Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the May 16 launch of iOS 15.5, Apple has stopped signing iOS 15.4.1, the previously available version of iOS that came out in late March. Because iOS 15.4.1 is no longer being signed, it is not possible to downgrade to that version of iOS after installing iOS 15.5.

iOS-15.5-Version-Feature.jpg

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date, so it is not unusual that iOS 15.4.1 is no longer being signed.

iOS 15.4.1 was a minor update that addressed an issue that could cause the iPhone's battery to drain more quickly following the iOS 15.4 launch. It also addressed an AppleAVD issue that could allow an application to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges, which Apple said was actively exploited.

iOS 15.5 added an Apple Cash feature for requesting and sending money, along with new features for Podcasts and a fix for an issue with home automations. It also included several security updates, and those who have not already upgraded to iOS 15.5 should do so for that reason.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 15.4.1 Following iOS 15.5 Release, Downgrading No Longer Possible

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
15.5 seems to have been pretty good so far. They finally fix the gapless songs issue in 15.4. And so far, app load times seem a bit better now than 15.4/15.4.1, at least on my iPhone 7+. Feels like 15.5 is finally what 15GM should've been, and Apple finally fixed a lot of bugs.
Right now, we need Apple to place a pause to features in iPhoneOS 16. We need something like Snow Leopard was to OS X and trim down excess code, make it more efficient. Snow Leopard in that regard was highly effective and laid down the foundations for today's high efficiencies.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
That's a shame.
Since 15.5 my notifications have been completely random and many I never get unless I check on my laptop.

emcampbe

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Cincinnati
Forcing pepole to upgrade to latest version and disallowing to downgrade if things get wrong is the thing EU should get into.
Forcing to upgrade?

How did they force you to upgrade? Turn off auto-updates and it won’t do that (hey, I’ve got it turned on and even so, I haven’t been prompted for 15.5).

Sure, eventually those older systems are incompatible, but they’re not forcing anyone to upgrade that I’m aware of.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Still on 14.8.1. Waiting for iOS 15 to be FINISHED
I upgraded from iOS 14.8 to iOS 15.3 RC

I didn't like the additional UI changes but probably because of my minimal usage, I don't experience the bugs and crashes others have...
Forcing pepole to upgrade to latest version and disallowing to downgrade if things get wrong is the thing EU should get into.
Apple should have allowed iPhone 4s users to downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 or even iOS 6.1.3 when iOS 9.0 was released back then... They will not have to spend their time with the lawsuit due to performance issues of iPhone 4s after getting iOS 9.0

I'm no longer able to jailbreak my iPad 4 on iOS 10.3.3 due to Cydia Impactor now limited to developer accounts... I wanted to do this to be able to use the YouTube app instead of browsing the site through Safari...

I may not be the target audience for sideloading apps but I agree that the EU should force Apple to allow iOS and iPadOS downgrade since older devices get crippled or become unusable when upgraded to the latest firmware...

• Love
Reactions: Mr Todhunter

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Forcing to upgrade?

How did they force you to upgrade? Turn off auto-updates and it won’t do that (hey, I’ve got it turned on and even so, I haven’t been prompted for 15.5).

Sure, eventually those older systems are incompatible, but they’re not forcing anyone to upgrade that I’m aware of.
People are forced to upgrade due to minimum requirements of apps... Even Apple apps like Keynote, Numbers, and Pages now require iOS 15... Third party apps like WhatsApp are now dropping support for iOS 10 and iOS 11 requiring users to be on at least iOS 12

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Right now, we need Apple to place a pause to features in iPhoneOS 16. We need something like Snow Leopard was to OS X and trim down excess code, make it more efficient. Snow Leopard in that regard was highly effective and laid down the foundations for today's high efficiencies.
Snow Leopard for the Mac was a great opportunity as Apple made it "Intel only", so ditch PPC-support, and with that try to clean-up the OS.
I would imaging Apple had the similar type of opportunity when iOS 11 was introduced, being 64 bit only.

I can understand that introducing a "clean-up iOS" means stopping introducing new features for about a year. I am not sure Apple can afford to do that when it's in this rate race with their competitors.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008

Part of Snow leopard being an improvement release was that releases only came every few years, rather than having a new major release annually.

This meant a much larger pressure to have a feature launch in the release, because otherwise you'd go six years with basically no significant user-visible changes to your corner of the OS. You often couldn't get away without making changes, because you would be expected to tie into the (sometimes quite huge) flagpole OS changes.

Now developer-impacting features are meant to launch once a year and additions and non-developer impacting features can launch in just about any release. There's no need for a snow leopard release. There's need for culturally having teams prioritize the time investment into making their own projects more efficient and to burn down their feedback queue.

Also, keep in mind the real reason behind Snow Leopard - they had cannibalized the Mac OS X team for years to build iPhoneOS. They had surprised teams 1.5 releases prior with an architectural shift when they were only targeting PPC without a clue how their apps (or core OS API) worked on the secret intel port. It wasn't just gradual technical debt.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Don't you trust apple?
Asked me twice so you get a reply. No, I don’t trust Apple or any big tech company. Neither should you and if they do something you find wrong then raise a stink about it! Then if they do nothing to correct the situation, then take your money elsewhere.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
They did already, it’s in the new EU Right to Repair. Manufacturers will have to allow downgrades down to the version that came with the device. That signature iOS blah blah headlines will come to an end soon.

Highlights that goods with digital elements require specific attention; stresses in particular that software updates have to be made available for a minimum period of time in line with the Digital Content Directive; demands that consumers should be fully informed on update availability at the time of purchase; adds that functionality updates should be reversible and not lead to diminished performance of the device; notes that practices, which unduly constrain the right to repair or lead to obsolescence could be considered as unfair commercial practices and therefore be added to the Annex I of the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive;

Page 4 section 10 of

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.