, how could have I missed that! The tree hungers!

Feel free to return to stone age, if you like. I'm sure several will follow your example.

What's about that non sense on a tech based forum?

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

Taking that example, the point is they are planned to be using 100% renewable energy.

Which, to the best of my scientific knowledge, is considerably better for the environment than using, say, 1% renewable energy and 99% fossil fuels.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Indeed - as posted by RTE News.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0223/682120-apple-investment-galway/

Still that's 300 jobs that will then have a knock on effect on jobs / job creation in the area to service those (such as shops / garages etc.)

Yeah, 300 sounds a lot more realistic.

It was just amazing to see Apple credit these two not-yet-built datacentres with the future prospects of over half a million jobs in Europe. That would be getting carried away with the numbers, but it does seem to be a reporting error.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Where I am right now the temperature is -13F. Global warming my you know what. :rolleyes:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
NSA - we want access to your customers data.

Apple - we won't let you spy on our citizens

NSA - build a data centre in another country?

Apple - and you get access to that some how?

NSA - yes

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013

NSA - yes

While I'm in for some conspiracy theories, and yeah that is possible for the NSA, I still look at the thing here, >build 2 datacenters in europe<, for the obvious answer. It just makes sense to build the freaking datacenters there and not let all the europe traffic first travel to the USA and back again.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

NSA - yes

Do you enjoy making up nonsense?

Apple doesn't say "we won't let you spy on our citizens". Apple says "we won't let you spy on our customers".

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
While I'm in for some conspiracy theories, and yeah that is possible for the NSA, I still look at the thing here, >build 2 datacenters in europe<, for the obvious answer. It just makes sense to build the freaking datacenters there and not let all the europe traffic first travel to the USA and back again.

I doubt its that. Traveling back and forth is nothing these days. The pipes are already there. Its not like apple has to build their own. It could be that some of the world has lost faith in the security of US firms so building data centres in Europe is a smart move to build back customer trust.

Kakshil

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
How are they creating jobs

If you brush your teeth, you are not giving jobs to millions in the petrochemical industry.

The apple data centres will directly result in those App Development jobs in Europe.

Don't just criticize for the sake of it!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Do you enjoy making up nonsense?

Apple doesn't say "we won't let you spy on our citizens". Apple says "we won't let you spy on our customers".

Nonsense to you. :)

I used the wording "our citizen's" because its ok for the US to spy on foreign services and citizen's. I wanted to paint the picture for you.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Oh, how could have I missed that! The tree hungers!

Feel free to return to stone age, if you like. I'm sure several will follow your example.

What's about that non sense on a tech based forum?

I have no problems with tree huggers. I have a problem with uninformed tree huggers like the one you answered to. Apple is trying to build data centres in the most environmentally friendly way possible. Among other things, this will drive down the cost of others who want to use similar technologies. Phones improve people's lives. And Apple will recycle every phone that you return to them.

I'm absolutely for doing everything in the most environment friendly way possible. It's just the uninformed tree huggers who can't imagine a middle way between destroying the planet and going back to the stone ages (where 7 billion people would starve rather quickly).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Nonsense to you. :)

I used the wording "our citizen's" because its ok for the US to spy on foreign services and citizen's. I wanted to paint the picture for you.

You blatantly make up stuff without the slightest evidence. Actually, with lots of evidence pointing fully to Apple not cooperating with the NSA the slightest bit. And ******* the NSA, it is illegal for them to spy on people in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, based on UK and EU law, and if anyone of their employees leaves the USA, they should be incarcerated immediately.

At the same time you seem to not understand the concept of a "customer". Most of Apple's customers, you know the people who make Apple rich, are not in the USA. Given the choice between pissing of their customers who are their source of income, and pissing of the NSA, it is obvious to anyone that they will rather piss off the NSA. And they do so mightily already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.