Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
I really doubt that CC6 requires an i7. That would destroy their potential user base. They might recommend it, but I see no reason an i5 (4 cores, no hyperthreading) couldn't handle what an i7 could (4 cores, hyperthreading).

I don't know what this guy is talking about. I've ran PS Creative Cloud on my once cutting edge but now old as the hills Opteron 185, and only found it to be very slightly more hardware intensive than the previous CSes.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Correct AutoCad is not the same as Architectual Desktop or Civil 3D. I'm sure though in most cases a VM would be fine though.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
As much as I hate to admit it, my 2011 iMac is actually faster and smoother in Windows 8.1 than Yosemite.

Windows 8.1 boots faster on my 2008 samsung laptop with hdd than os x yosemite on my winter 2012 imac.

but actual performance-wise... one can see that my good old samsung is aging.

/edit:

also, everyone complaining about the windows 8 UI: they obviously havent used windows. or never bothered to click "boot to desktop on sign in" in the settings :rolleyes:
haters gonna hate

Last edited:

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
First Aperture, now Windows 7

Despite this announcement, Apple still gives more love to Windows users than they do to Aperture users.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
This is really bad, will return my 2015 MBP and stick to my Mac Mini, I was already on the fence.
W10 could solve the issue but I am assuming that if I cannot install W7 then I cannot upgrade to W10.

What if I download W10 as ISO file and install it? Will it work or my W7 key will work only as an upgrade and not as a full installation?

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Your Win7 key will only come into play once Win10 is properly out.

I know but that is the important bit, thr trial version will expire. Do you think the key works also on full installation? I would think it works only on the upgrade installation but have to experience of updating.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
W10 could solve the issue but I am assuming that if I cannot install W7 then I cannot upgrade to W10.
You will still be able to install Windows 7 without Bootcamp. It's just that Apple won't release drivers for Windows 7.
I don't have the newest MBP or MBA but I'd think that you can still install Windows 7 in them in UEFI mode and use the current Bootcamp drivers from a USB created on a Haswell or older Mac.
In theory it should work.

Renzatic

Suspended
I know but that is the important bit, thr trial version will expire. Do you think the key works also on full installation? I would think it works only on the upgrade installation but have to experience of updating.

Despite all the pointless and convoluted confusion surrounding it, there are absolutely no differences between an upgrade key, and a brand new, store bought full installation key. The only difference between the two is how you get it.

Regardless of if you're installing Windows 10 over an active copy of Windows 7, or installing it on a brand new computer that doesn't even have Windows on it, the key will work. There might be some kinks you run into, especially if you've already got that key active on another computer, but usually it's a pretty simple process.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Despite all the pointless and convoluted confusion surrounding it, there are absolutely no differences between an upgrade key, and a brand new, store bought full installation key. The only difference between the two is how you get it.

Regardless of if you're installing Windows 10 over an active copy of Windows 7, or installing it on a brand new computer that doesn't even have Windows on it, the key will work. There might be some kinks you run into, especially if you've already got that key active on another computer, but usually it's a pretty simple process.

OK this is good to know. I guess I will wait until W10 is out and stick to the Mini in the meanwhile. Don't see the point of buying W8 when my W10 is already paid for by my W7 copy.

----------

PS If the key is the same then why don't people buy cheaper upgrade licences and use the key for the full installation?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
T

----------

[/COLOR]

It's weird how the previews are free but the releases are not.

Microsoft has announced that for a limited time (1 year I believe), anyone who is currently running Windows 7, 8, 8.1 will be entitled to free, no charge upgrade to Windows 10.

They are even going to "ignore" license check. Apparently even if you've got a pirated installation, you can get it for free.

I know, I know, it's not typical Microsoft. But then again, this New CEO seems to want to get away from the legacy of crappy decisions Ballmer saddled themwith

----------

Sometimes a necessity - not everything works or runs satisfactorily inside a VM.

There is also significant overhead by running a VM. Even if you don't take into account that there will be performance loss inside the VM (there's always a small percentage due to overhead of the VM layers)

But you are essentially running TWO operating systems at the same time with virtualization.

This takes up valuable resources that not everyone has excess of. Especially if you're an Apple user (and no expandibility for RAM in many cases)

An example of this is running a VM on top of an OS:
OSx will take approximately 1 to 2gb of physical RAM to run.
Windows also will take approximately 1-2GB of ram to run.
running windows in a VM means you are now using anywhere from 2 to 4gb of RAM exclusively for two operating systems. Nevermind whatever programs you are attempting to also run on either the OSx or Windows side.

if you have a system with only 4gb of RAM, you are going to be limited by your performance, and the amount of things you can then run.

This is not always a suitable solution and sometimes you need those resources to be available for what you are trying to accomplish. In this case, running on bare metal is a preferred setup.

