Apple Stores in Beijing Screening Customers for Fever Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
alcohol kills bacteria, doesn’t affect viruses
Just FYI:

... 90% alcohol rubs ... kill many kinds of viruses, including enveloped viruses such as the flu virus, the common cold virus, and HIV, though is notably ineffective against the rabies virus.[18][19][20]

90% alcohol rubs are more effective against viruses than most other forms of hand washing.[21] Isopropyl alcohol will kill 99.99 % or more of all non-spore forming bacteria in less than 30 seconds, both in the laboratory and on human skin.[16][22]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_sanitizer#cite_note-Hibbard_194–207-22

And 70% alcohol sanitizer can do nearly the same thing.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
There are a lot of uninformed people posting on the subject of SARS-CoV-2 (the name of the virus) and COVID-19 (the name of the disease it causes). It is unfortunate that it has become commonplace and acceptable to make broad, uninformed statements that can actually cause more harm than good (sharpie, anyone?). It comes from the top.

So, there is little evidence that SARS-CoV-2 can be spread by a person without symptoms which, with half a seconds thought, makes sense. If you don't have a cough, a runny nose, or any other symptom what exactly do you think is the mechanism for spreading the disease? Sure, kissing could spread it but, unfortunately, I seldom get kissed when going in the Apple store. Your experience may vary. Just in case, don't lick the iPhones on display because if the last person to lick the phone had the virus you could be in trouble. If you handle any devices use an alcohol based hand sanitizer and stop touching your face (good luck with that one).

Alcohol rubs have proven effective against coronaviruses including the common cold, flu, and SARS-CoV-2. Anyone who has taken a cruise ship will be disappointed to learn they are not effective against norovirus (commonly referred to as the stomach flu). Kind of makes you question the whole "washy washy" thing in the cafeteria but whatever.

In any case, let's stay rationale and use our critical thinking skills when discussing the topic. Oh, I hate to break it to you (spoiler alert) but 9-11 was NOT an inside job, the Americans DID land astronauts on the moon, and the earth is actually a SPHERE in space.

Airforcekid

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
It does little good to check for fever since people are contagious 5-14 days prior to fever. It doesn't hurt, but this is security health theater solely to calm people.

I can see them perhaps finding later that if my normal temperature is 97.6, in the 5-14 days prior to a traditional fever my temp was 98.5-98.9. An Apple Watch that knows your individual normal temperature and the same information from huge populations could perhaps be a good diagnostic tool in a few years. If it ever measures body temp.
Some people are now symptom free but contagious for up to 24 days. This means people even quarantined in the US could be released and cleared and spread it for over a week before falling ill based on the 14 day rule most places follow.

- - Post merged: - -

Where'd you get that information? Last I heard this morning from more official sources than some random place off the Internet it's at best not known whether it's transmissible without symptoms. Given the relatively small number of cases compared to say the flu, I highly doubt its transmitted 14 days before showing symptoms.
I'm stationed at a base where we are quarantining Americans returning from China. We were briefed by the CDC that people not showing symptoms can spread it however without coughing etc its not as easy to catch however its possible if you are in close contact (Kissing,sharing drinks) or confined spaces (car,airplane).

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

ApostolisApo

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
Maybe they get their memos from the WHO...

Wow! Do you really think that by just quoting official medical resources and implying that multi-billion business executives probably have thought about a thing or two about the epidemic is gonna prove anything to any know-it-all roaming in the internet??

Governments and scientists are stupid and corrupted, you should learn one thing or two by random people in electronics firm fan sites!

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
England, UK, Europe
There are a lot of uninformed people posting on the subject of SARS-CoV-2 (the name of the virus) and COVID-19 (the name of the disease it causes).
Thanks for mentioning this - I'd read about the naming both prior to it happening and after a name had been announced, but this was the first time I'd seen reference to the 'SARS-CoV-2' name.

I looked it up and found an interesting summary which in case anyone else is interested, is here: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/bit-chaotic-christening-new-coronavirus-and-its-disease-name-create-confusion

But given the association with the 2002/03 outbreak, 'SARS-CoV-2' as a name may add to anxiety (a number of factors were considered by the WHO for adopting the other name, 'COVID-19').

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Some people are now symptom free but contagious for up to 24 days.
You are confusing "incubation period", which is what the article says, with being contagious; they do not mean the same thing.

