Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

VR-Zone claims to have heard that Apple is still exploring the integration of USB 3.0 into their future computers. USB 3 is the most recent major version of the USB standard. Apple presently supports USB 2 in its computers. The main improvement in USB 3 is that it can support transfer speeds up to 10x faster than USB 2. VR-Zone writes:
A lot of people have been disappointed over Apple's lack of interest in the USB 3.0 standard, but thanks to a little bird, VR-Zone has heard that the company is still looking at USB 3.0 as a potential feature to add on future products. As to when and how this might happen is not something we know, but from our understanding it'll happen before Intel integrates USB 3.0 support into its chipsets.
Apple has been believed to be holding off on USB 3.0, in part, due to a lack of Intel support in their motherboards. Steve Jobs, responding to an email back in October 2010 said the following:
We don't see USB 3 taking off at this time. No support from Intel, for example.
Intel has since announced that their 2012 platform known as 'Ivy Bridge' will support both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Intel says they view the two technologies as complementary. VR-Zone, however, believes that Apple may be considering implementing USB 3.0 before Intel's adoption.

That leaves us wondering when Apple might actually get around to doing this, and for which computers. The iMac, Mac mini and MacBook Pro have all been updated to the latest Intel architecture. We don't expect them to be updated again until the first half of 2012, which is when Intel's USB 3 ready "Ivy Bridge" is also expected to be available. That just leaves the Mac Pro model which is due for upgrade.

usb3.jpg

The Mac Pro has been believed to have been a candidate for USB 3 in the past. It's overdue for an update, and is expected to see a refresh late this year. So, that's one possible candidate.

The wildcard is the new Mac Product line that was previously rumored. From VR-Zone's description of their source, it sounds like someone who works in a supplier of USB 3 controllers, so they seem to know that Apple has been looking into them, not the intended target for the parts.

It also seems an unusual move as Apple has committed to Thunderbolt in the most recent round of updates. The main disadvantage of Thunderbolt over USB 3 seems to be the cost of implementation, both in the host computer but also the 3rd party accessories which may be limited to high-end devices to start.

Article Link: Apple Still Considering USB 3.0 in Addition to Thunderbolt?

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
I have to wonder if we will see support for more things (like USB 3.0) now that Cook is CEO. In other words, maybe they won't take such a hard line against things like blu-ray, etc.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Why not? Apple has plenty of hardware margin to put in a $3.27 connector and controller combo (if that!) along with Thunderbolt. Let the market slug it out then.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Wasn't it well known that Intel would natively support USB 3.0 in Ivy Bridge? As Steve was quoted, they were just waiting for official support from Intel so obviously USB 3.0 will be coming to Macs in 2012.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Sticking in a separate controller means a) writing drivers for it b) finding die space for it and c) realizing that when Intel integrates USB 3.0, most of that work will be for naught.

In other words, don't expect it before 2012 folks.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Why not? Apple has plenty of hardware margin to put in a $3.27 connector and controller combo (if that!) along with Thunderbolt. Let the market slug it out then.

Not a question of cost, but space rather.

That being said, mac pro is not overdue because there's nothing to update to.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
This would be a terrible idea.

It would eliminate one of the reasons that initiates flame wars on MacRumors.

To aid in turning this thread into a flame war, I present the following:

Thunderbolt > USB 3.0.

Go!

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
I imaged a few Macs the other day with a new copy of Lion and a bunch of pro apps. One with Thunderbolt and the other with FireWire. FireWire won by a good 20 to 30 minutes.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
This is not Steve Jobs's apple anymore.
Complete nonsense. Steve Jobs handpicked Tim Cook as his replacement. Jobs hired Cook away from Compaq in 1998. We can expect subtle differences between Jobs and Cook. However, after thirteen (13) years together, you may rest assured that the two men share a world view.

