Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
Built in connectivity (ala Kindle) had better be there. The last thing I need is yet another $60 a month data plan. I have enough of those already.

Yeah that would be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm sure they will try to get into our wallets $ome more.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Hoping for more than a large iPhone

If all this does is to increase the size of an iPhone, then count me unimpressed. I'll need some additional/significant differences in order to get me on board.

...that being said, with the added rumor of iPhone 4.0, they may be debuting just such differences.

I'd really like to be able to run full-featured apps on such a device.

At a minimum, I want handwriting recognition. As mentioned, you cannot hold a device like this and type. You need handwriting input.

Additionally, I will not buy an entirely new wireless plan in addition to the plan I already have for my phone; that will be a huge barrier to entry for me and if they're counting on it, count me out.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
so i won't be able to play Logic Pro on this? I'm fine if it's not a processing power house, but i wouldn't pay $800 or a grand not to be able to play basic mac applications.

If it's really just a kindle plus, it's a toy. A nice sexy toy. But I already have an iphone for that.

Let me apologise in advance for this, but I really hate the concept that a device that doesn't run 'basic mac '(i.e. OS X) desktop applications is a toy.

Why, in the name of all that's holy, would you want to run a desktop application on a 10" screen that's controlled with your finger? It doesn't make any sense, applications MUST be built around the OS and input methods available on a platofrm, it's why Windows Tablets are all crap (and trust me, that's from experience) - it's a compromise that brings no benefits for the user and almost always results in a worse experience that a mouse and keyboard that the app was designed for.

Now, on the concept of it being a 'toy' - bollocks quite frankly. Is it a device for professionals? No, but again no 10" touchscreen device is going to be, the format has built in limitations. If you want to run apps like that for the love of god buy a laptop with a nice big screen, keyboard and mouse/trackpad. However if you're a normal home user that browses the web, watches movies and creates content with stuff like iPhoto and iMovie instead of Photoshop and Premier then it could be perfect. Make the apps super simple with enough functionality to produce good results and target it at home users. Give it enough local storage to not need a host PC to sync with. Make it trivial to find apps, music, movies and publications. Make it instant-on and require virtually zero maintenance. Hey presto, the first true consumer computer.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Please somebody explain to me how your supposed to hold this thing? While using Multi-Touch? While typing???

I assume these questions have been answered over many, many hours of design and testing.

I'm hoping Apple has some sort of super glass for this thing, like Corning's Gorilla Glass, or we can expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the clumsy customer base. While an iPhone may survive a fall without damage, I don't see a 10" tablet faring as well.

Again, I assume this has been answered over many, many hours of design and testing.

*crosses fingers*

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Isnt

126x100_apptabnew2.jpg

+ iphone approximately =

500x_500x_500x_500x_500x_500x_apple-tablet-contest_02.jpg

????????? Ok, so maybe the boarders dont read aluminum, but it sounds like that is pretty close.

2nd Pic looks sexy!!!!! <drooooooooolllllling>

My wallet is ready to give you money Steve, I'm ready to email my account number so I can be the 1st to purchase this. Take my money Apple!!!!! Take it!!!

"I'll buy anything that's shiny and made by Apple"

lilj4425

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2007
Well, typing would probably involve a split keyboard that can be reached with your thumbs on either side. Multitouch would involve either: (1) holding it with one hand while the other gestures; or (2) Apple has created antigravity and the device will simply hover in front of you. Maybe THAT'S what all the excitement is about.

What you talkin about? The i (whatever you want to call it) is going to have a wireless remote where you can tell it to fly to anywhere you want on Earth. It will use the sun for power and satellite gps for directions. Maybe we'll be able to tell it to fly to the moon and back. :eek: :D :p

Zargot

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Texas
FWIW, a Verizon executive strongly intimated that they are getting the Apple tablet and the iPhone recently in a meeting with my boss. He claimed the AT&T exclusivity expired on 12/31/2009...

Of course, he was trying to sell our school district wireless services...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Please somebody explain to me how your supposed to hold this thing? While using Multi-Touch? While typing???

Gee, I have no idea. My iPod Touch is impossible to use too. I try to type and it flies all over the place because I keep trying to move my hands around to the top while they are below and holding it.... I think you have to have extremely fast reflexes so your hands are on the top and bottom simultaneously.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

I don't think this device is designed to be used as a word processor. It's a multimedia device designed around multi-touch.

Since it's about the same size as the new wireless keyboard just set it on the keyboard drawer and type using the touch typing keyboard.

And it's so light you can hold it in one hand.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
30-pin dock connector? Does this basically confirm (if the rumours are true) that it won't run full blown OS X and will need to be synced from a separate computer? Unless it's just for the docking station which too has been rumoured.

londonmystery

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
London, UK
Let me apologise in advance for this, but I really hate the concept that a device that doesn't run 'basic mac '(i.e. OS X) desktop applications is a toy.

