Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As is tradition, Apple's online store has gone down ahead of its "Spring Loaded" event, which will be streamed on Apple's website and on YouTube at 10 a.m. Pacific Time today. Apple's online store should become available again when the event has concluded, likely with new products and accessories available to order.

apple-store-down-banner.jpeg

The event will consist of a pre-recorded video with Apple executives speaking from locations around the company's Apple Park headquarters in California. Apple is widely expected to introduce new iPads at the event, including a new iPad Pro with a Mini-LED display, and there could be a few other surprises in store, such as Apple's long-awaited AirTags item trackers or a redesigned iMac with Apple silicon.

This week could also mark the final release of iOS 14.5 following over two months of beta testing, so we could hear about this during the event. The software update is packed with new features, including the ability for iPhone users who are wearing an Apple Watch to unlock the iPhone with Face ID while wearing a mask.
MacRumors will have in-depth coverage of Apple's event across our platforms, including a live blog on our website and live tweets via @MacRumorsLive on Twitter, so be sure to follow along later today to keep track of everything announced.

Update: Check out our Apple Event news hub for complete coverage of today's announcements.

Article Link: Apple Store Goes Down Ahead of 'Spring Loaded' Event Later Today

Last edited:
Reactions: Skobie1kanobie

m4mario

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Still no idea why they do this, certainly not six hours before the event.
Usually to upgrade and test their new skews and product pages in production environment. It has to handle 100's of millions of hits and millions of orders from around the world. If things go wrong, people get fired. Really high stakes here.

Comment

calstanford

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Usually to upgrade and test their new skews and product pages in production environment. It has to handle 100's of millions of hits and millions of orders from around the world. If things go wrong, people get fired. Really high stakes here.
Wow. So glad is the only website out there that sells new SKUs! Quite the difficult thing to do!

Comment

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2016
What if we have all this hype, they close the store and everything... and all we get is Podcasts+, Mail+, Calendar+, and Find My+.
All services just like the 2019 spring event

Comment

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
What if we have all this hype, they close the store and everything... and all we get is Podcasts+, Mail+, Calendar+, and Find My+.
All services just like the 2019 spring event
So far, Apple has only brought the store down when new hardware is going to be announced. Basically it’s a bat signal to the faithful to dust off their wallets and get their payment methods ready.

Comment

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Can’t wait to replace my 2012 MacBook Air I use to scroll through Facebook, with an iPad Pro 12.9 so I can scroll through Facebook in all its mini-LED glory :cool:
My wife uses my 2012 11” MBA for the same purpose. I keep asking her if she wants an upgrade, but she keeps saying no.

I can’t buy another computer for myself so it would really help (me to check out the new M1 machines) if she would let me buy her an upgrade LOL.

Comment

dantracht

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Looking forward to the following from today:

• Multiple "apple releases/announces" posts here.
  • The live blog which I actually appreciate very much.
  • The "everything apple announced" post.
  • The multiple "hands-on with" posts.
Whatever is, is folks. Enjoy the event and don't take it too seriously.

Reactions: PBG4 Dude
Comment

Skobie1kanobie

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021

As is tradition, Apple's online store has gone down ahead of its "Spring Loaded" event, which will be streamed on Apple's website and on YouTube at 10 a.m. Pacific Time today. Apple's online store should become available again when the event has concluded, likely with new products and accessories available to order.

apple-store-down-banner.jpeg

The event will consist of a pre-recorded video with Apple executives speaking from locations around the company's Apple Park headquarters in California. Apple is widely expected to introduce new iPads at the event, including a new iPad Pro with a Mini-LED display, and there could be a few other surprises in store, such as Apple's long-awaited AirTags item trackers or a redesigned iMac with Apple silicon.

This week could also mark the final release of iOS 14.5 following over two months of beta testing, so we could hear about this during the event. The software update is packed with new features, including the ability for iPhone users who are wearing an Apple Watch to unlock the iPhone with Face ID while wearing a mask.

MacRumors will have in-depth coverage of Apple's event across our platforms, including a live blog on our website and live tweets via @MacRumorsLive on Twitter, so be sure to follow along later today to keep track of everything announced.

Article Link: Apple Store Goes Down Ahead of 'Spring Loaded' Event Later Today
Give 👏me👏A 👏new👏AppleTV 👏

Reactions: uecker87 and ad5ll
Comment

m4mario

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
The SKU is just a parameter in a SQL statement. Millions of sales of thousands of SKUs should be just as performing as millions of sales of 1 SKU.

How much trouble do you think Amazon would have handling this level of orders, for example.
Apple's manufacturing in JIT. It has to integrate with several systems from different suppliers who will also be upgrading their system for the new product, sometimes setting up new ones.
Also several Apple stores have pick up options and inventory has to be managed across these stores. A database entry is not a problem. What that database entry means across several systems both digital and physical is a whole other thing.
I don't think Amazon ever handles a major product launch like Apple does where everything from supply chain to physical stores has to reorganize to accommodate the new product.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.