Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackjason

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
I just did it by saying that I have a 50-50 shot on each one and I have 4 questions, so the denominator is clearly 16. The numerator comes from thinking about that there is precisely one way for you to have a correct solution for each question and incorrect for the rest (like 0001 or 0010 in the list).

You can also consider it as an expansion of (F + T)^4 = F^4 + 4*T*F^3 + 6*T^2*F^2 + 4*F*T^3 + T^4 where T is a correct answer and F is an incorrect answer. Then, having T^1 is having one correct and all the rest false. The coefficient of this is 4 so you will have 4 distinct occurrences of having only one question answered correctly.

My probability is a little rusty, but those are two ways that I was thinking of the solution. Would thinking of each "trial" (answering each question) as independent of the other ones help put it in perspective of AND or OR?

thanks again!
it's very helpful..

thanks again as well to all others who helped me on this ..

matteo2005

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
re: umm...

No not cached because i can go on pages that I've never been on like the mac software strange thing is though is that every-things the same except theres no mac mini at all just a placeholder where it would be ???

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
No not cached because i can go on pages that I've never been on like the mac software strange thing is though is that every-things the same except theres no mac mini at all just a placeholder where it would be ???

who's your ISP? I'm in the UK and have tried on 3 different ISPs and they all show the same... the site is off-line.

--Zed

Eric.

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
who's your ISP? I'm in the UK and have tried on 3 different ISPs and they all show the same... the site is off-line.

--Zed

Please don't feed the troll.

Show us a screenshot of the store with the missing Mac Mini.

matteo2005

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
re: umm...

im on Pipex Homecall but if you run an isp searcher on my ip address it says tiscali

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the probability of obtaining a score of 1 correct on a 4-item true-false test by random guessing is ?

I need help, guys...

how to do this?
thanks.

I count 16 different combinations of T/F and 4 occurences of having exactly 1 answer true. I passed probability and inferential statistics.

beat me to it.

thanks..but how to figure this out without listing all the possibilities..

you don't need to list out the possibilities. all you need to know is the total number of outcomes (2^4 = 16) and the fact that there are four ways to get one question right. like, question 1 is true while everything else is false, question 2 is true while.... 4 desirable outcomes with 16 total possibilities = 1/4.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Its possible mobile.me will be going live allowing us to buy and activate our me.com accounts.

That would be my guess, new hardware would be nice though,

ShadoW

J

jmadlena

i didnt click that LOL :D

First time I've ever come up with anything clever to say in a thread. Well, internet-clever, at least. Haha.

EDIT: I am also very suspicious of tinyurls now... I don't click them anymore.

jackjason

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
beat me to it.

you don't need to list out the possibilities. all you need to know is the total number of outcomes (2^4 = 16) and the fact that there are four ways to get one question right. like, question 1 is true while everything else is false, question 2 is true while.... 4 desirable outcomes with 16 total possibilities = 1/4.

thank you ,too !

J

jmadlena

I never click on tinyurl links. I've seen some things that nearly made me go blind before.

Two Guys One Cup? That is clearly a winner.

EDIT: Didn't know specific words would be censored. My apologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.