Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
"Despite one claim that Apple's patch for Spectre resulted in a significant performance decrease on one developer's iPhone 6s.."
Can't believe you guys quoted this idiot. He upgraded from 11.1.2 to 12.2.2 on an old iPhone 6 (not "s"!!) so obviously got hit by the CPU Throttling 'feature' introduced in 12.2.
My problem here is that we don’t know how much time was between the installing of the new OS and his benchmark. Ever felt that your phone is quite hot after an update and stays like this for 2-3 hours? It’s changing things under the hood or indexing something.

Reactions: techfreak23

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
"Despite one claim that Apple's patch for Spectre resulted in a significant performance decrease on one developer's iPhone 6s.."
Can't believe you guys quoted this idiot. He upgraded from 11.1.2 to 12.2.2 on an old iPhone 6 (not "s"!!) so obviously got hit by the CPU Throttling 'feature' introduced in 12.2.
Close but not quite correct. iOS 10.2.1 had the throttling feature for the iP6 not 12.2.2 (which doesn't exist yet) :) or 11.2.2 or 11.2. But yeah ONE developers iPhone 6. lol

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Apple is a part of the ARM consortium right? Lawyers want to hit Apple with a suit because other consortium members have a duty to protect their end users from malware or exploits?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Waiting for people to discover that using something consistently causes it to deteriorate.
[doublepost=1516043408][/doublepost]
Because Apple sold something knowing it was faulty. Apple allegedly was aware of the hardware defect in the processors and sold products using it anyway.
On what day did Apple become aware of this issue?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Apple deserves to get hit with lawsuits on the iPhone battery throttling fiasco due to their lack of transparency. In the case of Meltdown and Spectre the initial lack of transparency was exactly the right thing to do. Publicly disclosing the details of a major security vulnerability before the coders from the affecting companies have a chance to patch the vulnerability is not the right thing to do. This new class action law suit is completely baseless and should be thrown out.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
So how is any of this Apple's fault?

Apple knew about this flaw for months. Did not inform the general public and sold new hardware with this defect despite knowing months prior. Sounds similar to the equifax fiasco where they knew about a breach for months but didn't inform the public until several months later. By then, the damage was done.

Apple knowingly sold chips Apple designed with the spectre/meltdown flaw. Instead of correcting the issue that was known, Apple went ahead and released new products with the flawed chips and depended on software to correct the issue. Makes sense considering redesigning and re-manufacturing the chips will lead to massive delays and loss of $$$. But Apples secretive nature might come back to bite it in the ass one day.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Or design a phone that neither crashes nor slows down over specified service life of the battery and tell people when it is time to change the battery.
Also get on creating tires that don't wear out over time.
Oil that never needs to be replaced.
Self cleaning air filters.
Joints that don't wear out due to use.
Shoes that never get dirty.
That, of course, is the issue. When did Apple know?
When someone says the words, this company knew and then continued to do this thing after they knew.
When did they know?

Don't even care that it is Apple, replace that name with someone that you perceive to have ever done anything wrong and you may say that they knew better.
When was it that they knew better and then continued.
Not even taking up for them, it was merely a question of the facts that someone knew about it. Oh really? When did they know?

You're also going with. I would have never known myself that they knew until they themselves told me that they knew.
So had they jsut kept the secret a secret, I would never have a reason to be butthurt because I wouldn't know what I wasn't told.
But since I was told.... F that, I'm mad now. Grrrrrr. So mad. I need to know everything... even though when I didn't know I wasn't mad and now that I do know I am mad. I just want to be mad. Grrr again.

Last edited:

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
So what were these idiots going to do about it? Release a fix faster? A magic one that doesn't have to be solved by software? I think the disclosures were done fairly responsibly, and well the fix options for deployed chips are limited.

Reactions: swamprock

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Ok, there are two separate issues here (really this should have been two articles):
  1. The vulnerabilities in the hardware.
  2. Battery issues
For the first part, if Apple disclosed details about the vulnerability before some patches were ready, it is entirely possible that hackers could have used that information to cause even more damage and Apple would have been sued for that.

For the second part, Apple really is indeed in the wrong, if they had simply displayed a clear message letting the user know what was happening, why and how to fix it (getting a battery replacement), it wouldn't have been an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.