Apple Switching Back to NVIDIA Graphics for Upcoming Mac Pro Update?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M.I.C gadget reports that it has received information from sources indicating that Apple is "close to finally updating" its aging Mac Pro line. As we detailed in a report last month, the window for a potential Mac Pro update is approaching as Intel prepares to launch its Sandy Bridge E Xeon processors and AMD is pushing out its new "Tahiti" family of graphics cards.

But M.I.C gadget reports that Apple may be planning to switch back to NVIDIA for its stock graphics options in the next Mac Pro instead of sticking AMD as on the current models. The move, which would line up with a rumored similar shift for the MacBook Pro, could open the door to improved performance on a number of applications such as those from Adobe that embrace NVIDIA's CUDA architecture.
    The report cites "rumblings" that Apple may be targeting a Mac Pro update "near the end of quarter three", although that timeframe may be subject to change. The report's definition of "end of quarter three" is a bit unclear, as that would equate to September as measured by calendar quarters or June as measured by Apple's fiscal calendar. But with Intel pushing out Sandy Bridge E chips in "spring" and NVIDIA reportedly launching Kepler in April, Apple would likely be able to follow fairly closely on the heels of those releases with a Mac Pro update if it elects to do so.

But curiously, the report also claims that Apple will be looking to jump directly to Ivy Bridge, Intel's successor processor family to Sandy Bridge, for the revised Mac Pro. Intel's Sandy Bridge E processors have seen significant delays but are now close to shipping, and it is unclear how Apple's Mac Pro plans would line up with any Ivy Bridge server chip plans from Intel.

Unfortunately, M.I.C gadget does not have a terribly accurate record on hardware rumors, particularly on the Mac Pro front where last year the site was one of those sources claiming that Apple would issue a mid-year Mac Pro update using a custom processor from Intel. So while a switch to NVIDIA for graphics cards in the next Mac Pro may make sense given the timeline for availability on NVIDIA's Kepler lineup, we hesitate to place too much faith in this report's claims for the time being.

Article Link: Apple Switching Back to NVIDIA Graphics for Upcoming Mac Pro Update?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I bet we don't see a new Mac Pro until WWDC2012.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Why did this article even get attention? It should have immediately been thrown in the trash can when M.I.C. said the the Mac Pro is getting an Ivy Bridge processor :rolleyes:

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

AMD is starting to get their compute deficiency in order with Tahiti. CUDA is more mature, but it would be an odd time to switch.

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

I think that would be great (nvidia) for the Adobe production suite. In any case - bring on the new Mac Pro !:mad:

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Grasping at straws for page hits. At least it is not sensationalism.

7. siii macrumors newbie

AMD's 7XXX's are brilliant, (performance, thermals and acoustics) but yes, nvidia for CUDA please...

8. Bear macrumors G3

Or Apple could offer the option of 1 or 2 video cards from each manufacturer. They have done that in the past.

Sorting truth from rumor is much more difficult than sorting wheat from chaff a lot of the time.

9. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Why go for ivy bridge when they could wait 5 years and go for something far more advanced.

It's not as if people are in a hurry to upgrade their mac pros...

10. wikus, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Don't be so generous, WWDC2012 will be a short blurb on Mac Pros. They'll be released 18 months later.

Apple doesnt give a crap about the prosumer market, unfortunately. All theyve been doing in the last 5 years is dancing around the iphone and now the ipad.

----------

The words 'option' and 'choice' don't exist in Apple's vocabulary. If they did, Apple's history of crappy video cards available for Mac Pros would be very different.

11. G4er? macrumors 6502a

The reason that gap between the mini and the Mac Pro exists.

12. commander.data macrumors 65816

Current nVidia GPUs are limited to outputting to 2 displays which doesn't play as nice with Thunderbolt. Assuming the Mac Pro gets at least 2 Thunderbolt ports like the iMac, then with each port theoretically supporting 2 displays, it'd be good if Keplar can drive at least 4 displays from one GPU.

