Apple Still Offering Free Delayed Battery Repairs for Some 2012 and Early 2013 MacBook Pros

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 13, 2017.

1. vikky2426 macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm new to this forum but I just contacted apple here in UK but they are saying there isn't any program for a free battry repair. they said these are the current programs which apple is offering..

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/exchange_repair/

Can you please let me know what I need to do to get a free battery replacement? my macbook pro is early 2013 and qualifies for a battery replacement.

Thanks

2. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

I can't agree more and am so glad too about my highest configuration non-glossy user-servicabale Late-2011 17" with 16 GB of 2.133 MHz RAM, even FOUR SSDs (blades with an hardware RAID adapter). No DGPU-issues, original Battery still like new (everything produced in 2011) and purchased used two and a half years ago.

3. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

It isn’t that simple, the issue is that i’m currently running a beta version of macOS, cloning would mean the clone is also a beta. Apple are well known for refusing repairs to devices running beta software, so I was trying to get a running version of a non-beta version

4. Guy Clark macrumors 6502a

Guy Clark

Certainly makes a change. Apple's Customer and Afters Sales Support in recent years has been utterly atrocious.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    There are some repair programs which Apple do not openly advertise which has happened before. Rather than going to the website it is better to physically walk in to your local Apple Store and go to the Genius Bar and present genuine evidence the repair program exists.

Remember Apple will always prefer to sell you a new Mac rather than repair your existing one.

5. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

Unfortunately I cannot find any site that knows what file you would need to copy to preserve just the battery status.

But perhaps you can do this: clone the drive, then run a macOS installer on that new drive with the "keep/migrate data" choice. I guess it would wipe the logs though so maybe it would be a waste of time.

Anyway this is a battery issue. Why on earth would they care if you have a beta macOS in that case? The battery is not a software bug.

6. Ener Ji macrumors regular

Agreed.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. Earlier in the thread, you said:

I got the implication you were implying that failing batteries were the reason for the customer-friendly response, not the battery shortage. In any case, I agree with your most recent post.

7. Tizzypink macrumors newbie

Tizzypink

I had my niece call Apple because her battery is crap on her 2013 MBP, they told her there was no program and the article is false information. What gives? Anyone have any ideas?

8. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

It does unfortunately seem like the article was based on false information. As others have pointed out on previous pages, it is not listed on Apple's official list of current repair programs. There is a link to that on page 3 I think.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's not a public repair program. It's an internal Apple policy to satisfy customers who are trying to replace their batteries, but Apple is having a parts shortage. In exchange for waiting a couple of months until parts supplies improve, Apple will do the battery service free of charge. If you need it done now, they'll do it ASAP and you can pay full price.

As always, YMMV and some techs may not be aware of the policy or offer the option to delay the repair.

10. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

My current plan is to restore from a 10.12.6 Time Machine backup (which should show the battery issue) and then do a regular upgrade to stock 10.13. It's currently in progress but will take another 20 hours or so to complete.

Because in the past it has been reported that when a device has beta OS, all warranty/Applecare/goodwill has sometimes been refused. Just wanting to head that off at the pass.

11. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

They should offer service on 2012 MacBook Air as well. Mine only has 320 cycles, and still has 90% of its possible capacity, yet for the past four months I've gotten the "Service battery" message.

I'm just ignoring it until smoke starts coming out.

12. Zein macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2017 ---
    The Apple store in Tampa international plaza first informed me that they were unaware of the issue and refused to replace based on the issue. They claim to know nothing about the Nov date for no charge replacements. I have a mid2012 16g x 1TB, purchased other laptops, iPhones, ipads and iPods from the original classic iPod. I've been told they can't do anything for me and to not go by what MacRumors reports. I'm looking forward to knowing where MacRumors is getting their info.

13. darwin022 macrumors regular

Set up an appointment last Friday, earliest available was today (following Tuesday).

Took my Mid 2012 (first run, had top case replaced for trackpad issues in 2013 under warranty). Running High Sierra. Sure enough, Battery fault. The ONLY option he provided me was to send it in for service, 3-5 business days. I inquired about the other options outlined here, they couldn't/wouldn't do it.

Diagnostics also threw a video error so he wanted to run an additional test, all good with me. Video Diagnostics tool doesn't seem to have been updated since 2015 and has no idea what APFS, etc. is. Threw an error. His only solution was to completely wipe the SSD, re-install Sierra, then run the video diagnostics again.

ROFL, yeah, I'll get right on that. Or not. Anyway, I digress:

Spent an hour at the Genius Bar today for them to tell me that they'd have to ship my mid 2012 back in for top case replacement. That was the only option that they found acceptable. They refused to do the repair in house. Guy claimed that the parts are not restrained.

14. Zein macrumors newbie

I just heard back from the store who now says that the part is not available and if I wait til Nov 15th (as reported by MacRumors), there will be no charge.

15. keenkreations macrumors regular

Went in as a “normal” customer, said the battery had the “Service Battery” error.
    As he’s running through diagnostics, he’s putting in all the info for the repair on the iPad, sees the part is constrained, talks to manager.

Basically he said I should come back in November, and I can get the part for free, if I’m willing to wait. Which of course I am.

Guess it all depends on who helps and how friendly one is to get this. I pretend to feign ignorance to see where it all goes.

16. vexot macrumors newbie

I just went to an Apple Store in London and they offered me the free repair, taking place in Mid November.

