Apple Stores Being Updated With New 3D Window Displays

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the upcoming iPhone event that's set to kick off tomorrow, some Apple Store locations will have their windows blocked off with black curtains in order to make changes to the front window displays.

Twitter user Brian Roemmele yesterday tweeted a teaser about the upcoming change, and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman explained in another tweet that Apple is planning to bring back "the old-school 3D front windows" at some store locations.

Reason: It's because they're bringing back the old-school 3D front windows at some stores. Here are some old examples. I liked these. https://t.co/IQBbFF0tCn pic.twitter.com/LxhBlTUo65 - Mark Gurman (@markgurman) September 9, 2019

An Apple retail employee contacted MacRumors and confirmed Gurman's report. Apple Store workers recently practiced putting up the black curtains and were also instructed to clean out and fix floor mechanisms that haven't been used in years. This likely includes wires and other equipment used for anchoring the front displays.

Apple previously used intricate, eye-catching window displays with cutouts and designs showing off new products and features, but the practice was discontinued with the launch of the updated Apple Store designs.

Former Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts and Jony Ive worked on the updated Apple Stores, but Ahrendts has since departed and Ive is set to leave the company at the end of the year, which is perhaps why Apple is now prepared to make some changes. Deirdre O'Brien, Apple's head of people, has taken over the company's retail initiatives.

Apple frequently changed its window display setups back when it used window displays, and many of the designs are still well known, such as the colored balls used for the iPhone 5c launch.

In some stores that have seen redesigns, it's not clear how the new window displays will work, but it looks like many retail store displays will soon get more interesting to look at.

Article Link: Apple Stores Being Updated With New 3D Window Displays

Reactions: orbital~debris

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
While the teams that Ive and Ahrendts built are all still the same, and therefore all of the people who are truly responsible for most of the decisions over recent years are still at Apple—I have a feeling that their departures will greatly alter the direction Apple decides to go, at least when it comes to details like this. While the leaders don't do most of the work, it seems at Apple that they are the tastemakers: if Ive didn't like something, it simply wouldn't happen. I'm really excited to see what they do with new leadership, because stuff like this and the rainbow Apple logo are fairly interesting departures from the more austere, muted Apple we've come to know for a while now.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
That sounds cool. Ahrendts tried to make the store a fashion/designer location. It wasn’t bad, it was just...different. I’m glad to maybe see stuff like this return.
[doublepost=1568048647][/doublepost]
And maybe new AR features with Apple Tags tomorrow?
I honestly think it'll be something to do with AR, as previous rumors have stated that beyond the three cameras just doing their individual things, they'd be a big boost to AR quality.

Man, thought we were getting a 17 inch MacBook Pro again for a second.
I know right? You and me both.

Reactions: SDJim

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
3D Window display just in time to replace 3D Touch.

I've often wondered about this. With the betas of iOS 13 I used on my XS Max, it was gone completely and replaced with the press and hold method. Apple sold many iPhone models with 3D Touch as a selling point, something to differentiate models, and now they are getting rid of it with a software update.

Doesn't it seem to be a bit dirty to sell a product with an advertised feature, only to then retroactively remove said feature down the road?

Logic368

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
I am SO ready for a retro Apple (retro being, in my mind, a throwback to the mid 2000’s). Truly the golden era of Apple, where they weren’t afraid to make fun niche products, such as the iPod Shuffle. There was a time when Apple products really were fun! Where you felt excited to have an iPod or an iPhone in your pocket. It’s gotten so clinical over the years. Ive’s flat design plus Arendts making the stores “fashion designer” locations. Isn’t there a happy medium between 3D everything and completely flat? Isn’t there a way to make the products themselves trendy instead of relegating that to colorful cases? What the heck is the point of making the most beautiful product in the world just to cover it up in rubber?!

Really hoping we get back to the good ol’ days.

Northern Man

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
If the new iPhone is what all the leaks are showing, nothing else matters.
It's gonna be a failure no matter what the store display is made of...
No pun intended but this is just window dressing. Apple must focus on better quality control, better keyboard for the laptops, more transparency on many fronts, fewer models of products, paying attention to customers, revising the pricing back to sane levels and having some intelligent focus groups review the keynote performances before they go live to hopefully avoid some of the recent embarrassing and and cringe-worthy incidents (to all but the trained seals who whoop and holler both in the auditorium and at home. Although it was a breath of fresh air when some in the auditorium gasped at the price of the stand during the last event.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I sure hope this signals the beginning of the end of flat, grey, hard to see UIs with tiny or non-existent controls and an excess of minimalism (is minimalism even minimalism anymore when it is extreme, or does that just make it another form of excess?) I just want things to be usable, visible, and functional again.

iFan

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
I used to put those window displays together and they were not fun at all. The first "3D App" window would get shipped to the store in a million different pieces. I took me over 40 hours to measure the fishing line, cut the individual apps out, piece them together etc and hang them. They improved on future versions by having them more pre-assembled in advance. The final result always looked nice, though! (Until little kids ran into the window and broke things)

Reactions: aksala and Mactendo

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
I am SO ready for a retro Apple (retro being, in my mind, a throwback to the mid 2000’s). Truly the golden era of Apple, where they weren’t afraid to make fun niche products, such as the iPod Shuffle. There was a time when Apple products really were fun! Where you felt excited to have an iPod or an iPhone in your pocket. It’s gotten so clinical over the years. Ive’s flat design plus Arendts making the stores “fashion designer” locations. Isn’t there a happy medium between 3D everything and completely flat? Isn’t there a way to make the products themselves trendy instead of relegating that to colorful cases? What the heck is the point of making the most beautiful product in the world just to cover it up in rubber?!

Really hoping we get back to the good ol’ days.
No pun intended but this is just window dressing. Apple must focus on better quality control, better keyboard for the laptops, more transparency on many fronts, fewer models of products, paying attention to customers, revising the pricing back to sane levels and having some intelligent focus groups review the keynote performances before they go live to hopefully avoid some of the recent embarrassing and and cringe-worthy incidents (to all but the trained seals who whoop and holler both in the auditorium and at home. Although it was a breath of fresh air when some in the auditorium gasped at the price of the stand during the last event.
I sure hope this signals the beginning of the end of flat, grey, hard to see UIs with tiny or non-existent controls and an excess of minimalism (is minimalism even minimalism anymore when it is extreme, or does that just make it another form of excess?) I just want things to be usable, visible, and functional again.
Mostly agree, but...I think the times are changing, maybe they were too ffing busy with that spaceship, the iMac Pro, Mac mini and new Mac Pro all seem very decent products, pricing though on the other hand...UGH.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
And maybe new AR features with Apple Tags tomorrow?
I almost forgot about Apple tags. It’s probably what I’m looking forward to most tomorrow. There’s a few things I can think of attaching them too. I just hope they can easily be attached to keychains, but I’m sure the accessory market will take care of that.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
I almost forgot about Apple tags. It’s probably what I’m looking forward to most tomorrow. There’s a few things I can think of attaching them too. I just hope they can easily be attached to keychains, but I’m sure the accessory market will take care of that.
That price though...;)

Expect them not to be cheap.

I am a minimalist but me too think they went too far, like their last decade much better than this one.

Reactions: martyjmclean

jaytv111

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
A window display, interesting. They changed my nearest Apple store to have nothing but doors in the front (store was moved and rebuilt). Gonna close some of the doors on the left and right to make way for the window displays?

Reactions: jazz1