Given that people in an Apple Store are unlikely to be randomly sharing drinks with, sharing kisses with, nor suddenly magically appearing in a car beside complete strangers, it is not clear to me what point you are trying to make. Ease up on the hysteria.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
I still don’t quite get how a temp reading can catch someone with the CoV during the incubation period.
It can’t, but infected and infectious aren’t the same thing. People who aren’t showing any symptoms are usually less infectious because there is less of the virus in their system, and they aren’t coughing saliva droplets into the environment and onto their hands.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks for mentioning this - I'd read about the naming both prior to it happening and after a name had been announced, but this was the first time I'd seen reference to the 'SARS-CoV-2' name.

I looked it up and found an interesting summary which in case anyone else is interested, is here: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/bit-chaotic-christening-new-coronavirus-and-its-disease-name-create-confusion

But given the association with the 2002/03 outbreak, 'SARS-CoV-2' as a name may add to anxiety (a number of factors were considered by the WHO for adopting the other name, 'COVID-19').
I appreciate the link, I had not seen that article. I had a (slightly sad) chuckle when I read " “From a risk communications perspective, using the name SARS can have unintended consequences in terms of creating unnecessary fear for some populations..."

Creating unnecessary fear? Yeah, I think that ship has sailed.

konqerror

macrumors 68000
Dec 31, 2013
The shareholders must be horrified at the potential loss of profits, so I'm sure Apple is being pressured to reopen ASAP.

Greed has no boundaries.
How about a useful and needed service for customers who are trying to avoid illness? Being in Canada, you probably didn't consider that the demand for working at home has skyrocketed in China. If those people didn't have laptops and mobility devices before, they need them now. If their computer failed, they need service now. It makes logical sense that you'd go out once or twice to get technology to avoid having to sit in an office, and worse, commute on public transit, every single day.

Reactions: citysnaps

Airforcekid

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
You are confusing "incubation period", which is what the article says, with being contagious; they do not mean the same thing.

Given that people in an Apple Store are unlikely to be randomly sharing drinks with, sharing kisses with, nor suddenly magically appearing in a car beside complete strangers, it is not clear to me what point you are trying to make. Ease up on the hysteria.
Im just going by what my COs have told me that you can be infected during the incubation period but it is a lot less likely. Im in cyber command so I write a different type of virus for my day job lol. Also I was referencing the mistake it may be only to hold people for 14 days when they could fall ill a week later thinking it is a normal sickness once they have been cleared. The CDC does seem on top of it I am occasionally in somewhat close contact with these people doing voluntold assignments and don't feel worried.

Last edited:

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
There are a lot of uninformed people posting on the subject of SARS-CoV-2 (the name of the virus) and COVID-19 (the name of the disease it causes). It is unfortunate that it has become commonplace and acceptable to make broad, uninformed statements that can actually cause more harm than good (sharpie, anyone?). It comes from the top.

So, there is little evidence that SARS-CoV-2 can be spread by a person without symptoms which, with half a seconds thought, makes sense. If you don't have a cough, a runny nose, or any other symptom what exactly do you think is the mechanism for spreading the disease? Sure, kissing could spread it but, unfortunately, I seldom get kissed when going in the Apple store. Your experience may vary. Just in case, don't lick the iPhones on display because if the last person to lick the phone had the virus you could be in trouble. If you handle any devices use an alcohol based hand sanitizer and stop touching your face (good luck with that one).
Friedrich Hayek warned us about the “pretense of knowledge” 45 years ago.

This piece by Nassim Taleb and others explains why naïve empiricism is our biggest enemy when confronted by systemic threats. So put your abacus away, it won’t help anymore.

HiVolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
How about a useful and needed service for customers who are trying to avoid illness? Being in Canada, you probably didn't consider that the demand for working at home has skyrocketed in China. If those people didn't have laptops and mobility devices before, they need them now. If their computer failed, they need service now. It makes logical sense that you'd go out once or twice to get technology to avoid having to sit in an office, and worse, commute on public transit, every single day.
Maybe online ordering was still available?

Reactions: GrumpyMom

konqerror

macrumors 68000
Dec 31, 2013
Maybe online ordering was still available?
We don't have drones delivering packages yet; that just exposes different workers to risk. Logically, logistics and delivery infrastructure has been disrupted as well on top of the fact that it takes several days normally to ship goods.

Besides, mail order of high-value electronics, like Apple products, is traditionally rare in Southeast Asia. People are used to going to stores and inspecting the goods at the time of purchase, to avoid the real or perceived risk of fraud.

sakurarain

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
"an apple a day, keeps the doctor away"; it means today: buy an Apple product everyday, then you will not be inflected by the virus.