Apple Stores in Beijing Screening Customers for Fever Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As expected, Apple reopened its five retail stores in the Beijing area today as the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak in China continues.

In a video shared by CNBC senior correspondent Eunice Yoon, Apple employees can be seen checking the body temperatures of customers as they enter the store for signs of fever. Yoon says Apple is also limiting the number of customers allowed in the store at once, resulting in smaller crowds than normally seen.

The stores in Beijing have reduced hours of 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time. Apple's other stores in China remain closed until further notice.

There remains a lot of uncertainty regarding the coronavirus outbreak, which has resulted in extended shipping estimates for some Apple products and could impact the company's overall revenue this quarter. Apple operates over 40 stores in China, which represents less than 10 percent of its retail locations worldwide.

Apple recently provided its retail stores, authorized service providers, and carrier partners with an enhanced cleaning guide that recommends that demo Apple products be cleaned at least twice per day. The document, shared with MacRumors, contains best practices for using microfiber cloths as well as hand washing tips for employees.

Article Link: Apple Stores in Beijing Screening Customers for Fever Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

Last edited:

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
England, UK, Europe
Following the COVID-19 outbreak, I could see Apple decide to get involved in this area of health, perhaps looking into how their current & future technologies could be brought to bear on identifying or tracking diseases of this nature.

I think they could contribute significantly in this field, building on what they’ve learned from developing Apple Watch.

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
It does little good to check for fever since people are contagious 5-14 days prior to fever. It doesn't hurt, but this is security health theater solely to calm people.

I can see them perhaps finding later that if my normal temperature is 97.6, in the 5-14 days prior to a traditional fever my temp was 98.5-98.9. An Apple Watch that knows your individual normal temperature and the same information from huge populations could perhaps be a good diagnostic tool in a few years. If it ever measures body temp.

Last edited:

iFan

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
Are they at least using some sort of solution to spray on the demo products to kill any corvid-19?
A microfibre cloth isn't going to do anything.
10 years ago we actually used a cleaning solution in the stores that was alcohol based and killed just about everything. It was called LYMSAT (in wipe form.) It had the unfortunate side-effect of destroying the oleophobic coating on the screens over time and so eventually the decision was made to switch to eyeglass cleaning solutions (Bausch and Lomb.) I'm not sure what they use today.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I suspect sales are going to be much lower in the stores they are opening given the shorter opening times, less people allowed in store and less people out and about in general. Opening these stores seems an unnecessary risk to staff. Tim should go to the stores and tell the staff that he's not putting them at risk.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Obviously not.
As much as can be done is being done (within the reason of human decency). Sadly the vast majority of what is being done is mainly expected to calm the public rather than provide concrete screening.

The most important thing for everyone is to be extremely vigilant and constantly wash your hands (with a strong sanitizer) and do not touch your face.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
One more critical point to take note of:

As per literature from UpToDate (from an NIH study I believe):

“human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05-0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective”

There for it is crucial that alcohol based cleansers be used on both surfaces and hands repeatedly in any areas with traffic.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
It's highly contagious even when non-symptomatic. Didn't they get that memo?
Maybe they get their memos from the WHO...

According to recent reports, it may be possible that people infected with 2019-nCoV may be infectious before showing significant symptoms. However, based on currently available data, the people who have symptoms are causing the majority of virus spread.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Why are they leaving the Beijing store open when all others are closed?
If you consider the extra overhead associated with screening people, doorman/bouncer, extra sanitizing at the end of the day and so on...that adds up. Closing ALL the stores will cause defection to other manufacturers. Keeping one store open forces all potential buyers to come to one place. People have waited in lines for days waiting to get Apple stuff.

Reactions: jjm3

ravenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
It does little good to check for fever since people are contagious 5-14 days prior to fever. It doesn't hurt, but is security health theater.
Where'd you get that information? Last I heard this morning from more official sources than some random place off the Internet it's at best not known whether it's transmissible without symptoms. Given the relatively small number of cases compared to say the flu, I highly doubt its transmitted 14 days before showing symptoms.

The shareholders must be horrified at the potential loss of profits, so I'm sure Apple is being pressured to reopen ASAP.

Greed has no boundaries.
Where the employees being paid while the store was closed? Why assume it's shareholders who are pressuring the store to open? I haven't heard one word about concern over retail stores being closed from shareholders. Most people recognize that making your customers ill isn't good for business.

Reactions: Duane Martin