Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PantherCreek

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
When i purchased my first MacBook, I walked into the Apple store ready to buy the top of the line MacBook Pro, but was talked into the regular old MacBook. I just used it for school, saved me a ton of money, and I'm glad I listened.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Screen size is the most important thing in a desktop computer.

If not, then buy a macbook. At least you can carry it around.

I have a 24", and the 27" is hugely better.

The 21" looks like a notebook screen to me.

Couldn't have said that better myself, well said :)

Rilely

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Washington, D.C.
I would get the 27 Inch

If it were me, I would get the 27". The larger screen comes in handy and you know what, one day I didn't care about photography and the next day I did. If you can afford to go above and beyond you should. It is insurance and the 27" is beautiful!

When I buy computers I tend to max out everything because I don't plan to buy one again for a few years. I get what I want and I save until I can do that.

Definitely get the 27"!

Disclaimer: If you could have spent the money on better specs in a 21.5 that may be a better option as well. Seeing as how you bought the stock model, I don't see this happening. Sometimes you can save money on the screen to get more processing power or a SSD combo drive or some such.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
change the tracking speed of your mouse.

Can't you increase the mouse sensitivity to compensate for the larger screen?

No thanks. I've tried all the prescribed fixes and like I stated earlier, for my tastes, I prefer the 21.5" display. For me, this sized display works and feels appropriate to my preferences.

I have my Logitech Peformance MX mouse set to 1500 dpi with an average speed. These settings allow me to move my cursor around the perimeter of my display without having to lift my hand. Additionally, the cursor is neither too fast or too slow.

Again, like I stated earlier, for my personal tastes the 21.5" display is perfect.

:)

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
That's why I think that the 24" is the perfect size. It's not too big and it's not too small. It's just right, LOL. I'm very sad that I won't be able to get another one when I make the upgrade

namelessme

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I don't have experience with apple store salesmen, as before my mini purchase I just bought windows machines. But as a rule, I disregard almost anything they say. One is always much better doing their own research. Most sales people tend to be either ignorant or simply wish to push whatever merchandise they have in stock/get most profit from.

If you want a 27" screen, regardless of CPU power, get the 27" imac. It's really a simple thing. It isn't a waste of money if you want a larger screen. It's not like you can upgrade it later on the 21.5" model.

But my advice would actually be to buy neither -- right now. Wait until Ivy Bridges come out, and then either get the faster machine, or pick up the older one at a discount.

Edit: And I just saw where the OP said waiting is not an option, so I guess Ivy Bridges aren't a choice.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I don't have experience with apple store salesmen, as before my mini purchase I just bought windows machines. But as a rule, I disregard almost anything they say. One is always much better doing their own research. Most sales people tend to be either ignorant or simply wish to push whatever merchandise they have in stock/get most profit from.

Apple Retail isn't motivated at all by profit margins or larger subtotals.

They do care about attachment rates (AppleCare and Beyond the Box sales) and NetPromoter. As to the quality of individual employees that can vary: But every Apple Retail employee gets minimally two weeks of intensive training before they are even allowed to talk to customers. They tend to know a lot more than your average electronics store employee.

Last edited:

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
I Personally will be buying 27inch, I currenttly have a dual monitor pc and will still want screen estate in one screen.

In regards to the staff at Apple, like anywhere you get good ones and poor ones, apple stores have a lot of staff and so will have have a lot of variation no matter how good the training. Sometimes you find ones who actually know about Apple the product, how computers work. Unfortunately at the one I go to (Manchester, Uk) many of the satff seem to be more about 'look at me i'm wearing an apple t-shirt, i'm cool!'.

Anyway I wondered off on a tangent. The salesperson advised a 21inch on the basis of what you said. Try the 21inch, and if in a week it is seeming small, swap it and upgrade as they said.

zballer

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I too have just recently purchased the 27' iMac and I also have a 24' monitor right next to it. I don't do video editing, but it is a nice addition to have the extra real estate for when I have multiple documents that I am working off of and also to have for photos. It is nice to have multiple screens for doing three or four projects at one time. Personally I have wrote off some of the "experts" at the Apple Store and have used this forum for more expert advice. Just my two cents.

Grease2310

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
Personally I have wrote off some of the "experts" at the Apple Store and have used this forum for more expert advice. Just my two cents.

