Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
What planet are you on? The gs6 got nothing but amazing reviews from real world people holding the device.

Countless times they used the word premium and from what I saw most people were blown away from the gs6 design and build quality

so far outside of the individuals who have gotten their hands on the S6 at MWC, the overall response has been "meh".

that might change once people get their hands on it.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Says the guy who's majority of posts support Samsung. ;)

Just YouTube every hands on video of the gs6 and see what they say.this guy said the gist of the launch was not showing good signs in the build and design of the new phones and that's an absolute biased lie.

The phones are getting very well hands on reviews from people!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
That's absolutely crazy when you consider Samsung targets the full range of prices all the way down to dirt cheap while Apple focuses on the high end.

That's like BMW outselling not just Lexus but the whole Toyota division too! Almost unheard of in business.

Is it really though? Apple competes with no one for iOS. If you want iOS there's only one place to go. The best Qtrs are always after the phone releases. There was a lot of pinned up demand for the newly sized up iOS devices. Samsung's S5 was already many months old.

It was a hell of a quarter and a hell of a lot of phones moved. I think it was a great by Apple. To me, it was neither crazy, incredible, nor unexpected.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
In his defense, it was $600 even with a subsidy at the time. I wouldn't have an iPhone if it were still that price.

It was a better deal then, without the subsidy. You're paying for the subsidy with your bill, whether as part of the monthly charges, or the device installment plan fee, Edge, Next, etc.

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I want Gartner to come clean someday about the alleged 155 million "Others" that they spout off about. If Xiaomi is one of the biggest sellers in China, and sold only 18.5 million phones, where the heck are these 155 MILLION other alleged smartphones going, and who exactly is selling them??? That's just as many as Apple and Samsung combined!

I firmly believe that Gartner (and IDC and the others) are making up these numbers to satisfy what their customers want to see, and have absolutely no basis in reality, since they don't seem willing to come forth with where they got these numbers from. Take it all with a grain of salt, but unfortunately, the general public will take these numbers as gospel.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
In his defense, it was $600 even with a subsidy at the time. I wouldn't have an iPhone if it were still that price.

True the price was crazy. Apple certainly didn't know how to price the iPhone, but at the end of the day it sold like crazy and customers were highly satisfied. After all there were no other Smartphones like it.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
True the price was crazy. Apple certainly didn't know how to price the iPhone, but at the end of the day it sold like crazy and customers were highly satisfied. After all there were no other Smartphones like it.

only sold like crazy after Apple dropped the price $200 and issued partial refunds to anyone who purchased before.

at the initial launch price it was mostly dead in the water.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
What planet are you on? The gs6 got nothing but amazing reviews from real world people holding the device.

Countless times they used the word premium and from what I saw most people were blown away from the gs6 design and build quality

What a joke.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
A company that sells 1-2 different phone models is able to surpass a company that has a dozen phones in it's lineup. Sad. No wonder Samsung is trying to mimic Apple so hardcore.

All it took was for Apple to adopt larger displays. Many Android users made the switch to iPhone with the release of the 6/6+, according to many articles on the web. Now that the hardware is up to par, its all over. You simply cannot beat iOS. It's universal, intuitive and easy.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Those are worlwide statistics we're looking at here. The iPhone 5c is still very much a high-end phone by global standards. An actual mid-range phone would cost half of the 5c's price. The 5c is basically an entry-level BMW.

Goes to show how spoiled we are here in the Western world when some of us don't think of an 8 GB phone as being high end but the rest of the world does. I believe you are right. Good call.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
That's absolutely crazy when you consider Samsung targets the full range of prices all the way down to dirt cheap while Apple focuses on the high end.

That's like BMW outselling not just Lexus but the whole Toyota division too! Almost unheard of in business.

Exactly.
At least this is better than often seen "Android vs. iPhone" comparisons (which would be like BMW vs. nearly ALL car manufacturers).

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
While that seems to be an impressive showing, there's a bit of an irony in that some of the iPhone's important components are made by Samsung.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
While that seems to be an impressive showing, there's a bit of an irony in that some of the iPhone's important components are made by Samsung.

