Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Disagree ^^^

Lack of IT imagination (from your company's IT):
Given today's maturity of desktop OS virtualization (sorted in decresing preference order: Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Virtual Box), a virtualized MBPr/MBA hardware has no limitations on software.

Where is the niche?
I would guess the IT staff could argue why buy a more expensive piece of hardware to run additional software that runs natively on alternative (and less expensive) hardware. Don't get me wrong, I rather run Macs, but there has to be a better justification. Generally speaking, Macs have a higher cost up-front, but last longer and require far less IT support.

Reactions: rjohnstone

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
My rMBP is my favorite Apple product by far. If the specs were better on their MB I'd be all over one of those!

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Gosh. Imagine what they could do with up to date hardware and touchscreens! And if they really pushed running Windows on them. I might even come back over! Instead of looking at Dell machines with newer hardware and touchscreen at 1/3 the price.

Reactions: dampfnudel

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Now imagine if Apple actually revised their laptop lines a bit more often than every four (4!) years.

MacBooks are unquestionably the best all round laptop money can buy, but Apple should be able to do so much more. Bringing out a redesign seems to be such a big feat for Apple, while HP, Dell and Lenovo release improved designs ever (second?) year. Considering their resources, Apple should have been first to implement Skylake, new designs, Infinity-displays, 18-hour battery life, 4K, et.c. Touch-ID should have been implemented in the laptops a long, long time ago.

Seriously, my rMBP is great, but seeing what Dell did with the XPS 13" design (I'm not mentioning quality, haha), Apple should have been able to bring something better to the table than the 12" rMB.

Don't see why this has to wait til' WWDC, just finish the Skylake MacBooks and release them already. Sure an event would be more fun, but we've waited long enough.

I agree completely. I'm running a late 2013 rMBP and I am really wanting to upgrade to a newer machine but the small, incremental improvements over the past 2.5 years have not been enough for me to justify the cost of upgrading. I would be happy to upgrade every 18-24 months if there were big enough improvements to justify the expense.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Now imagine if Apple actually revised their laptop lines a bit more often than every four (4!) years.

MacBooks are unquestionably the best all round laptop money can buy, but Apple should be able to do so much more. Bringing out a redesign seems to be such a big feat for Apple, while HP, Dell and Lenovo release improved designs ever (second?) year. Considering their resources, Apple should have been first to implement Skylake, new designs, Infinity-displays, 18-hour battery life, 4K, et.c. Touch-ID should have been implemented in the laptops a long, long time ago.

Seriously, my rMBP is great, but seeing what Dell did with the XPS 13" design (I'm not mentioning quality, haha), Apple should have been able to bring something better to the table than the 12" rMB.

Don't see why this has to wait til' WWDC, just finish the Skylake MacBooks and release them already. Sure an event would be more fun, but we've waited long enough.

You seem to categorically equate 'new' with 'better'. What exactly is the problem with the current designs? I'm guessing you don't actually have an answer, other than you're bored with them. Now on the other hand, I do agree the Skylake updates are overdue, as well as battery life jumps. And also, I'll throw in there, if they do redesign the laptops, PLEASE god let them have user upgradeable hard drives and ram! (Had to bang that drum one more time)

Last edited:

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Boy, what's happened to Toshiba? It's been many, many years since I've had a PC notebook of any flavor, but I always felt Toshiba products were pretty decent if you had to go that way.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I'm speculating. I'm entitled to, as I didn't claim "So many macs" have Windows installed.

Running Windows on a Mac is like filling a mansion with farm animals
You are entitled to jump off a cliff, I suggest go for everything you are entitled to. You are also claiming a percentage as that person did not.

Sorry to tell you this but windows 10 runs a lot better than osx on a mac. It's faster on the old 5400 rpm spinner than osx is on a new ssd, osx is unbearable on a spinner. There are threads on the difference. I am boot camping by the way.

I guess then anyone can say 62% of macs are boot camping windows. You see, everyone can do it as they are entitled to.

The way osx runs the last few years is like putting a crap hole like austin in the middle of texas.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The way osx runs the last few years is like putting a crap hole like austin in the middle of texas.

