Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
We need high paying manufacturing jobs back.

The only high paying manufacturing jobs that will ever exist anymore are high skill jobs, too. We don't have enough people that want to learn and work both brains and muscles.

So does that solve the issue of the underpaid and overworked condition?

Are you willing to pay twice as much for an iPhone? Because more pay and less work won't come out of profits, that's for sure.

Reactions: iGüey

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
The only high paying manufacturing jobs that will ever exist anymore are high skill jobs, too. We don't have enough people that want to learn and work both brains and muscles.

Are you willing to pay twice as much for an iPhone? Because more pay and less work won't come out of profits, that's for sure.
I would gladly pay more to have jobs in the us

Reactions: amartinez1660

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
This could have been done in Guatemala or Honduras. Could have brought some jobs, peace and stability for that region.
I come from South America, companies leave because their workers get mugged, kidnapped and/or themselves (or family member) ends up death one day. Governments sometimes also just start tightening and appropriating grounds little by little out the blue.

When I left, over ten years ago, the metric was about 60 homicides per weekend on the capital city. Never looked back... it was just horrendous. I guess it’s worse now.

All of this to say, it’s the other way around, if the government or system can guarantee peace and stability for said company and its workers then yes. Myself, if somehow I end up having a multi billion dollar worth company I WOULD NOT risk setting up business there in those conditions: I would not put myself, my family, employees and their families to such dangers.

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
Went to Vietnam a few years ago and was a life-changing trip. Great people that deserve the business and much more America-friendly than China.

Reactions: svanstrom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.