Apple Store Opening Early for iPad-only Sales

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JayDH, Mar 14, 2011.

1. JayDH macrumors 6502

Just called my local Apple Store in Clarendon, Arlington, VA and was told that beginning tomorrow, March 15, they will be opening an hour early at 9:00am for iPad-only sales.

2. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

What difference will opening time make if they don't have enough in stock? You could start selling them at noon if you have 20 and they're all bought immediately. This seems odd...:rolleyes:

3. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

He told me they they didn't have any today, which seemed strange because they most certainly are getting a shipment today.

I suspect that they won't sell any today and will hold each daily shipment for the next morning. That way they can get the iPad 2 crowd taken care of each morning and the rest of the day they can just tell everyone that they won't have any until the next morning.

4. Joey225 macrumors member

Maybe it's to reduce traffic in the store and wait times for customers buying other items and services. Makes sense to me at least.

5. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

How is this going to work? I called my local store and they said they don't anticipate getting any today. So, how could they open early to sell inventory they don't have? Are shipments received before 9am?

6. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

I think they will get a shipment today and hold it for tomorrow morning. Then hold tomorrow's shipment for the next morning and so on.

7. 548827 macrumors member

I would get there early if I was you...The units could go quickly if people are returning or buying multiple items. Hope you get what you want.

8. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I just confirmed this with my local Apple Store; however, they prefaced it by saying that they can't confirm if they'll actually have it in stock. I'm not sure if I can get late to work on the off-chance of inventory. I can see waiting in line and not getting one due to limited stock, but none at all...not so sure.:(

9. epictempo macrumors regular

All the Apple stores in Houston told me to check back on Tuesday when I called on Saturday. I thought it peculiar until now.

10. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Hope so, I can't line up until Wednesday morning. Hoping they won't be out by the time I get there... such BS..

of course they are trying to do a 29 country launch next Friday.

11. macteacher! macrumors newbie

:(

Just called the St. Louis West County store and the guy had no idea what I was talking about:(. Not sure about the Galleria location.:confused:

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

which part exactly is such BS? what do they owe you?

13. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Called the Apple Store in the Oaks Mall (Thousand Oaks, CA) and he said he couldn't confirm anything but to call back later tonight for confirmation.

I'll keep you posted as this could be happening at any store.

14. barrett14 macrumors regular

I called my local store and the guy said that he didn't know of the store opening early... DO you guys think they will? I can't decide if I should go line up at 7am or not... it would suck to do that and leave empty handed.

15. cusehoops11 macrumors newbie

Syracuse, NY store will be opening at 9 AM Tuesday as well.

16. tstarks33 macrumors regular

UWS Store in Manhattan will NOT be opening early.

17. aserafin macrumors member

Just got off of the phone with the Indianapolis Keystone mall store - not opening early tomorrow and no iPad 2 stock available currently

18. COSWORTH macrumors regular

They are trying to get lines, and make the news since the earthquake/tsunami trumped their plans to be the in the media spotlight march 11th

19. ManicApple macrumors newbie

That is interesting. I called about an hour ago and the guy said that they would actually be opening at 8am. He said that they will be open for "training and stuff" but I could, "come in and buy something if I would like". This stuck me as odd because they don't usually open until 10am.

20. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'll just wait till Best Buy gets them in. At least I can check inventory online before I waste my time driving over there. This Apple BS about not telling you if they have any and if they'll open early is crazy. I don't have time to stand in line for something that may or may not be in stock. Last year I was able to get one at BB one morning about a week or so after the iPad was released. I just check it every morning. They had gotten them in and sold none of them. The employees didn't even know they had them in stock.

21. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that it is BS that Apple doesn't provide a way to check inventory. In the past, they have offered a website with inventory at each store for iPhones. It would be really easy to do for the iPad 2. They just want to generate hype over the iPad and own the news cycle.

22. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

+1 Your a Winner!!!

23. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Just a guess but maybe they don't want people seeing that no stores have any in stock.

24. epictempo macrumors regular

I believe it. Japan took all their shine on Friday. Stores are opening up early tomorrow for a second unofficial launch, lines will probably long enough once again to generate local news, damn Apple is good.