Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
All Apple needs to do is allow iOS devices to be computers. Like the Mac, let me install software I want, even if Apple doesn’t like the content.
That is at the core of what EU forces on Apple, but this DOJ case goes further.
It seeks to deny Apple to take advantage of developing multiple devices (HW and SW), then making them interoperate better than the mix-and-match competition. I think this is ridiculous.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
I don't (like you) expect many to jump and use 3rd party stores on iOS. The issue Apple has (most likely) is the work required to make this happen. As safely and non destructively as possible.
They've already done this with Mac OS. I'm kind of at a loss as to why so many think a security model that works perfectly fine on the Mac wouldn't also be great on mobile. These operating systems are already thoroughly sandboxed and secure on a very fundamental level. iOS and Mac OS aren't Windows 95.

bunty

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Is there a parallel here with Microsoft and Xbox? American company that has (I don't have an Xbox so I'm guessing) just one store to purchase Xbox games from? Can you load an Xbox game from a website? Sideload? Where are the alternate Xbox games stores? I mean, if Apple or whomever is in the wrong as they claim, when will they go after Micorosft's Xbox game "walled garden" and monopoly on Xbox games. An imperfect analogy, to be sure, but there are similarities.

Reactions: macconservative

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
I love having my tax dollars wasted on nonsense. At the same time, it will be fun to watch this blow up in the DOJ's face. Why spend money on things like better healthcare, feeding the homeless and better education ...
They worked on it for five years and have seen how the previous cases against Apple have played out, so, I am assuming they would have done their homework. I doubt Apple will escape unscathed this time. Especially, since it will be buckling down to the EU in the DMA implementation, I doubt judges will be lenient with them.

Several other countries are proceeding along the same lines, it seems.

Interesting days ahead (not for Apple, though) /s.

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
I strongly support anti-trust activity, but this one is bogus.

Apple making their devices work well with each other, collecting fees for apps, etc., sold through their own platform, et al. are simply examples of a company developing an ecosystem that works well 🤷‍♂️

If anything, that makes them MORE competitive - other companies need to keep up, rather than Apple needing to slow down.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
If Steve Jobs was alive today, he would’ve used every single amount of his personal money to defend Apple and his name.

DOJ is doing the wrong thing. Suing Apple will destroy the US tech industry in the long run.

If Apple loses, Apple will likely shut down in retaliation. See how that will destroy US tech industry.
Is this satire? Otherwise it’s the best joke I’ve ever read. Macrumors really becomes an echo chamber.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Big twenty four hours for Team Biden. First, doing much more with its regulatory authority to shove EVs down our throats on Wednesday. Then taking on arguably America’s biggest and most successful company today. Good to see their priorities are in the right place.
Yeah not to derail, but I am pissed about that also. Let's burn a **** ton more coal so we can charge EVs. Not to mention more than likely strain or kill the power grids that are not ready for the task.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Based on what I read, the lawsuit is about Apple restrictions related to:

-iMessage on other devices

-NFC/Wallet access to third party

-Game Streaming (which Apple just allowed)

-Other watches integrated with iPhone

These are very weak issues and will be difficult to prove anti-trust.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Well we'll see where this goes. They were hit with an antitrust lawsuit with the iPod and they won that. They're probably guilty of anticompetitive behavior with the iPhone, but I'm not sure if it rises to the level of monopoly.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Sure, but you were the one that brought up notifications, not me, those aren't human interface guidelines rather App Store policies.
Yes I brought up third party apps notification guidelines that are literally in the human interface guidelines

"Avoid sending a notification that tells people to perform specific tasks within your app."

💀

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
Is there a legal difference between defend and vigorously defend? Why do people always add vigorously? I assume no one wants to casually defend themselves? Or do they think this adds a note of indignation? If so, why always vigorously instead of some other word?
I think it would be more of a flex if Apple said "we intent to nonchalantly defend this DOJ action" ;)

From a legal standpoint that phase doesn't carry any legal meaning... though maybe it indicates that top corporate anti-trust lawyers can at least this year and for a few years raise their rates sky high and start looking at new yachts and Gulfstreams.

Reactions: antiprotest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.