Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This could have been done in Guatemala or Honduras. Could have brought some jobs, peace and stability for that region.
As a Honduran, agreed 100%. Want less caravans to the US? Send some of those jobs here to prevent mass migration due to horrible US policies. We have the same capabilities (and better) than Vietnam or China. Not making it up, I can easily go into detail, but I can leave that for another thread.

Reactions: mtneer

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I’m not sure how an electronics factory would bring peace and stability to a region. Maybe I’m ignorant.

There’s clearly a reason why Apple and other corporations utilize Asian countries for manufacturing.
Brings jobs, which means less people idling and feeling pressure to provide when there are no job opportunities. Hence, people will migrate less and less pressure on private sector to desperately needed provide jobs.

Reactions: Mr.PT and DeepIn2U

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
You need peace and stability to get people to invest in creating jobs. No one wants to build a plant that might be a target.
We have that. People aren't running away from prosecution or targeted corporate violence. They are running away from rampant unemployment and no opportunity to obtain a descent job. People in those caravans on average have 4+ months without jobs.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Many companies are moving to VietNam. Hopefully, reliable workers will have reliable, positive conditions.

Obviously, the factory in India will be producing products, once they arrive at better conditions for workers. India and Brazil are two countries that make imports much more expensive. However, getting Chinese components across the border can be difficult since hostilities continue. VietNam have fewer restrictions.

It's unfortunate that the factory in Wisconsin never got started, but what would they have made that consumers could afford from Apple?

Doctor Brian

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2016
Toronto
Wasn't Trump touting some Foxconn plant to be built in the midwest somewhere? Whatever happened to that?
I wouldn't blame Mr. Trump. Apparently, now that he is not an inconvenient impediment and Apple has managed to work with its allied companies to shut down more pro-American voices, they feel at liberty to continue to drain America of capital in an unbridled fashion.

• Haha
Reactions: iGüey

eMacKilla

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2020
Yeah, remember when tech companies not only designed something in America, but actually built it here? :(
There's not enough people to build apple products in America. There are only 17 cities in the USA that has a max population that could equal or better the number of employees at the Foxxcon plant where iPhones are made. There are over 800,000 employees in that factory that make iPhones. Let that sink into your head. There's no way, iPhones or any apple products could be made in the USA. There's simply not enough workers to do it unless every single person in Indianapolis is going to quick their existing jobs to build iPhones.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
There's not enough people to build apple products in America. There are only 17 cities in the USA that has a max population that could equal or better the number of employees at the Foxxcon plant where iPhones are made. There are over 800,000 employees in that factory that make iPhones. Let that sink into your head. There's no way, iPhones or any apple products could be made in the USA. There's simply not enough workers to do it unless every single person in Indianapolis is going to quick their existing jobs to build iPhones.

Current number of unemployed Americans, 12.6 Million.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Vietnam is fine,Samsung also assembles most of their phones there and quality been consistent.much better assemly location than India

Reactions: madrigal77

iGüey

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2020
Mexico City
As a Honduran, agreed 100%. Want less caravans to the US? Send some of those jobs here to prevent mass migration due to horrible US policies. We have the same capabilities (and better) than Vietnam or China. Not making it up, I can easily go into detail, but I can leave that for another thread.
So US, foreign policies and Apple are the ones to blame for high unemployment rates in Honduras and not your useless government?

As Mexican I can tell you that Mexico is not heaven and we are also dealing with bad jobs conditions and unemployment, but c’mon! Let’s be serious and not blame externals when we know that our politicians are the first responsibles of the mess, and for better or worse, us as citizens are the responsibles for the governors we elect and we have. By the way, I don’t support Mexico’s current government nor president, so I’m looking forward to reduce him political influence in the next elections.

That being said, US, UN and some first world countries could do much more to combat inequality than they are doing, I admit, but we shouldn't even hint that they are the ones to blame, because that would not be fair.

Peace!

Last edited:

iGüey

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2020
Mexico City

Really???

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Foxconn a Taiwan Company. Actually a Chinese Company. Who said they will build Apple something in the USA. Moving out of China to another offshore country not the same as bringing Jobs back to the USA. Tesla building worldwide cars in China. Helps our jobs how? US companies and consumers need to think differently. Or just wave the white flag and go all in for global economy. Who cares where products are made, end of day.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
eMacKilla said:

Really???
Really???

Yes, really. For starters, where do you expect do find 800,000 people with the skills to assemble electronics within a 50 miles radius of a factory? That's almost the entire population of Austin, TX. Tesla employs 10,000 in Fremont, which is in one of the largest population centers in the US, and still can't fill every job.

Even if you could somehow find a few hundred thousand people to show up to work at this hypothetical factory, what are you going to pay them? The average US factory worker (non-union) earns around $20 an hour. In China, Foxconn workers earn around $4 an hour. That's 500% more for labor alone.

How will you build this factory? The Foxconn iPhone factory is 15 million square feet, roughly triple the size of the Boeing factory, the largest in the US. You would need around 1,500 acres situated near this mythical urban area with 800,000 people who can show up to work every day. Then there are the construction costs, which would be 10 times higher than in China, India, or Vietnam.

You really have no clue what it takes to build and run a factory at this scale.

Reactions: SuperCachetes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.