Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Meanwhile, many developers are fine with 15%/30% cut and most customers are fine with a single App Store to find all of their apps.

As usual, gov trying to control someone else's success for no reason. Huge overstep.
Meanwhile billions of users are fine with Apple being sued by governments all over the world for anti-competitive practices and fine with having multiple stores on iOS.

As usual, Apple defends rent seeking and touting it as their legitimate right. /s

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Yes really. Had iOS/iPadOS used third party app stores, apps wouldn't have followed guidelines. guidelines that translated well to other platforms like tvOS/visionOS (ex: minimum 44pt x 44pt button sizes that ended up being comfortable enough for visionOS customers to tap using their eyes and hands)
If forcing apps to follow good UX and privacy guidelines was the primary way Apple used it's power you might have a point, given that Apple mostly seems to use its power to extract maximum monetization out of its platform I don't really think your point has as much merit.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Got something to back up this claim?
Mobile developer here with apps and games on iOS and Android. For our Android side we use a service that distributes our apps out to all the different third party app stores between the Samsung store and a bunch of similar regional / brand specific stores. We make roughly 99% of our revenue from Google Play.

I am totally fine with Apple and Google's 15% / 30% cut because that's where the customers are. Sure, some of these other Android stores offer better rates, but, uhh, who cares about saving 5% on $17 worth of sales? It's irrelevant comparatively.

It's made no sense to me why Apple has been fighting this hard, as iOS with third party App Stores will be the same. There will be no noticeable migration of users to other platforms and any money lost would be a rounding error.
So your answer to my question is "No"

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Yes really. Had iOS/iPadOS used third party app stores, apps wouldn't have followed guidelines. guidelines that translated well to other platforms like tvOS/visionOS (ex: minimum 44pt x 44pt button sizes that ended up being comfortable enough for visionOS customers to tap using their eyes and hands)
And those apps would not be popular and die. Apple can still have all the guidelines they want. How many apps break the guidelines for OS X?

Apple can still have their own App Store. I don't think the Government can force Apple to ship iPhones with pre-installed 3rd party App Store fronts. If that is what they end up trying to do, then the people need to rally and tell Congress how wrong they are.

Allowing other app stores is not going to suddenly break how any of Apple's products work together.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
The way Apple keeps tight control over its entire company and software ecosystem is eventually going to hit a wall when it enters the real world. As a small player it can operate that way, but once it crosses companies who have senators and congressmen at their beck and call, it's going to realize they play by a different set of rules. In a perfect world most companies wouldn't be getting away with half of what they do. The rise of Apple is one of the reasons prices have gone artificially up in consumer devices and not down as was they way before they started dominating that market. But in the world we live in now, nothing will come out of this except a few law firms will make more money.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I am not sure how the App Store is hurting the consumer, and that is what you focus on when it comes to antitrust litigation. I'd argue being forced to download multiple App Stores will make the consumer experience worse.

These lawsuits and rules (DMA in the EU) are never related to the consumers! Even if MR keeps talking about themselves. It is about one big business hindering smaller businesses from having even the potential of being successful simply for the nature of the big player being "too big".

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
If forcing apps to follow good UX and privacy guidelines was the primary way Apple used it's power you might have a point, given that Apple mostly seems to use its power to extract maximum monetization out of its platform I don't really think your point has as much merit.
defining that push notifications should not be used to tell users to do specific tasks in the app would be the opposite of maximum monetization.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I wonder what the end result would look like? Should Apple license iOS to other OEMs similar to windows and android? Or other app stores like now happening in eu?

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know why people are so up in arms about this. Apple's laptop can download anything they want. No issue. But on a phone which is just like a pc, why not?
Because a mobile phone poses a much high risk than a PC. It is easier to steal, and a phone has access to very personal information (banking, socials, email, location,…). People use phones much much more than a computer, and it is (in a lot of cases) always with you. That on it’s own makes it a high target value for hackers.

Also: phones are used in the billions, computers in the millions.

Really, the two hardly compare as platform.

That said, it is good that governments around the world get to grips with these mogul companies (Apple, Google, Meta, et etc) and set clear rules and laws as to what they can do.

Do I agree with the lawsuit? I can’t say. There is something to be said for it and against it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.