Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
To clear up the Crash issues, it seems to crash when trying to verify with AT&T servers. Hmmmm, should we suspect anything better :rolleyes:
That doesn't make it AT&T's fault. The app should gracefully handle the failure without crashing.

The web version of the store isn't working any better at this point. Neither Apple nor AT&T seem to have anticipated that there could be a burst of traffic today. Stunning.

solarthecat

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
Nottingham, UK
If I am about to spend hundreds of pounds on Apple hardware I would rather have the full benefit of viewing the products and specs on their main website and have the added benefit of clicking discount links from third party referral sites like Quidco and Nectar...

But for armchair browsing and little flirt purchases of bumpers, iTunes cards and other spontaneous ephemera then i guess it wont do any harm....

That's if they bother to make a UK version for me - LOL :D

kupua

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
That doesn't make it AT&T's fault. The app should gracefully handle the failure without crashing.

The web version of the store isn't working any better at this point. Neither Apple nor AT&T seem to have anticipated that there could be a burst of traffic today. Stunning.

So you've proved my point. Ahh so sweet

An Apple could have informed AT&T to use larger servers, if they heed or not, we'll never know. But remember, the horse doesn't need to drink. So the buck stops with AT&T

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
so....

Have been trying to pre-order iP4 all morning with no avail...

Has anyone successfully pre-ordered from :apple:'s website or on the iPhone App?
If so, and you choose the in store pickup, do you have to pay if full at the time of reservation or do you pay when you pick it up?

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
So you've proved my point. Ahh so sweet

An Apple could have informed AT&T to use larger servers, if they heed or not, we'll never know. But remember, the horse doesn't need to drink. So the buck stops with AT&T
You know how I know you've never run a server farm? ;)

fliptastic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
proceeding in the system

i got through at one point on both apple and att's systems. but it kept telling me that in order to proceed, i had to choose a data plan. i am already grandfathered into the $30 unlimited (even though its not really unlimited... but that's a different story) so I purposely did not proceed because i am not giving up my current plan and do not want to go through the headache of trying to be placed back into the unlimited plan if I am actually switched. On the ATT site, it said if I wanted to keep my current plan to choose "existing plan" (or something along those lines - but the option wasn't there and I couldn't go forward until I selected a new data plan, which I didn't do). Did anyone else have similar issues and if so, what did you choose to do?

OOPS MEANT TO POST ON ANOTHER THREAD. SORRY!

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
yea, heard people had success with getting their pre-orders through the app, but just be warned it's in-store pickup only it seems... or maybe I haven't gotten to the step, gave me an error when processing...

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
More and more of this is happening. Apple claim 200,000 apps but seriously I've got nothing better than a Zune marketplace worth of availability here.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I was able to reserve two iPhones from the App with success... finally!

EDIT: To clarify, I used two different iPhones to each order the new one.

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
No Problems

I had no problems with the app at all. I had other business to take care of and didn't have a chance to use the app until 10:45 Pacific time, but everything went smoothly. I think I will an hour before closing time on 6/24 to pick up mine and avoid the onslaught of customers.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Face-palm

For a company that prides itself on being simple and easy to use, Apple sure has missed the bandwagon here...

Apple, please tell me...
Why do we need an App store app, an iTunes app, AND an 'Apple Store' app!?
JUST F'N COMBINE ALL THREE APPS ALREADY.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
I downloaded this today in gErmany (from a US account) and managed to book a personal shopping appointment in Munich with it :) now if only I could get it to show local store prices.... It will come Im sure.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
For a company that prides itself on being simple and easy to use, Apple sure has missed the bandwagon here...

Apple, please tell me...
Why do we need an App store app, an iTunes app, AND an 'Apple Store' app!?
JUST F'N COMBINE ALL THREE APPS ALREADY.

And then everyone would whinge about bloat and divergence, like the do for the desktop version of iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.