----------

PS If the key is the same then why don't people buy cheaper upgrade licences and use the key for the full installation?

people used to do this all the time. And windows before Win 8 would actually let you. in XP it did a check for media (asked to insert your previous Windows CD to check)

Windows 7 did away with that check, and really, you could install it fine on a brand new machine.

HOWEVER Windows 8 did something that did royally piss me off (though it is correctable via registry tweak)

During the Windows 8 installation, if you are using an upgrade, it checks the local disk for previous windows installations. if it does NOT detect one, it adds a flag to the registry, so when you go to validate online, the validation fails with the message that you have an upgrade version without a prior version installed.

I really hope Microsoft does away with this. I have purchased copies of Win7, and Win8. But if they make me install one of these prior copies before letting me upgrade to win10, thats an entire process that is wholey uneeded and actually detrimental to the clean installation process.

Renzatic

Suspended
OK this is good to know. I guess I will wait until W10 is out and stick to the Mini in the meanwhile. Don't see the point of buying W8 when my W10 is already paid for by my W7 copy.

Yeah, there's no reason to upgrade to Win8 right now unless you really, really want it. Win10 is coming out in about 4-6 months from now, and you can ride the tech preview for that long, plus about 6 months more.

Now we're gonna get kinda complicated. The big monkey in the wrench are OEM copies. They're not portable licenses, only meant to be installed on one computer, and one computer only. They're cheaper, but that's the sacrifice you make for getting one.

See, I bought a full installation copy of Windows XP years and years and years ago, and have been upgrading ever since. Since I bought that full copy, I can install Windows on any computer I want, so long as it's only on one computer, and one laptop at a time. If you got an OEM copy, you might not be able to do this.

I say might because, for one, I've known people who have upgraded an OEM copy and moved it to multiple machines before. And for two, MS really, really, really wants everyone on Windows 10, and they haven't made any distinctions on what specific versions of Windows can and cannot be upgrade.

This is why some people hate MS. Their licensing schemes are...jiggleh. Though with all that said, since you're on a Mac, you probably bought a full installation at some point, so you're more than likely good. Worst case scenario, you'll have to call MS and spend 15 minutes getting them to activate your copy. In all the years and hundreds of Windows installs I've done in that time, I've had to do this all of twice.

----------

I really hope Microsoft does away with this. I have purchased copies of Win7, and Win8. But if they make me install one of these prior copies before letting me upgrade to win10, thats an entire process that is wholey uneeded and actually detrimental to the clean installation process.

So do I, because it's annoying as hell. They're being so lax with Windows 10 though, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. It's like they finally decided to get rid of all the pointless little things that make moving around Windows so pointlessly complicated.

Though that said, an upgrade copy doesn't check for a full install. It only checks for a folder named "Windows" on your hard drive. If it sees that, it'll install as usual without any licensing goofiness afterwards.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Though that said, an upgrade copy doesn't check for a full install. It only checks for a folder named "Windows" on your hard drive. If it sees that, it'll install as usual without any licensing goofiness afterwards.

Good to know for next time (though I haven't reinstalled win8 once since it came out and still runs smooth)

I did not have a fun time with the win8 install. something Microsoft has never really gotten right is the installation process.

and I'm not some simple consumer user. I've installed dozens of OS's hundreds of times. And Windows has often been some of the buggier install methods (thouhg nothing is ever so bad as windows 95 from floppy disk on a 486)

what I learned, Microsoft Win8 will not install off USB drive if the USB drive is not directly plugged into the computers USB port. You can't even do it through a hub. it kept bombing out at the disk partitioning. it was such a mysterious and undocumented issue and I've encountered it a few times since that first failure.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
The big monkey in the wrench are OEM copies. They're not portable licenses, only meant to be installed on one computer, and one computer only. They're cheaper, but that's the sacrifice you make for getting one.

See, I bought a full installation copy of Windows XP years and years and years ago, and have been upgrading ever since. Since I bought that full copy, I can install Windows on any computer I want, so long as it's only on one computer, and one laptop at a time. If you got an OEM copy, you might not be able to do this.

I say might because, for one, I've known people who have upgraded an OEM copy and moved it to multiple machines before. And for two, MS really, really, really wants everyone on Windows 10, and they haven't made any distinctions on what specific versions of Windows can and cannot be upgrade.

Thats exactly my case, I bought an OEM copy for €40 and put it on my Mac Mini. I wanted to sell my Mac Mini and transfer the W7 copy to the MBP. I hear that MS, especially with old software, turns a blind eye to new installations: you call them and say you had the pc refurbished and they will let you install again on a different machine.

For me does not make sense to spend €200 for Win 8, so will wait hoping I can get W10 on a new machine using my W7 key. If that will be possible I don't know...

onigami

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
It's funny to see how everyone thinks it's okay to run the same copy of Windows on multiple machines (PC + Mac). The Windows license allows it to run on one machine only so you can't just install your one copy on everything you own. Theft is theft, folks.