Irony in the sense of their parts selling better when they end up in the phones of the competition? ...Just joking... you can spin it any way you like ;)

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
only sold like crazy after Apple dropped the price $200 and issued partial refunds to anyone who purchased before.

at the initial launch price it was mostly dead in the water.

Basically correct. You know, I am somewhat surprised that Apple is still able to sell for so much more than competitors with good products. You can get most anything you want done nowadays on an Android that you would on an iPhone, sometimes more. Myself, I obviously love my Apple toys, but I find myself using 3rd party software far more than the native apps.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009

To bad he was also wrong about the iPad and totally rain Microsoft out of the areas of future PC growth. Apples corporate presence is in the 75%+ range on mobiles... that figure hurts Microsoft dearly.

Veridium

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I honestly don't see anything about Samsung right now that indicates they'll ever regain the dominant market share they once peaked at again. They scrapped the entire strategy that got them to that position originally, and have made moves in the high end that many of their core fans aren't fans of.

Their ability to compete in the high end has been damaged in many, if not most, of those customers who obtained one of their low end phones and had low end experiences with them that they now associate with Samsung's brand. And such phones made up the lion's share of their previous peak market share numbers too.

In the low to mid range they face fierce competition from competitors who have really upped their game with far more compelling offerings than they had the last few years.

The bright spot is, Samsung's new strategy may actually make their mobile division more profitable, which is the whole point of being in business in the first place. But I don't see them ever hitting the 30 percent mark again. My money says their market share numbers over the next couple of years will show steady decline, with maybe one or two quarters that have a small bump or hold steady.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I guess China played a big role in this. With strong new Chinese tech companies, Samsung is having a lot of trouble there I believe.

Add the success of iPhone 6+ and anyone could've predicted this.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Irony in the sense of their parts selling better when they end up in the phones of the competition? ...Just joking... you can spin it any way you like ;)

That's exactly what I thought. Apple is able to take Samsung parts and make a higher selling phone than Samsung.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Is it really though? Apple competes with no one for iOS. If you want iOS there's only one place to go. The best Qtrs are always after the phone releases. There was a lot of pinned up demand for the newly sized up iOS devices. Samsung's S5 was already many months old.

It was a hell of a quarter and a hell of a lot of phones moved. I think it was a great by Apple. To me, it was neither crazy, incredible, nor unexpected.

Nobody forced Samsung to use Android instead of innovating by giving the consumer choice with their own awesome operating system like iOS. And Apple could have just been lazy and used somebody else's operating system too. But they didn't. They created iOS.

Samsung has their own operating system too now of course, but it's not even as good as Android... let alone iOS. Too little, and way too late. So yeah. Two companies are competing. One is just doing a much better job than the other.

And one is on an upwards trajectory and the other (with a 75% drop in profits from losing the fight with Apple on the high end and cheap Chinese OEMs on the low end) is pretty much crashing down.

If you want iOS there's only one place to go.

If you want Tizen there's only one place to go too... except no one wants Tizen.

bearboy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Chi-town
It will be interesting. I don't think it'll be good for samsung, or even HTC.

if the tepid response after MWC for their latest devices is any indication, they didn't truly hit the perverbial target.

I'm currently an Android user who has been on a nexus 5 for a while. I bought this phone as a 'stopgap' till my contract was up and I could get a discounted phone.

The N5 is a fantastic device. but it's still a $350 device and not a flagship. Well, I'm financially better of now than last year and I want a flagship, top of the line, premium phone for a change. I waited till HTC and Samsung did their announcements and overall I'm disappointed. I don't think either company came close to the design and build of the current iPhone 6. the HTC didn't make any significant changes to their device at all. moved some buttons. change the colour. made the border all one piece, but the overall look and feel is identical. The Samsung did the most radical departure from their own history, but that's not a good thing necessarily. the phone looks ok, but I'm not convinced that removing the SD card or battery was the way to go. Plus, that camera bump on teh S6 looks hideous to me. I can't explain it. it's the ugliest camera bump i have ever seen. It looks like a wart

I'm likely going to go iPhone 6s unless someone in the android camp can get off their collective rear ends and actually give Apple some challenge to the 6.

Where are you getting "tepid" from? Most of the main tech sites have had pretty positive responses so far. We'll see what they say as the reviews start coming out, but so far tepid is not the word I would of chosen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.