Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the first developer beta of visionOS 1.1 for the Vision Pro, and the update improves the look of Personas.

Persona-Prompt-visionOS-1-1.jpg
visionOS 1.1 prompt to recapture your Persona via Dylan McDonald

After installing visionOS 1.1, Vision Pro users are immediately prompted to recapture their Personas to get the "latest appearance updates" included in the update. Some users shared screenshots of their updated Personas in social media posts today, and the new versions generally appear to be more detailed and lifelike.

Apple still labels Personas as a "beta" feature on visionOS 1.1, and hopefully it will continue to improve the way they look over time.

Quinn-Nelson-Persona.jpg
Quinn-Nelson-Old-Persona.jpg
Quinn Nelson's updated Persona (top) and original Persona (bottom)

As a refresher, Apple says a Persona is an "authentic spatial representation" of a person that shows their facial expressions and hand movements in real time. Personas fill in for you during video calls on the Vision Pro, since the headset covers your actual face. When you set up a Persona, your eyes are also captured for the EyeSight feature, which allows others to see a render of your eyes on the Vision Pro's outward display.

In a support document last week, Apple provided tips for capturing an ideal Persona.

Article Link: Apple Starts Improving Vision Pro Personas in visionOS 1.1 Beta

Last edited:

MrENGLISH

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
They've gone from PlayStation 3 to PS4 quality. Weird that this happened so fast, they could've saved themselves a bunch of negative press by just delaying a few weeks. March would still be early 2024.
They needed to rush this out before they announced new M3 products. My guess is that we'll see some M3 iPads in either March or April. Possibly even some new M3, M3 Pro and M3 Max Macs by then too.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
Personas is built off Portrait Mode isn’t it 😏

The lighting and depth effect look exactly like the early versions of Portrait Mode minus the additional (new) rendering.

• Wow
Reactions: canadianreader

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
In my business, I would ban this for workplace calls. Being able to see people's faces and actual expressions is important to build trust in a workplace. It's already hard enough to build a cohesive, productive team with people working remotely.

These cold, dead, waxy ghosts are creepy and weird. They are the opposite of 'authentic', they are entirely synthetic and artificial. A 2D video feed of someone that is their actual face is more authentic than a 'spatial representation' that is entirely computer generated.

I'm going to put these in the same category as the 'facebook is going to cure loneliness' predictions of 2011.

DoogH

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
I mean, sure, you can. But this technology is only going to get better.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT

Apple today released the first developer beta of visionOS 1.1 for the Vision Pro, and the update improves the look of Personas.

Persona-Prompt-visionOS-1-1.jpg

visionOS 1.1 prompt to recapture your Persona via Dylan McDonald

After installing visionOS 1.1, Vision Pro users are immediately prompted to recapture their Personas to get the "latest appearance updates" included in the update. Some users shared screenshots of their updated Personas in social media posts today, and the new versions generally appear to be more detailed and lifelike.

Apple still labels Personas as a "beta" feature on visionOS 1.1, and hopefully it will continue to improve the way they look over time.

Quinn-Nelson-Persona.jpg

Quinn-Nelson-Old-Persona.jpg

Quinn Nelson's updated Persona (top) and original Persona (bottom)

As a refresher, Apple says a Persona is an "authentic spatial representation" of a person that shows their facial expressions and hand movements in real time. Personas fill in for you during video calls on the Vision Pro, since the headset covers your actual face. When you set up a Persona, your eyes are also captured for the EyeSight feature, which allows others to see a render of your eyes on the Vision Pro's outward display.

In a support document last week, Apple provided tips for capturing an ideal Persona.

Article Link: Apple Starts Improving Vision Pro Personas in visionOS 1.1 Beta
I don’t want to redo mine. I think it came out perfect. Not that I ever even use FaceTime and it doesn’t seem to be used elsewhere

Reactions: coolfactor

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Call me crazy, and weird, but when it comes to these headsets, I'd be way way happier for them to totally scrap persona's, totally scrap spooky-eye-vision and 100% focus on a MUCH W-I-D-E-R field of view, and pass through quality.
For me, a VR Headset (which this is) is all about MY experience, so I want this to be the best it can be.
If I want to talk to others I have multiple ways to do it already without a Vision Pro.
I want Vision Pro to focus on the things that a headset main function is. MY VIEW.

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
Meta's latest Codec Avatars are way better than Apple's:

View attachment 2346645
Ah yes. Let's compare something that generates an Avatar on a High-end Researcher's computer vs. something that happens on device in minutes. Call me when the Quest 3 can generate something that looks like that with needing to use a High-end, top of the line PC and graphic cards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.