Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Stops Signing iOS 9.0.2, Downgrading From iOS 9.1 No Longer Possible

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As of today, Apple has stopped signing iOS 9.0.2 for compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models, meaning users can no longer upgrade or downgrade to that version of iOS using iTunes. Apple is now signing iOS 9.1 and later only.

With Apple no longer signing iOS 9.0.2, those who wish to downgrade to jailbreak their devices are not able to do so. iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users with jailbroken devices will need to refrain from updating beyond iOS 9.0.2 as the iOS 9.1 update fixes the exploits used for the jailbreak.

The untethered iOS 9 jailbreak was released for iOS devices just two weeks ago on October 14 by Pangu. It works for iOS 9, iOS 9.0.1, and iOS 9.0.2.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 9.0.2, Downgrading From iOS 9.1 No Longer Possible

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
What kills me is no longer being able to restore to the same version I'm on.

You will be able to, as soon as Cydia Impactor gets updated. :)

Always like that.

Totally cannot understand why they allow users to do Internet recovery to downgrade to older version of Mac OS X while prohibit users to do the same on iOS.

Well, mobile security has to be taken way more seriously than on a Mac. You barely have anyone exploiting vulnerabilities there, but on iOS, Apple has to deal with jailbreakers (jailbreaking is a bunch of vulns that are exploited to gain root access, in very simple terms), black hat hackers with shady agendas, etc...not to mention that the amount of people who use iOS is a lot larger.

If Apple were lax about their mobile OS security, they'd just be like Google, and Android is basically insecure as hell unless you're running the latest version. Which you're likely not.

Reactions: centauratlas
Comment

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Always like that.

Totally cannot understand why they allow users to do Internet recovery to downgrade to older version of Mac OS X while prohibit users to do the same on iOS.

I'm sure they would do it if the situation would be the same. But contrary to iOS, Apple actually does provide security updates for previous versions of OS X as well as extended support. Also given the much higher prices of software and compatibility issues, I'm sure that the criticism would outweigh the desire to do this. iOS has flexibility and disposability where OS X does not.

Comment

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Not missing jail breaking on 9.0.2 one bit. Made my 6S very unreliable. This past Monday it went into safe mode for no obvious reason. I had to sit in a restaurant trying to figure out which app was the culprit. And a few days before that the phone was soft bricked; couldn't even boot into safe mode.
I didn't switch from the Samsung S6 to have a unreliable phone and to stay on old updates. I'm planning on getting a Nexus 6P as my mini-tablet to support my fix. My iPad Air 2 is still on 9.0.2 but I really don't see a need to mess with it.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
I'm sure they would do it if the situation would be the same. But contrary to iOS, Apple actually does provide security updates for previous versions of OS X as well as extended support. Also given the much higher prices of software and compatibility issues, I'm sure that the criticism would outweigh the desire to do this. iOS has flexibility and disposability where OS X does not.
Flexibility? Disposability? Uh, I don't understand these two.
The first thing I admit is the user base of iOS is way larger than Mac OS X.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
If I want to jailbreak iPad, I probably cannot upgrade it to iOS 9.2 beta 1. Oh, no. iPad was already updated to iOS 9.1! No hope.

Comment

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
What's left besides

Torrents
Theming
Tethering

That people still bother to jailbreak for?

Apple pretty much sucked up and baked into iOS everything useful already I thought?

Reactions: PowerBook-G5
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.