Why, in the name of all that's holy, would you want to run a desktop application on a 10" screen that's controlled with your finger? It doesn't make any sense, applications MUST be built around the OS and input methods available on a platofrm, it's why Windows Tablets are all crap (and trust me, that's from experience) - it's a compromise that brings no benefits for the user and almost always results in a worse experience that a mouse and keyboard that the app was designed for.

Now, on the concept of it being a 'toy' - bollocks quite frankly. Is it a device for professionals? No, but again no 10" touchscreen device is going to be, the format has built in limitations. If you want to run apps like that for the love of god buy a laptop with a nice big screen, keyboard and mouse/trackpad. However if you're a normal home user that browses the web, watches movies and creates content with stuff like iPhoto and iMovie instead of Photoshop and Premier then it could be perfect. Make the apps super simple with enough functionality to produce good results and target it at home users. Give it enough local storage to not need a host PC to sync with. Make it trivial to find apps, music, movies and publications. Make it instant-on and require virtually zero maintenance. Hey presto, the first true consumer computer.

+1, I totally agree with pretty much all the above. Oh and for the americans who don't understand the word "Bollocks", in the sentence above it means what a load of old s..t. :):)

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Gee, I have no idea. My iPod Touch is impossible to use too. I try to type and it flies all over the place because I keep trying to move my hands around to the top while they are below and holding it.... I think you have to have extremely fast reflexes so your hands are on the top and bottom simultaneously.

Your poor attempt at sarcasm holds even less merit because of it's intellectual shortcomings and lack of common sense.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
There were some pretty believable reports about Steve being pissed the Qualcomm chip did not support every protocol Steve needed. I suspect this has been enough time to work out the chip, but the point being all 3GS hardware is not software upgradable to support the protocol.

Or he could have been faking the pissage to impact negotiations with AT&T and Verizon. I doubt it.

In any case this will be CDMA compatible. I just hope it is also LTE compatible even if that feature is not enabled for a year. Steve was pretty fixated on talking at the initial iPhone release, about the importance of releasing as evolved HARDWARE as possible and enabling features in software over time.

The way things actually went, we now already have 2 tiers of devices and will soon have 3.

1. iPhone 2G

2. iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS

3. iPhone 4G, iPad

It would have been a whole bunch less painful to forsake iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G as a traunch and support forward 3GS and beyond considering how many 3GS's have shipped. A bunch!

Ahhhhh, the headaches of the Apple CEO. :D

Rocketman

lilj4425

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2007
Eww Verizon.

They suck.

So how about that AT&T 3G coverage compared to Verizons? Oh wait. Verizon FTW. I hate AT&T. The day Apple moves the iphone to Verizon is the day I finally buy one.

-Ignore this post if you're being sarcastic. :p

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I sort of doubt that Steve Jobs would release something of this importance if it is just a big iPod. While it would doubtless be cool, it would not break new ground. If it's just a big iPod touch/media gizmo/reader it better come in at $599 to $799.

So, I'm betting it runs a full version of OS X optimized for touch, and it will be an alternative to the MB Plastic, and will be more of a netbook substitute than a big iPod. It will also sport the media gizmo/reader functions... which will justify a $1,000 pricetag.

Optimising the OS isn't the issue, it's the applications that are the problem. Microsoft actually delivered a decent tablet OS back in the Windows XP days and even stuck it on halfway decent hardware from Samsung. Quarter circle keyboards at the bottom two corners for typing with thumbs, stylus for a mouse substitute and it worked well. Right up to the point you tried to use something like word which wasn't built for a 7" screen and stylus control. It went from bad to unuseable in day to day use and, basically sucked.

For that reason the tablet will NOT run OS X. Some idiot would get it, put photoshop on there and bitch like hell about it not working properly and not being able to actually hit what they were trying to use in the interface.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
(2) MacBook Pro 17" - While I don't expect it on the 15", I want to see a carbon fiber unibody on the 17" model. Apple made advances in a design process using such material (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...-for-improving-aesthetics-of-carbon-fiber.ars). If they don't announce this on January 27th, I'll be disappointed. BAD Apple! BAD... Apple! (shakes a stick at an Apple).

I certainly hope this is the new thing. But definitely not this year. Apple tends to keep their laptop designs for a few years. Just look at the one before the unibody. It came in around early 2003 and ended in late 2008 with the unibodies. (Just about 6 years) But if the do finally get the carbon fiber out their in the open it will be cool to be able to see all of the fancy new colors !!!(hopefully. I'd still get boring black though)

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
so i won't be able to play Logic Pro on this? I'm fine if it's not a processing power house, but i wouldn't pay $800 or a grand not to be able to play basic mac applications.

Add Aperture 3, iLife'10 and Final Cut Pro ! Hahahahaha :D:D:D

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Everyone I know who had a 3G (including myself) had the plastic crack in some way. My 3G-S still shows no signs of cracking though.

What the heck do you do to your phone?

I have a 3g since the day it came out and it is not cracked even in the slightest.

Maybe it is because I take it out of my pocket before dry humping?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.