Somewhere there is a genius working at Wal-Mart who's just not motivated enough to change the world, and elsewhere there is a doctor who barely passed medical school operating on your child. The fact is we have to be objective and judge everyone we interact with on a person by person basis and not whether they work for Apple, a hospital, or a garbage dump. :eek:

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I went from having 2 24 inch screens to one 27, although sometimes I miss having a second monitor (might add one in the future), a 21.5 inch would be too small for me. I like having multiple things open side by side at once

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
With all the talk of size mattering (its "too big", "too small" or "just right") I hereby issue the official "That's what she said." blanket-response to this entire thread. :D

With regard to "He basically told me I was stupid...", and you still made a purchase from that location? I would've told him where he could stick his opinion and gone elsewhere and picked up that sweet, sweet 27" iMac I coveted for 9 months. ;)

Last edited:

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I have my Mac Pro hooked up to my 60" Pioneer monitor to watch movies, so I can't say that getting a 27" is silly, particularly since I use a 32" Vizio as my regular monitor. The key question is what you want to do. Whether someone considers it an overbuy, i.e. you don't need that big a screen for how you use it, do what makes you feel right. (I am not advocating hedonism here, but it's easier to view and read on a 27" than a 21" screen.)

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I am a tech addict. I barely can stand to wait 2 years before replacing either my laptop or main machine.

I bought the 27" iMac in 2008 mostly for playing World of Warcraft. I have not regretted it one day since. I LOVE the screen. Sometimes I just used to kick back and watch a movie with my feet on my desk rather than go down to the colder basement etc and the screen is lovely.

My roommate at the time who had dual monitors definately had monitor envy and is likely going to purchase a 27" iMac in the future.

My parents have the 21.5" iMac and seem quite content with it for their use.

If you want the bigger screen, go with it. Since it is not a cost or space issue for you, might as well go big or go home....

just my opinion.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
So 9 months ago it was decided we would by an imac for the house when I got my bonus in March. Here we are in March and after 9 months of research i finally decided on the 27inch imac. (I even put it in my signature already!)

Fast forward to today and at the Apple Store said I wanted to purchase said imac and the rep asked me what i would be using it for and why i wanted the 27 inch. My response was the 21.5 looked small to me (use a 21" monitor everyday for work, see friends 21.5 imacs at their houses) - and we have a large space where we are putting it so why not. Also plan to have it awhile and don't want to look back and regret decision even if i don't have immeadiate use.

He basically told me I was stupid to spend the extra money on the screen since I wasn't doing any heavy video editing or gaming, and I should just get one of the 21.5 models and basically told me the lesser one would be plenty for all our music, movies, picturs, documents, etc...

So i left with a 21.5 to test out and see how I like it, returning it if not. However I am curious if i should agree with his suggestion or not? Is the 27in only beneficial to those who really need the screen specs? Do any recreational users have a 27 inch they regret? I'm so confused. My logic for wanting a 27in might be stupid, but i don't love the 21.5...it looks so small on my huge workspace!!! :confused:

Please share thoughts - and waiting for 2012 imac not an option, so don't waste your time

i think the same with the 21.5" imac, looks like a 17" to me, but im coming for 6ft tall, so that is my opinion.

and anyway, its your money, and while the apple rep was helpful, with saying that you will never utilize the actual power of it all, you may have wanted the iMac 27" for its size (hopefully). The sweet spot for computers nowadays is 23" - 24". When i last went into the apple store, the 21.5" imacs looked, like as stated before, 17" computers. the 27", on the other hand, looked to big and, for me too expensive.

but yes, don't let someones advice stop you from buying what yu want. and if you dont like the 21" iMac, go back in and exchange it for a 27" for a few more bucks.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
If you want the 27 inch, you want the 27 inch. It's not like you're making a baseless decision. You know how big the 21.5 incher is and you want something bigger.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
you can get the 27 inch config same as the upgraded 21 for the same money through apples refurbished store. its like you get the larger screen for free. i think you should return the 21 and get the 27 from the online refurbished store.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
If budget allows and your heart desires it then follow your heart or you might very well regret it, and might cost you a good penny down the road if you change your mind past your return period.

I love the real world practicality, efficiency, and multitask capability offered by a higher resolution physically larger monitor. Being able to watch a movie or play a game while browsing on safari in a dedicated space next door is invaluable to me.

The 27" iMac will look small once you bring it home and worked on it for a few days. That effect will go away very quickly, at least for me anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.