Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
iOS 14 is surprisingly sable. I was going to wait a bit until I installed it, but I caved when the 14.2 public beta came out. Huge mistake. Bring down control center freezes the whole display and will no longer register inputs and charging doesn't work. None of my chargers worked and the only way I could charge it was via my Magic Keyboard. Downgraded to 14, and its very stable.

Keep off the 14.2 Beta.

Babygotfont

Suspended
May 16, 2016
iOS 14 is surprisingly sable. I was going to wait a bit until I installed it, but I caved when the 14.2 public beta came out. Huge mistake. Bring down control center freezes the whole display and will no longer register inputs and charging doesn't work. None of my chargers worked and the only way I could charge it was via my Magic Keyboard. Downgraded to 14, and its very stable.

Keep off the 14.2 Beta.

not for me ... I'm back to LTE/WiFi switching issues/problems ... I'm restoring my backup and going back to 13.7

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No GPS Data, Heart Rate or Calories being recorded and severe battery drain.
The battery drain it’s just because of the update. Every update will cause battery drain it first. After a few days it goes to normal. My iPhone 7 Plus would barely make it through the day after I updated. Now it’s fine.

For those people concerned about bugs a good policy is wait till the .1 version and then install it. I suspect this will come out in October with the new iPhone

Reactions: Dino F

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
The battery drain it’s just because of the update. Every update will cause battery drain it first. After a few days it goes to normal. My iPhone 7 Plus would barely make it through the day after I updated. Now it’s fine.

For those people concerned about bugs a good policy is wait till the .1 version and then install it. I suspect this will come out in October with the new iPhone
I have a 7 Plus here as well, going on 3 years owned with 92 % battery health, and I really didn't suffer any real battery change on upgrade. Now that the phone has been on ios 14 a while now, Things feel very smooth. Same with the iPad Air 2 I have and updated to iPad OS 14.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
There was a time when Apple's software was good enough that everyone upgraded as soon as possible. Sure, there were some hiccups, but for the most part it went pretty smooth.

Now, Cook has screwed up the software quality so bad he has to force people to stay on the new system to save face. I think this is a good meme that represents Apple's new DNA.

Henry 3 Dogg

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Europe
There was a time when Apple's software was good enough that everyone upgraded as soon as possible. Sure, there were some hiccups, but for the most part it went pretty smooth.

Now, Cook has screwed up the software quality so bad he has to force people to stay on the new system to save face. I think this is a good meme that represents Apple's new DNA.

The policy hasn't changed. It predates cook

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So basically the above kind of described what happened in the past and the same think occurs today. I challenge you to prove that "everyone" upgraded as soon as possible. It may have felt like that but it probably wasn't the way it happened.
Software quality is the same as it's been for the last 13 years. Cook doesn't have to save face, he's in there solid.

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
From my experience 13.7 was really bad, quick battery drain, unexpected UI freezes, etc. on both iPhone and iPad.

14 was buttery smooth in comparison. So for those planning on staying on iOS 13, I hope you're on 13.6.x and not 13.7.

I've been on 13.7 since it was launched. I haven't seen the battery drain or UI freezes you've talked about... (edited to add iphone) i have iPhone Xs Max 256 GB

Nate Lupo

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2020
Anyone else’s 8 plus draining down the battery faster than an open sink drain? It’s been off the charger for an hour and already down 36% from 100.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Can't you still plug it into iTunes on Mac and install whichever iOS you want if you're okay with deleting everything on your iPhone?

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Can't you still plug it into iTunes on Mac and install whichever iOS you want if you're okay with deleting everything on your iPhone?
Not sure if that works in Catalina since that function is now in finder as far as the manual IPA selection by holding the option key like you could in iTunes. Also, not sure if the non signed IPA would cause an issue or not.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Not sure if that works in Catalina since that function is now in finder as far as the manual IPA selection by holding the option key like you could in iTunes. Also, not sure if the non signed IPA would cause an issue or not.
Until I know for sure, I'm not going upgrade.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Until I know for sure, I'm not going upgrade.
If the iOS you want to install is no longer signed by Apple, you cannot install that version of iOS. Its not a matter of plugging and using iTunes. You should not upgrade.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
If the iOS you want to install is no longer signed by Apple, you cannot install that version of iOS. Its not a matter of plugging and using iTunes. You should not upgrade.
Thanks for the clarification. I was pretty sure that was the case. But haven't done a physical iOS install in a while. I did restore the iPad and clean installed iPadOS 14 though. That was different as I wasn't trying to go backwards.

There was a procedure know to work some years back where you could back up the blobs and downgrade. However, there again, I never did that personally either. Is that still a thing today?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Eventually I'm going to have to look into blockchain phones and other alternatives. That's the great thing about capitalism. Diversity of the market.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
The inability to install of run older versions of ios (for software incompatibility, etc) is one of the worst parts about ios/ipados

I am afraid that macos is going to go the same way after the ARM / apple silicon transition.

Although DosDude makes it possible to continue updating older Intel macs, Apple Silicon is indeed likely to put an end to it. So if you can't afford to update hardware every five years you may be screwed.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Eventually I'm going to have to look into blockchain phones and other alternatives. That's the great thing about capitalism. Diversity of the market.
That's true, and also part of the other problem is there are more third party apps that people use today then a few years ago, and that gives more room for things break. I also find from my experience having used Apple products for as long as I have, the prospective is different because the type of people using the products is different.

For example: If you had asked my say 15 to 20 years ago what my thoughts on the apple community were, and what types of people used Apple products.

I would have told you
Creative professionals, and business people as well as engineers, etc people who knew how to use and take care of a computer properly.

Now you have a lot more diversity and that includes people that have no concept of how to take care of or use computer and electronics equipment correctly which leads to more problems that most times are user error in addition to the usual bugs that simply come from development and not everything always being about to be accounted for ahead of time.

I've had my share of bugs with recent apple software, more so than I had in years past. I personally attribute that to Apple trying to cater to, too many types of people. I always felt they did a lot better when it came to stable products when it was a niche market. I still love apple products, but like you, I've been asking the question the last several years "Is it time to finally move on".

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks for the clarification. I was pretty sure that was the case. But haven't done a physical iOS install in a while. I did restore the iPad and clean installed iPadOS 14 though. That was different as I wasn't trying to go backwards.

There was a procedure know to work some years back where you could back up the blobs and downgrade. However, there again, I never did that personally either. Is that still a thing today?
That was only relevant for jailbreak community back then. With Apple slowly opening half baked customisation options and implementing half baked jailbreak tweaks into the system, the need for jailbreaking is no longer what it once was.

Scubaman

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Anyone else finding entering / modifying the time of an iOS 14 Calendar appointment is a huge backwards step from iOS 13!! Trying to scroll that small “time” box is bonkers! similarly the new Widgets screen is way too blocky and awkward to navigate. Another huge backward step from iOS 13!

Dear Apple: “if it ain’t broke no need to fix it, just for the hell of it”!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anyone else finding entering / modifying the time of an iOS 14 Calendar appointment is a huge backwards step from iOS 13!! Trying to scroll that small “time” box is bonkers! similarly the new Widgets screen is way too blocky and awkward to navigate. Another huge backward step from iOS 13!

Dear Apple: “if it ain’t broke no need to fix it, just for the hell of it”!!
What is wrong with Calendar in IOS14 ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.