Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I am currently trying one or two HomePods as speakers for the Mac Studio. Two issues:

(1) the lag. I can live with this. YouTube videos, for example, take a couple of seconds to start after you hit the "play" button. It's fine. No big deal. The system Alert Sounds continue to play out of the Mac Studio speakers, so you do not experience the delay for these (which is good).

(2) the Mac Studio keeps changing the selected output device from the HomePods back to "Mac Studio Speakers," so I have to manually go re-select the HomePods several times a day. I could maybe live with this, but what I won't live with is that sometimes when I select the HomePods, the HomePod icon in the "Sound" list just sits and spins for several minutes and then the HomePods are not selected, and the Mac Studio goes back to "Mac Studio Speakers." I've tried everything I can think of, resetting the HomePods, reinstalling the HomePods, using only 1 HomePod instead of 2, using a different HomePod, etc etc and the problem remains. It is not a WiFi issue.

So, I probably have to give up on using the HomePods as my speakers and look for an alternate solution, including using ACD's instead of my current 2 Dell monitors (which is why I am in this thread reading up on ACD sound quality). I used to have a big audio setup on my desk that took up lots of space; looking for a tiny footprint but still adequate sound at this point.
I've had to give up several times on these for similar reasons. Just not reliable enough overall.

scch

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
My display has been repaired three times; I can tell the cable won’t survive another time😆😆
IMG_0473.jpeg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: henry72 and BSoares

alfmoonspace

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Maybe the handling via shipping pulled on it? I don't know. You would have to be super rough with it to make it look like that..

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
The individual who posted the photo showing damage to the power cable hasn't returned here to address the various questions that others have raised. It also is not clear what the multiple issues have been with the monitor that led to the three repairs, which may or may not be related.

To begin with, since this monitor came out and there have been articles written about the power cable, it seems clear to me that it is not intended for removal unless it's done by a repair shop or someone with the proper tool. A user who doesn't realize that may think that the cable can be removed relatively easily, as is the case for most computers and equipment, and cause damage without really intending to do so. I always try to take the approach - if something seems too difficult, then back off and make sure you're doing it correctly.

My expectation is that if Apple has repaired the monitor multiple times, and if the cable damage is solely caused by those service visits to Apple, then the cable would have been replaced during the most recent service. I do not think that Apple would return the monitor to a customer with visible and significant damage to the cable. If the cable is not durable enough to handle three removals for those repairs, then it should have been replaced under warranty.

On the other hand, if there have been other attempts to remove the cable, not by Apple or an authorized repair shop but by the owner or someone else, then that is a different matter. Whoever caused the damage will certainly be aware of it at the time - and needs to take responsibility for it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The individual who posted the photo showing damage to the power cable hasn't returned here to address the various questions that others have raised.
I'm curious why they've had to have the ASD repaired three times. Honestly that sounds like a lemon and Apple should have replaced the whole thing by the third time, unless something they're doing is causing damage

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I have a few questions about the ASD:
  1. Is it possible to connect the Studio Display to a switchable power strip to completely turn it off when not in use (in regards to it being its own iOS-powered computing device)?
  2. How long does the Studio Display take to boot after a such a "Cold Boot", until it's ready to display content?
Interestingly, I've done just that. I don't want to leave the ASD powered when I'm going to be gone for a while, as it consumes about 10 watts with nothing plugged into it because it keeps the entire downstream USB device tree powered. That's just wasteful; I don't understand why Apple doesn't have it deep sleep and cut power to the downstream USB ports when it's not plugged into a Mac.

That said, I haven't noticed any downside to switching it off. I get home, put the laptop on the stand, plug in the cable and flip the switch. The display comes up in under ten seconds.

EDIT: I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Grounded-Outlet-Switch/dp/B07QKPBZX1

Reactions: PaulD-UK

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Interestingly, I've done just that. I don't want to leave the ASD powered when I'm going to be gone for a while, as it consumes about 10 watts with nothing plugged into it because it keeps the entire downstream USB device tree powered. That's just wasteful; I don't understand why Apple doesn't have it deep sleep and cut power to the downstream USB ports when it's not plugged into a Mac.

I'd be pretty upset if my keyboard, mouse and AirPods stopped charging just because the Mac was turned off.

My ASD consumes 0W when the display is off and nothing is plugged in for charging.