17. rcerro macrumors newbie

rcerro

Hi, I had today a Genius Bar appointment in Solihull, UK, Apple Store, and this is my experience:

My MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) had the issue and they told me it will cost £200 due to they already have battery replacement in stock. I explain them I knew about this thread on macrumors forum but he told me this issue is not a recall from Apple and therefore I should pay if I wanted replaced the battery.

When I was leaving the store, due to I don't want to invest more money in this laptop, I though ... Ok maybe is a worth value replaced it (paying the £200) but I had to think about it. I asked to apple engineer (the same guy who was doing the checking) if I change my mind in next days and I want to pay for the replacement in 2-3 days if I have to get another appointment and pass through the process again etc.. he explained me they can keep the history for one week (that means I should not get another appointment etc..) and then when he was updating to hold the status for one week he told me he got a pop-up suggesting if I'm able to wait until mid of November the replacement it will be free, therefore, my suggestion is:

Go ahead with the battery replacement (it doesn't matter if you have to pay) because at the moment the apple engineer create the work authorisation will get the suggestion to suggest the customer the possibility to do it for free if you are able to wait until mid of November.

18. luciushunt macrumors newbie

It worked for me. Went to the Apple store (London Stratford) and they told me exactly what the article states. The guy proposed me to repair it now paying full cost or to come back in mid november and have it repaired for free. He also added that they do this to try to postpone repairs as much as possible giving the choice to the consumer if they want to have it done sooner.

Very happy about the outcome, having missed by one day the upgrade program last summer :_(.

19. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502

Yesterday I walked into an Apple Store in London and wasn't even given the option to replace the battery. I was told it's out of stock anywhere in the world and that the only option is to wait until November.

20. luciushunt macrumors newbie

Try the one in Stansted, you might be more lucky and get the deal as I did.

21. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502

What deal? The only option I was given is to wait until November for a free battery replacement.

22. luciushunt macrumors newbie

Uh ok sorry, I thought you had to pay for it.

23. Runningrock macrumors newbie

I went an Apple store in Maryland this afternoon. There are two options, replace the battery now and pay $199; or, wait until mid-November without the charge. Of course, I chose the second one.

My laptop is early 2013 Macbook pro, and the battery status is "replace soon".

24. zama36 macrumors member

Curious if anyone has seen this same behavior.
    Back in August when this story originally came out, I checked the battery condition on my MacBook Pro and found that it was fine.
    Then two weeks ago when the story popped up again in the MacRumors feed, I checked again to find that the condition said "Service Battery."
    Over the past couple months I have been experiencing freezes and just generally odd behavior. Three days ago the freezes and crashes became too frustrating, so I backed up, flatten my Mac (completely erased hard drive) and rebuilt my MacBook Pro.
    Now when I went and checked tonight the battery condition is reporting normal again.

25. mattv99 macrumors newbie

The offer is still on, although I started to doubt about it at some point of the appointment. My MBPr is still running great, around a year ago I had screen replacement due to lost of antireflective coating. Then I had an issue the laptop turning off, especially when watching videos... I visited Apple Store back in June - the GPU issue was diagnosed at the same time with problems with battery. Genius offered to replace the logic board for free which made me very excited for the laptop which is almost 5 years old... At the same time I was told that they will look for options about battery.

Week later I received my laptop back - at the end I asked about the battery, was told that the replacement can be done for 200euros. I passed at that time, wanting to replace it but closer to the date when MBPr 2012 will be declared as an obsolete. A few weeks later I read those articles about Apple doing exchanges for a new laptops...

I went for a new appointment yesterday. Before it I cleared the hard drive and reinstalled OS. The message about servicing battery disappeared although 3rd party app was still showing battery health around 77% (for last couple of months it was in the range from 68% to 78%). Just to avoid any possible trouble with failing the battery test I decided to discharge the battery a night before the appointment.

The guy at Apple Store run his test and told me that the battery is really dead - around 1/3 of original capacity. I was shocked and surprised, maybe discharging it before did the trick... The quoted price for the battery replacement was a bit higher than expected but ok... Then he told me that it can take up to 3 weeks, and before we proceed I have to agree with leaving the laptop for the repair for that period. First I didn't want to leave it for so long as I need it for work, second it looked like 3 weeks for the repair is exactly the timeframe when batteries will be back in stock... So I will both wait 3 weeks for the laptop and be charged over 200 euros. I just crossed my fingers and said "let's do it".

Then he said something for which I was waiting for "Maybe it will take us less time, maybe you will be happy with how it goes" or something similar. I don't know if at that moment he was aware but a few minutes later he got notification on his iPad that I can get it for free if I wait and return after 15th of November. I don't know if he knew about the possible offer prior seeing this notification and if he was acting, but at the guy was really happy almost like it was for him - coming with specific expectations it didn't impress me as much as getting a new logic board before, although I am still glad for the deal.

The conclusion of our meeting was to return back in mid November to check about the battery availability. I have a right to get the battery for free, but nothing is reserved etc and at the same time maybe they will not be available yet... I will check again in a bit more then 2 weeks to get the replacement, but won't be surprised if batteries will be not available yet.
    Especially when I expect 2012 MBPr to be obsolete in less than 3 months.

Having a new screen, logic board and battery I hope this machine to work well for another 2-4 years before getting a new one.