Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Sweeps Consumer Reports' Laptop Recommendations

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

NYTimes reports that in the most recent issue of Consumer Reports, Apple's laptops rated highest across the 13", 14"-16" and 17" laptop categories.

Consumer Reports rates laptop computers on performance, ergonomics, versatility, display, speakers, battery life and weight and provides an aggregate score. Scores for Apple's MacBook, 15" MacBook Pro, and 17" MacBook Pro exceeded all others in each of their categories, earning high recommendations from the publication.

The cost of the machines reviewed, however, varied widely with computers ranging from $600 to $2800 being compared in the same categories. These results come shortly after Microsoft's most recent laptop hunters ad which features a film-maker looking for a laptop computer for video editing. Microsoft is pushing the price argument strongly in their recent ad campaign, while Apple has argued that "a PC is no bargain when it doesn't do what you want."

Article Link: Apple Sweeps Consumer Reports' Laptop Recommendations

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
This may help me convince a few people I know that are on the cusp of switching to a Mac.

Comment

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
= Macs are worth the price, you get what you pay for (you know the drill)

"Steve Jobs: We're better than you are! We have better stuff.
Bill Gates: You don't get it, Steve. That doesn't matter!"

Does it Matter?

Comment

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Of course, in the performance to cost ratio category, which is currently the most important to me, Macs fail. But I'm guessing that's not important to most consumers, and thus a Mac is a good buy. Especially the current Macbook line.

I'd like to know the specifics of how the MBP scored, however. That thing is outrageously priced for its limited improvements over even the baseline white Macbook.

Comment

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Of course, in the performance to cost ratio category, which is currently the most important to me, Macs fail. But I'm guessing that's not important to most consumers, and thus a Mac is a good buy. Especially the current Macbook line.

I'd like to know the specifics of how the MBP scored, however. That thing is outrageously priced for its limited improvements over even the baseline white Macbook.

The Pro also came in first in both categories for the 15 and 17.

Comment

BMWFan

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Do you know why a lot of mac users use Dell displays instead of Apple. It's because Apple doesn't sell a display with specs they want within their budget.

The same goes with PCs. Everyone has a budget. Even Apple fans. Just because it's cheaper doesn't mean "it doesn't do what you want".

Comment

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
While I can agree mac makes a nice notebook. it was lacking in some specific hardware I wanted. so it can be the scored best in performance, build and reliability but the short list grew sort when i learned apple didn't support blu-ray and hdmi out.
Two big factors for me.

Comment

IWantItThatWay

Suspended
Apr 26, 2009
They still need to be cheaper and more customization. For example, there should be a 15/16 inch MacBook for under $1000.

Comment

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
They still need to be cheaper and more customization. For example, there should be a 15/16 inch MacBook for under $1000.

Yup. Completely agree. For example, my mother needs a replacement for her ancient iBook. She does NOT need any serious power, but a larger 17" screen to watch movies on would be a great feature for her. Unfortunately, she'd have to spend $1800 for that screen, over the baseline Macbook. And there's no way, with her technical skills, she could transition to a PC. So, unfortunately, the low-end Macbook it is.

Comment

BMWFan

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Damn if that's the defects for Apple I want to see the list for PC companies. :rolleyes:

Well the second guy I posted moved his mom back to windows, and is moving back to windows the next purchase he makes because his apple products were more defective than the pc products.

edit: another example of a mac user going back to windows after his apple experience.

http://www.appledefects.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=392
6 months ago I was avid Mac fan. I couldn't get enough...I was an iPod buying, MacBook toting, Airport surfing mac junkie...until my beloved MacBook began to fall apart. Another defective system later and a few encounters with some rude geniuses at the Genuis Bar...I took the unlikely plunge so few mac users do...I decided to make the switch back to a PC. Not only had Apple's poor quality and poor customer service driven me away from macs but I also vowed to boycott all Apple products.

I am happy to report that tomorrow I will officially be devoid of ALL Apple products, and it feels good. I started with replacing my Black MacBook with a Dell Latitude D620. Then slowly I replaced my Airport, iHome Alarm Clock, etc. Eventually the only Apple device left was 30GB iPod Video.

Tomorrow, my new Microsoft Zune ships in and my iPod ships out...completing my switch back to PC. Goodbye Apple. You won't be missed.

Update on the Latitude D620: 5 months of owning the Latitude and I have experienced absolutely NO problems whatsoever with this machine. It runs great, doesn't get too hot, and it's rock solid. It took Apple 2 tries and 2 repairs to get a working system to me (and that system still had serious problems). Dell got it right on the first try...no mistakes!

Let's hope the Zune delivers the same reliability and build quality.

Comment

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Consumer reports mean nothing. Apple notebooks have always had a history of failing. Heck I even heard one of the iBooks had a 75% failure rate.

Oh it means nothing eh, so if all those people buying the notebooks had them failing on them as you would like as to believe, why the heck would they give them high ratings, makes no sense.

Comment

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Comment

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Well the second guy I posted moved his mom back to windows, and is moving back to windows the next purchase he makes because his apple products were more defective than the pc products.

Aww did his mum's have defects too? because if she was happy with her Mac then... that's just mean
:)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.