And saying that Apple is waiting for Ivy Bridge dual processor Xeons before updating the Mac Pro is basically saying that the Mac Pro won't be updated this year.

13. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

Or wait 10 - 20 years for something even better...

It's been 1.5 years since the last upgrade, and 3 years since the one before that. My 3-year old box is really getting old and slow at running the newer apps and equipment. Offer the power and speed I need along with Thunderbolt, and I'm ready to buy.

14. Bear macrumors G3

I never said they would be good choices. Right now you can get 1 or 2 ATI HD 5770 cards or 1 5870 in a Mac Pro when you custom configure it. As for Apple's vocabulary:
    • Option must exist because they allow you to pick from custom configuration options.
    • Choice must also exist based on what Option means and also you have the choice of color on iOS devies and the choice of base models (that you can then custom configure to some extent) on various Mac models.
    Just because there aren't infinite options/choices, it doesn't mean there are none.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ivy Bridge is nice but still not much more than an extension of Sandy Bridge. If you have anything Nehalem/Sandy Bridge based currently, you are better off waiting for Haswell. My MacBook is about to hit 5 years old and Ivy Bridge would be a great improvement but I see more gains in Haswell compared to a 22nm Sandy Bridge improvement. It is a lot like Conroe to Penryn on the same socket.

16. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

wow.. mac pro rumors

I thought I would never see the day

17. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

So somewhere around September/October. IF LUCKY, I read into it. I'd be surprised to see an update in the summer.

No doubt the next MacPro update might be one of the last before it is cut. With FW, there is no need for these ultra-chunky Pros. The could just make a mini-Tower Pro housing the ultra-processing power and the users purchase FW devices to enlarge the computer's storage and PCI abilities, etc. Though it would be ugly, since the all-in-one nature of the MacPro would vanish, it would make for a much cheaper and more desirable machine among lower-end users that want something powerful but not tricked out.

Plus, outside of the 1% of users that are super-gamers, or the 1% that do CGI work, or the ones doing massive video work, the smaller Macs are way-powerful at this time. I use Adobe's suites on a 5-y-o Pro tower and it is smoking fast; I'll admit it would be nice if faster, but it doesn't inconvenience me like the old days of waiting minutes for a filter to be applied to a photo.

18. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Too bad nVidia chips have a 90% failure rate, meaning that you'd have to buy 10 Macs to get one that works.

19. tarproductions macrumors member

tarproductions

Would FCP X benefit from CUDA processing? I can't recall right now but I thought Apple highlighted an AMD feature when they announced FCP X (something about the using the GPU engine?)

If not, it would seem strange to me that Apple would make a switch that would benefit Adobe apps and not their own. I know Da Vinci Resolve taps the power of CUDA.

20. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Me too. Mine is now 4 years old. (forgot to quote...)

21. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Me too. Mine is now 4 years old.

22. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Indeed. CPU speed has caught up with human response time in many areas of professional work. 15 years ago, I would be so anxious to upgrade my mac to the faster one around the corner because it'd cut my waiting time on stuff like photoshop filters by half, but nowadays I'm not waiting for my computer to do anything. More speed is always nice, but diminishing returns have arrived a while back.

----------

Mine is 4 years old and I can't find any place where I'd need more speed except gaming.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Part of the problem is the drivers, and Apple could be more proactive about sorting that out.

It's also possible that they won't piggyback video over thunderbolt here.

They use OpenCL rather than CUDA. NVidia is generally preferred on the PC end. I'm not sure I believe that they're returning to Macs. In fact this whole article looks like macrumors is just trolling us.

That was more of an isolated thing. It doesn't apply to every NVidia card, but rather a limited portion of a previous generation. GPUs are always a problem with macs anyway.

All of the information I find on Haswell seems (somewhat understandably) centered around mobile devices. Did you find anything regarding desktop and xeon cpu predictions?

24. TMay macrumors 68000