Apple Tablet Delayed with OLED Model Planned? 3G Possible?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes claims that Apple is planning on postponing the launch of their long rumored tablet device from March to the second half of 2010 as they make some final adjustments to the device's components.

According to their sources, Apple is working with Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), Quanta Computer and Pegatron Technology in the manufacturing of two different tablet PCs, one with a 10.6 inch TFT LCD while the other will have a 9.7-inch OLED panel. The reason for the delay is speculated to be related to the relatively high cost of the OLED panel itself which could bring the total cost of the device near $2000. Meanwhile, the 10.6 inch LCD device is estimated to cost around $800-$1000.

It's not clear why Apple would release two such similarly sized models if the only difference was the screen technology. Another interesting possibility, however, mentioned in the article is that the cost of the tablet could be discounted with 3G service, as has been done on the iPhone.

Meanwhile, publishers are already planning ahead for the possibility of a device. Conde Nast is reportedly readying a digital version of Wired magazine in anticipation of increasing popularity of these tablets.

Article Link: Apple Tablet Delayed with OLED Model Planned? 3G Possible?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I still see no reason for an iTablet. Especially when I have an MBP and 3GS.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'd consider paying extra for an OLED screen of the same size, but why would they even think about putting the device on the market with two different screen sizes? (I understand that if they did, they probably decided 10.6 is the way to go, but can only afford an OLED at 9.7) They should pick the size they want it to be, and that should be the only size they offer.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
I still see no reason for an iTablet. Especially when I have an MBP and 3GS.
Same here I see no need especially if the itablet will cost well over $500. The most irritating thing though is that we may have to endure another 6 months+ of rumors and anticipation.

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
l" said:
Digitimes claims that Apple is planning on postponing the launch of their long rumored tablet device from March to the second half of 2010 as they make some final adjustments to the device's components.
How can Apple postpone the launch of a device that has not been announced -

eyephone

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Take your time Apple.

Get it right, and I will buy two, even at the $2000 price point.

But ya gotta get it right. :apple:

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
More likely there is no tablet. Because rumours and leaks haven't been coming out of Apple, because there is no tablet, the rumour-mongers are claiming there is a delay so they aren't disproved in a couple of months.

corinna

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
Too big?

A 9” or 10” screen is a little too big for what I’d ask for in a tablet. The 6” screen (same size as the Kindle) would be about right. I could stuff it in my purse or book bag easily. Also, a smaller screen would mean a cheaper tablet. If I had a choice between a $259 Kindle or a $499 Apple, I’d go with the Apple still; however, once that Apple hits $799 or $999 I’m not even going to give it serious consideration.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2004
I can read books on my MBP
I can listen to music on my MBP
I can watch video on my MBP
I can access the internet on the go with my MBP

So what is my compelling reason to buy this thing? Long battery life and the ability to read newspapers and magazines (for me). But I ain't gonna shell out $2000 just to read the newspaper on my daily commute. I also just do not see that the battery life on this thign is going to be as long as my Sony 505 e-reader.

Still puzzled at this whole tablet thing, and becoming more pessimistic as time goes by, and less like to fall under the effects of the reality distortion field.

Tom

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
GO OLED!, it's your birthday!

I do agree though that I am a big supporter of devices taking longer to come out and get things right and stable rather than rushed out the door to make money *cough*Xbox360*cough*BBstorm

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
All of this sounds like BS to me... two screen sizes within an inch of each other?
If it does exist, then it will be the OLED version replacing the former version.

If it does exist, it is possible that the former version has been cancelled, and the launch device will be the OLED version.

It probably doesn't exist.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
Why not release the non-OLED version in Q1 and just update the screen later in the year when the tech becomes more affordable, you know, the way Apple does with every other product they make? This makes no sense at all.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
But not as easily or as well as you will be able to on the Tablet.

So what is my compelling reason to buy this thing? Long battery life and the ability to read newspapers and magazines (for me). But I ain't gonna shell out $2000 just to read the newspaper on my daily commute. I also just do not see that the battery life on this thign is going to be as long as my Sony 505 e-reader.

Still puzzled at this whole tablet thing, and becoming more pessimistic as time goes by, and less like to fall under the effects of the reality distortion field.

Tom
It is all about the interface.

People said the same thing about iPhone, "I can listen to music/browse the web/watch video/etc on my Windows Mobile phone/Blackberry/Palm/etc right now! Whats the big deal????"

The big deal was the interface. Apple doesnt make products to do new things, it makes products that make already possible things an easy and elegant part of your everyday life.

cloud

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2002
The Matrix

Tom
Sounds like you should stop complaining and just don't get it. It's obviously not for you, unless you want someone to convince you to get it.

:apple:

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
If it has not been done yet MacRumors should do a survey on the viability of an Apple tablet. In particular questions polling readers about how likely you would be to purchase one and up to how much you would be willing to spend on rumored tablet. A poll asking the opinion of how viable said tablet would be, namely do you even see a point in one? to yeah I like to fantasize about potential......

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Why not release the non-OLED version in Q1 and just update the screen later in the year when the tech becomes more affordable, you know, the way Apple does with every other product they make? This makes no sense at all.
I agree! I predict that sometime in the future Apple will release a tablet--))) :rolleyes:

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
But, Macatagonist, it's called a NETBOOK. Prissy Apple doesn't want to go lowbrow by creating a cheap Apple hardware/software that is under $899 (or even $999). The fact that it doesn't open up and close w/ an actual keyboard just shows Apple wants to push a gimmick on to the public and say "you WILL like this, it's also made BY us (which you love)".

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
So far, there has been only 1 product that has shipped with a screen size larger than 5 inches: the Sony XEL-1 at 11". And it costs $2495 from the Sony Store (heck, Sony doesn't even sell it anymore).

This is wishful thinking, just like the iPhone OLED rumor earlier this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.