Comparing OS X to Austin is an extremely apt comparison. Like OS X, people want to be in Austin, Austin is forward thinking, productive, desirable, fun, and growing.

You're making my argument for me.

Reactions: MacHiavelli

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Comparing OS X to Austin is an extremely apt comparison. Like OS X, people want to be in Austin, Austin is forward thinking, productive, desirable, fun, and growing.

You're making my argument for me.

Coming from someone that compared an os to a mansion and farm animals that is hilarious and also deflecting. Not to mention a VERY apt comparison.

I visit the us and texas regularly and everyone I have known despises austin so stop with that. 27 million live in texas and 885 thousand live in austin. Sure, everyone wants to live there. LMAO

Last edited:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
You are hilarious and also deflecting. I visit the us and texas regularly and everyone I have known despises austin so stop with that. 27 million live in texas and 885 thousand live in austin. Sure, everyone wants to live there. LMAO
Ugh, I live in the US for 15 years now and everyone I know likes Austin. Weird. Who do you know? BTW you're right OSX is very slow on old HDDs.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
This is precisely why the MacBook Air should stick around for a little while. iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch all have three options. iPhone will have three next month. Consumers like options.

The typical Macrumors consumer doesn't like options, they like whatever Apple offers. Even if they don't.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Ugh, I live in the US for 15 years now and everyone I know likes Austin. Weird. Who do you know? BTW you're right OSX is very slow on old HDDs.

I know a lot of people and they all avoid austin. Austin and Houston.

Osx is unbearable on the same hdd's apple still ships with some of their products so they are not really old. It took 26 icon bounces to open imovie on my original hard drive, everything is about a couple of bounces on the ssd. Also the spinning beach ball made it hard to do anything. On the same drive (the spinner) everything in windows 10 opens just as quick, and runs as fast as el crapitan on the ssd.

I had a lot of force closes of processes, spinning beach balls, random reboots. You shouldn't have to change a disk drive that apple is still shipping to get a system you can actually run. If I did not have so many apple apps I would consider moving to 10 full time, I will see in a couple of years what direction apple has gone.

There is nothing second rate about 10, in fact apple needs to wake up and stop using us as beta testers.
[doublepost=1455656875][/doublepost]
The typical Macrumors consumer doesn't like options, they like whatever Apple offers. Even if they don't.

Exactly. Options are good. I think it's funny the same people applauding apple's market share wishing for some good updates. Increased market share = less reason to give anything at all. Hilarious.

I could care less what any of them have in market share, unless it causes a monopoly, as none of them pay my bills.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
This.

I recently switched from a crappy, plastic Windows notebook to the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. And it is such an amazing machine. Really can't believe why I haven't done this earlier (apart from not having enough money of course). Build quality is incredible, the Retina Display is gorgeous, battery life is great and OS X works great when you've got other iOS devices. Yes, it's an expensive notebook, but you get what you pay for.

I can definitely see Apple having a comfortable 2016 as well in terms of notebook sales, and Mac sales in general. :)

Unless your crappy plastic windows notebook was 1,300 dollars - not really a logical comparison. You just said it - you get what you pay for.

Reactions: AppleScruff1

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Boy, what's happened to Toshiba? It's been many, many years since I've had a PC notebook of any flavor, but I always felt Toshiba products were pretty decent if you had to go that way.

Toshiba's are popular here in mexico with college age kids. Then again windows is in control, only 6% here have apple products and if I see one in the wild it's rare. In fact the ones I have seen have all been older phones, 4". They were still selling iphone 4 here not long ago, not sure if they still are.
[doublepost=1455657363][/doublepost]
Unless your crappy plastic windows notebook was 1,300 dollars - not really a logical comparison. You just said it - you get what you pay for.

Bingo.

Reactions: AppleScruff1

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Right there in your post. You think IT is going to fork out twice the resources to manage two platforms per user? You think any sizeable company with structured IT will allow you to run a unmanaged windows in a VM if mac is their platform?

This is pretty much it. I have a windows laptop for work that is almost as expensive as a MBP but I need windows for some things. So IT wouldn't provide a Macbook and then have to pay extra to run windows on it.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Still rocking a top spec 2012 Retina 15" with no reason to update, good laptops

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.