#Bootcampgate #readTheEULA #softwarePiracyHurtsEveryone

What is being stolen, exactly? There's nothing tangible here being taken here. Data that is being copied can't be theft, for the data isn't being moved anywhere, let alone taken from anyone. It's only being replicated. A duplication is not a removal.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
What is being stolen, exactly? There's nothing tangible here being taken here. Data that is being copied can't be theft, for the data isn't being moved anywhere, let alone taken from anyone. It's only being replicated. A duplication is not a removal.

thats just asinine

and all you're doing is promoting theft of intellectual property.

its a loss of sale. which directly is a loss of revenue and profit. if enough people do this, a company can go out of business or lose money and affect peoples livelihood.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008

There are different installation keys from Windows Vista through 8.1.

The upgrade key works if you are launching the upgrade installation while booted into an existing installation of Windows. You are prompted for the key during the initial steps of the installation

The full keys are used for new installation and can be entered in after Windows has been installed. If you install Windows as a fresh installation and try using an upgrade key, it will tell that you that it is not valid key for that type of installation. However there is a workaround to allow you to install Windows fresh while using an upgrade key. After installing Windows fresh without any key, which you can do, put the disc back in while logged into Windows and run the installer again as an upgrade. This will prompt for your upgrade key which you can enter. The computer will go through the entire installation process again, but as in in-place upgrade. Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, new installations do not ask for a key until you have finished the installation and logged into Windows, which you are then prompted to enter the key and activate.

Last edited:

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
thats just asinine

and all you're doing is promoting theft of intellectual property.

its a loss of sale. which directly is a loss of revenue and profit. if enough people do this, a company can go out of business or lose money and affect peoples livelihood.
Absolute rubbish, nothing is being stolen if one person uses the same operating system on, 1, 2 or even 3 computers. All it does is let the person be free to use his computer wherever he wants, without actually having to move the computer.
Same with games you buy in the Apple Store, if you have 3 iPads you can use it on all of them, I know because I had 3 at once, no extra money is charged, it should be the same with an OS, it's just a convenience thing.
If you can explain to me how this is theft I'll listen, but you'd better make it good.

----------

What a ridiculous comment. You don't need 3 driver's licenses, but you certainly do need 3 separate license plates.
I admit it was a bad analogy but using an operating system on different computers for your own use, is definitely not theft. No one is missing out at all as long as you bought that one license.
If that's theft so is watching a hired movie on two different televisions in different rooms.

----------

There are different installation keys from Windows Vista through 8.1.

The upgrade key works if you are launching the upgrade installation while booted into an existing installation of Windows. You are prompted for the key during the initial steps of the installation

The full keys are used for new installation and can be entered in after Windows has been installed. If you install Windows as a fresh installation and try using an upgrade key, it will tell that you that it is not valid key for that type of installation. However there is a workaround to allow you to install Windows fresh while using an upgrade key. After installing Windows fresh without any key, which you can do, put the disc back in while logged into Windows and run the installer again as an upgrade. This will prompt for your upgrade key which you can enter. The computer will go through the entire installation process again, but as in in-place upgrade. Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, new installations do not ask for a key until you have finished the installation and logged into Windows, which you are then prompted to enter the key and activate.
Everything you said is spot on except the new installations, it's the same, they both activate after it is installed.

Renzatic

Suspended
The upgrade key works if you are launching the upgrade installation while booted into an existing installation of Windows. You are prompted for the key during the initial steps of the installation.

It's been a bit since I've installed Windows from scratch, but from what I remember, installing Windows on a formatted drive always prompts for a key during the install process. For upgrading from within the OS, which is something I've only done for moving from 7 to 8, it'll prompt you for it before it begins the whole process.

An upgrade key works just the same as a full install key when you're doing a from scratch install. As long as its valid, it'll move on from that point to install the OS. You activate and verify once you're on the desktop. It's here where the big difference comes into play, because an upgrade key doesn't always take, and you'll either have to call MS, or do that registry hack to get it to verify.

It ticks me off because the ONLY reason it doesn't always verify is simply because you used an upgrade key on a blank drive while installing Windows. That's literally all there is to it. That registry hack everyone talks about is basically just "was current install upgraded from previous OS yes/no". Once it's done, it'll call home to MS and take your key no problem. They're making you jump through hoops for the sake of jumping through hoops, and it makes me wanna smack someone.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
I admit it was a bad analogy but using an operating system on different computers for your own use, is definitely not theft. No one is missing out at all as long as you bought that one license.
If that's theft so is watching a hired movie on two different televisions in different rooms.

What do you think of people who download OSX for Hackintoshing? It's roughly the same thing.

Though I wouldn't call it theft, because you're right about one thing: you're not physically taking anything. It's more like breach of contract. MS expects you to pay for one license per computer using their software, which isn't an unfair thing to ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.