That said, I haven't noticed any downside to switching it off. I get home, put the laptop on the stand, plug in the cable and flip the switch.

You could also put a switch on the offending USB devices:

I am not endorsing that particular product, but there are many options like it. If you don't trust it you can do it yourself. :)

Last edited:

scch

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
I'm curious why they've had to have the ASD repaired three times. Honestly that sounds like a lemon and Apple should have replaced the whole thing by the third time, unless something they're doing is causing damage
Actually, I've requested panel replacement twice for the ASD. The first time, I took it to the Apple Store and the second time I utilized Apple's onsite service. After the first repair, it was returned to me with a nonfunctional camera (I can see a little crack on the cable already at that time), I have send back again for the camera so i know that they must have opened up the display at least three times.

p.s. my display is the VESA model, which doesn't come with a stand. EVERY technician or Apple Store genius I’ve encountered has initially tried to unplug the cable by hand and I have to explain that it’s not designed to be pluggable😆

MircoT

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Venice, Italy.
I've 2 ASD on MacStudioM2Max. Is possible to have audio output on both display?
For example: application1 on ASD1 use speakers of ASD1 and application2 on ASD2 use speakers of ASD2.
It seems like a legitimate request to me, but I haven't found a way to do it.
Thank You. :)

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
I've 2 ASD on MacStudioM2Max. Is possible to have audio output on both display?
For example: application1 on ASD1 use speakers of ASD1 and application2 on ASD2 use speakers of ASD2.
It seems like a legitimate request to me, but I haven't found a way to do it.
Thank You. :)

Perhaps with the Rogue Amoeba app SoundSource or Loopback to route the audio? I don't have two ASDs to try...

Reactions: MircoT

MircoT

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Venice, Italy.
Perhaps with the Rogue Amoeba app SoundSource or Loopback to route the audio? I don't have two ASDs to try...

Thank you.
I'll try to use it, even though I would have preferred it to be a native MacOS function.
It seemed natural to me that if I open an app on ADS2 its audio would come out of ASD2, but maybe Apple didn't think of that. Maybe I can give the idea to Apple, after patenting it.. 😂

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Every day, I am still blown away at how GOOD the speakers are in this display....just imagine, if Apple can get this kind of audio reproduction out of a monitor and they decided to make a TV, how impressive would the audio be in that device? The OEM TV makers would be flabbergasted....

shfawaz

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Detroit, MI
I have my M2 15" MBA connected to my Studio display. I am aware that the M2 MBA does not natively support multiple monitors. I know of the Displaylink workouround option, but it seems that most docks or adapters that allow multiple monitors are either dual HDMI, dual displayport, or one of each. Is there any way, or better yet, has anyone been successful in connecting a second display via HDMI to work in tandem with the Studio display using the Displaylink workaround?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have my M2 15" MBA connected to my Studio display. I am aware that the M2 MBA does not natively support multiple monitors. I know of the Displaylink workouround option, but it seems that most docks or adapters that allow multiple monitors are either dual HDMI, dual displayport, or one of each. Is there any way, or better yet, has anyone been successful in connecting a second display via HDMI to work in tandem with the Studio display using the Displaylink workaround?
You can connect a second display up to 4K I think with DisplayLink, but definitely not another Studio Display.

Reactions: shfawaz

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
Actually, I've requested panel replacement twice for the ASD. The first time, I took it to the Apple Store and the second time I utilized Apple's onsite service. After the first repair, it was returned to me with a nonfunctional camera (I can see a little crack on the cable already at that time), I have send back again for the camera so i know that they must have opened up the display at least three times.

Good grief! Did you buy it new or refurbished?

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Every day, I am still blown away at how GOOD the speakers are in this display....just imagine, if Apple can get this kind of audio reproduction out of a monitor and they decided to make a TV, how impressive would the audio be in that device? The OEM TV makers would be flabbergasted....
They're decent but the speakers on my 2017 27" iMac are noticeably better.

Reactions: Student of Life

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I just played it on my ASD and it sounds good. I do hear what could be drums possibly be played with brushes instead of drum sticks. I don't think it's static.
Crowe-t can you do one more favor and play that same song… but instead open the EQUALIZER settings of iTunes (music) and set it to SPOKEN WORD and see if that makes it no longer sound "good" but sound static-y?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.