Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Who wants a 10.1 inch screen? The smallest MacBook screen is 13.3 inch and even that is considered too small. Apple are terribly wrong if they think people are going to prefer these small screen over a MacBook.

According to whom? I've been using 15" Apple laptops since Apple has sold them. I recently bought a 13.3" MBP to supplement and now I'm wondering if I want a "big" 15" next time I upgrade. The 13.3 is a fantastic size, and truly if a 10.1 has decent resolution it's going to be great too. It's not really just about screen size. Resolution plays a huge part. I agree a 10.1" w/ 800x600 resolution would be terrible but I doubt that is what Apple has in mind.

MaSx

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2010
Hey who cares, LCD or OLED. It's Apple we are talking about, it will be expensive, hyped and people will still buy it..because Apple is Apple.

Just another Apple BURN-YOUR-CASH-DAY. Same old same old =) move on xD

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Hey who cares, LCD or OLED. It's Apple we are talking about, it will be expensive, hyped and people will still buy it..because Apple is Apple.

Just another Apple BURN-YOUR-CASH-DAY. Same old same old =) move on xD

Exactly! It could be a steaming pile of poo straight from the horse's arse, but if it has an :apple: logo on it it will be an expensive pile and, regardless of the price or the smell, it will be another "need" for our Apple gadget collections ;)

jo0

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Exactly! It could be a steaming pile of poo straight from the horse's arse, but if it has an :apple: logo on it it will be an expensive pile and, regardless of the price or the smell, it will be another "need" for our Apple gadget collections ;)

im ashamed....but it's true. i'd put my pile next to my new hd cinema screen.

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Article makes sense. I also don't see dual options available; in the recent years Apple has been a big fan of "less is more", so if anything, the only options that will differentiate models would most likely be memory, just like with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Having a OLED model priced higher than an LCD version would cannibalize the LCD versions' sales, as it would give the consumer the feeling that the LCD version wasn't as good. Apple likes selling things that sell well, not niche items that cost more because they utilize more expensive technology.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i have a feeling that the new tablet and the next iphone will have much less new stuff than what's actually being "rumored." it's typical of apple to give less for more.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm not sure I’d want OLED anyway: they don’t last well, and the color shifts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_LED#Lifespan

Until I’ve heard those problems are clearly solved, I’ll prefer LED-backlit LCD. But maybe they have been :)

OLED sounds like it’s useful for devices that aren’t lit up very much—like non-smart phones where you dial and then the screen shuts off, or music players that don’t do much else.

A screen that could be in use for hours a day (in other words, a device with lots of apps) would degrade too quickly for me.

i have a feeling that the new tablet and the next iphone will have much less new stuff than what's actually being "rumored." it's typical of apple to give less for more.

Less than made-up rumors? Yes.

More cost than the competition for truly comparable specs/features? No—that hasn’t been typical for years, though the myth goes on. Every company has over-priced models in the mix (even Dell) but with Apple they are the exception.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
I'm not sure I’d want OLED anyway: they don’t last well, and the color shifts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_LED#Lifespan

Until I’ve heard those problems are clearly solved, I’ll prefer LED-backlit LCD. But maybe they have been :)

Any attempts at increasing OLED lifespan are still unproven (see, in part: how few OLEDs are being produced). But what I've never seen these articles address, that claim all these portable devices will eventually "upgrade" to OLED, is how they're going to improve battery life to the point that people will be willing to take the loss and/or UI concessions associated with OLED screens.

OLED screens require marginally less power than LCDs when most of the screen is black, but try watching a video or, say, reading a newspaper, and power draw goes way up.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
OLED screens require marginally less power than LCDs when most of the screen is black, but try watching a video or, say, reading a newspaper, and power draw goes way up.

Yeah, that too. And I like black-on-white for many apps. Reversing the whole UI to white on black just to make OLED practical (like the Zune HD did) would not appeal to me. Not when I’m doing such a variety of tasks, playing games, etc.

I’m all for new display technologies, but OLED, for now, is just not there.

kdarling

macrumors P6
... There are hundreds of use cases in which it is faster to do things on the iPhone than on a normal portable. Flicking through a list is a simple example of an operation that is not only easier but is also more natural to do on a multitouch screen than on a normal computer.

Easier? Not always.

Especially if it's list of 50 states to choose from and you want West Virginia. Or a choice of car models and you want Yugo. Or a choice of cities and you want to choose White Plains.

Don't even get me started on long PDFs or web pages. :)

Flicking is good for short lists. Otherwise it's a lot easier with a mouse and a scrollbar.

(Multitouch isn't needed for flicking, btw.)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I, too, applaud that we finally have a believable rumor. OLED ain't ready for prime time, and doesn't offer enough of an advantage for the cost (and in fact offers several critical disadvantages).

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Easier? Not always.

Especially if it's list of 50 states to choose from and you want West Virginia. Or a choice of car models and you want Yugo. Or a choice of cities and you want to choose White Plains.

Don't even get me started on long PDFs or web pages. :)

Flicking is good for short lists. Otherwise it's a lot easier with a mouse and a scrollbar.

(Multitouch isn't needed for flicking, btw.)

Unless it's utilized like Artist selection on the iPhone/iPod Touch, where the letters appear on the right side so you can quickly go to the end of the list.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Finally - some logical reasoning to quash some of the absurd rumors! OLEDs don't play well with the sun. Apple would be silly to introduce them on a portable whatever-it's-going-to-do device.

After I watched videos of the founder of Pixel Qi talking about their screen and the way the industry works with displays and the technology and infrastructure, I really started to see things clearly. OLED is mostly hype and gimmick. The things that can still be done with LCD technology seem a lot more promising and realistic!

lex750

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
The mac tablet will end up looking just like any other apple product. Unfortunately a bit to feminine for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.