That said, Cook rises to the top of a company that has a very deep bench of very bright people. There will be some minor shuffling of job titles, but those people will remain in place. Like Cook, they have devoted the most productive time of their professional lives to doing things the Jobs way and by doing so, succeeded wildly.

Oh yes, Steve Jobs is still the Chairman of the Board.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This is a moronic rumor. Apple will support USB 3.0 with Ivy Bridge, when Intel builds it into their chipset.

Perhaps, but on what models? I definitely don't expect 3.0 on airs for instance. Also, just because it is in Intel reference designs doesn't mean Apple has to include it on their own custom designs. Intel not having it was just a convenient excuse to not have it for Apple.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
First of all, we don't know if Apple will produce another *new* Mac Pro, or they might just dump the line altogether like they did with the XServe...this has been talked about many times and the consensus with the Mac Pro folks "in the know" is that the Mac Pro days are numbered, with Apple focusing on their consumer-ized products as of late...the iMac, the MacBook Pro (and Air) , the iPad, and the iPhone.

Secondly....this "rumored" product might not be a desktop or laptop at all, I am thinking it may refer to the entry into the TV market (which I would NOT like to see Apple go down this road or enter into this market) or something entirely new like a large surface touchscreen table computer or something like the iPad but much larger like a giant touchscreen surface. The rumor could also refer to something else like a watch-computer, a wearable telecommunication device with smartphone/videochat capability.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Duh?

As others have said, USB 3 was always coming to macs once Intel supported it and we know that support is coming with Ivy Bridge.

Guess what else is coming with Ivy Bridge? Native Thunderbolt support. So guess what PC manufacturers will be putting on their comps next year...

PS: USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt are largely complimentary. Thunderbolt isn't supposed to do everything USB does, it's there to do things you'd never think of doing with USB...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have to wonder if we will see support for more things (like USB 3.0) now that Cook is CEO.

I hope so TB is so "leading edge" there is nothing that you can plug into it. But USB3 is a no-brainer. It is not even require an extra jack and works with USB1 and USB2. Just change one chip and you are good to go.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
This is not Steve Jobs's apple anymore.

I can understand the initial knee jerk reaction and thought behind this statement. But there's a few things that woud seem to go against it.

1) Apple investigates and spends a lot of time doing R&D for all options before they are accepted or rejected (and in either event they still may see further R&D) a decision like this, if true has been being worked on at some level for some time. (same goes for the rerelease of FCS, I'm sure it's been in the works for a few weeks)

2) Steve Jobs was fairly particular in who he had working for him, and I'm sure we can expect the people in the top ranks to see the vision Steve had, especially Mr. Cook since Steve picked him as his successor.

3) In this case, once intel natively supports USB3 in their chipset, there's really little reason not to include it. Professionals, Students, and home people will want more options than Light Peak...(edit: Thunderbolt).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
First of all, we don't know if Apple will produce another *new* Mac Pro, or they might just dump the line altogether like they did with the XServe.....

Apple is leaving the "pro" market. I think they figure there are more people who watch TV than make TV shows. Why not sell to the larger group?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Where is my FREE Fiber-Optic 100 Gigabit Fiber Internet connection, Apple...Google?? Anyone??? It is is 2011 folks, and we are stuck with the same cable broadband speeds we had in 1997!!! 14 year old technology, you would think our connection speed options would have improved....

In 1997, Macs shipped with 200MHz processors, 32MB of RAM and a 4GB Hard Drive, now we have computers shipping with over 200x as much RAM, are at least 50x as fast and have 500x as much disk space...

But the internet speeds are still the same????

I want my 100 Gigabit Fiber Internet connection....NOW!

We should be able to transfer at least 500 Megabytes of data per second over our Internet connections in major cities....the infrastructure is there, but it is being hoarded by institutions, companies, and Universities, and not allowed for mass-public subscriber access....our only two main options for "semi-fast" Internet are still cable and DSL....FIOS is only on Verizon in "select markets" and it is not a full Fiber connection, at that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.