Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While fine print on Apple's website says Studio Display stands and VESA mount adapters are "not interchangeable," customers can visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have their Studio Display reconfigured after purchase.

studio-display-stand.jpg

For example, if a customer bought a Studio Display with the standard tilt-adjustable stand and later decides they want to use a VESA mount adapter, they can book a service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and have one installed, according to internal documentation obtained by MacRumors.

Likewise, if a customer bought a Studio Display with a tilt-adjustable stand and later decides they want both a tilt- and height-adjustable stand, an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider can accommodate this request. Pricing will vary based on the region, the type of stand or mount being installed, and the cost of labor.

The standalone stands and VESA mount upgrade kits are only available to certified technicians and are not sold through Apple's online store.

Studio Display orders began arriving to customers last week. Key features of the display include a 27-inch screen size, 5K resolution, a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera with Center Stage, a six-speaker sound system with Spatial Audio, one Thunderbolt 3 port, and three USB-C ports. Pricing starts at $1,599 in the United States for a model with standard glass and a tilt-adjustable stand, with several upgrade options available.

Article Link: Apple Stores Can Upgrade a Studio Display's Stand After Purchase

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Ah, so just like the 24" iMac.

And like the 24" iMac, I presume this is done by replacing the entire back panel with one that has the desired option.

I was expecting this would be the case before the reports said that it could not be done, but pleased to see that it can be done.

CthuluLemon

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2020
What do you want to bet there's some sort of software/firmware integration to prevent people from doing this themselves?

Am I serious? Maybe.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple revealed their was some "Apple iVESA+ Max Certification" chips in the mount and back of the display that bricks the monitor if an "unauthorized" retailer or individual makes the change themselves, or tries to use a third-party mount. If Tim Cook can charge a fee, Tim Cook is going to charge a fee.

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Ah, so just like the 24" iMac.

And like the 24" iMac, I presume this is done by replacing the entire back panel with one that has the desired option.

I was expecting this would be the case before the reports said that it could not be done, but pleased to see that it can be done.
From what I have seen, you need to remove the cover glass and display and unscrew the stand from under the display. You can then remove the existing stand and I imagine install the desired stand. I don't see any "chip" or other software limitation to this, just not a very easy thing to do.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
This should be a simple matter of unscrewing a few screws, changing bases/adaptors, and then screwing the screws back in. This reminds me of an old Chrysler I had for which one had to pull the radiator to change a headlight.
You'd think, but look up on youtube some of the disaster video from snazzy labs and others when they tried to have it changed on the old iMacs. Not sure how they are attached exactly but even Apple employees were absolutely destroying the backs of these.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i ain't going to lie, i have not seen a stand nicer than apple's. I owned the LG 5K and it was height adjustable. It was wonky, tapping the desk wobbles the monitor, etc. you really get what you pay for sometime. The problem with apple is there aren't many competitors in the top end space.

pauloregan

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Where did apple say the power cable is fixed and the stand could not be changed after purchase?
No idea about the power cable but when you go to buy the monitor it says on the Apple website during purchasing "Note: Each stand or mount adapter is built in. They are not interchangeable, so it’s important to consider your workspace needs at the time of purchase."

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
The height-adjustable stand is pretty pointless in my opinion. It's inflexible and takes up too much space.

The lowest position is where it would be with the non-height-adjustable stand, so you don't gain any flexibility in the downward direction. In the upward direction you have 10 cm flexibility, which is not enough to be useful for many use cases, e.g. setting the display so high that your MacBook screen fits underneath it.

If you want height-adjustable, VESA mount + good third party arm makes way more sense. At least then you have actual flexibility, not a few inches of pseudo-flexibility.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Any guesses to labor cost?

My first thought was this classic scene from the original Vacation...

;)

However, that attempt to try to make some strangers laugh aside, it is very good that there is at least a way, as being locked into a single option is really "too much" for many consumers. Monitors can easily last 10+ years (see the chorus of those "upgrading" from Apple's previously-branded monitors that are "still working"). 10+ years is a long time to be married to only a single option.

Had I been in the market for this monitor to pair with the new Mac Studio sitting on my desk, the ONLY option I would have chosen is the VESA mount, so I would give myself the flexibility to evolve stand situations over the next decade. With this bit of news, that is not necessarily as important now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.