Apple Tablet to Launch in Early 2010 Using Chip Platform From P.A. Semi?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Artist's rendition of Apple tablet computer

AppleInsider reports that Apple is putting the finishing touches on its much-rumored tablet computer and is looking to launch the device, depicted in an artist's rendition, in early 2010. The report recaps a long history of developmental fits and starts as Apple has designed and redesigned the device in search of a solution meeting the company's high standards for product design and performance.
The 10-inch, 3G-enabled tablet, akin to a jumbo iPod touch, is the latest brainchild of chief executive Steve Jobs. That distinction, as insiders will tell you, carries its share of baggage. Under the critical eye of Jobs, contours must be precise, each pixel of the interface has to match a particular vision, and there can be no fault -- no matter how slight -- or it's back to the drawing board.

As such, AppleInsider has observed silently as the project was reset at least a half-dozen times over the past 24 months. Each time, development was frozen and key aspects of the device rethought, retooled and repositioned. At times, those close to the Apple co-founder had their doubts that it would ever see the light of day, just like a smaller PDA device he canned a few years after returning to the company.
Sources now indicate, however, that Jobs is satisfied with current design of the device and the company is moving quickly toward a release in the first quarter of 2010.
However, the past six months have reportedly seen the critical pieces fall into place. Jobs, who's been overseeing the project from his home, office and hospital beds, has finally achieved that much-sought aura of satisfaction. He's since cemented the device in the company's 2010 roadmap, where it's being positioned for a first quarter launch, according to people well-respected by AppleInsider for their striking accuracy in Apple's internal affairs.
The report notes that considerable delays in the tablet's development have been due to decisions regarding the device's processing technology. While Apple had initially envisioned the tablet to run using Intel's Atom platform, sources hint that dissatisfaction over battery life led Apple to reconsider its decision and ultimately purchase chipmaker P.A. Semi in order to move forward with its own ARM-based chip designs. P.A. Semi's role in delivering chips for the forthcoming tablet was rumored earlier this month based on VentureBeat sources who claimed that P.A. Semi's team had been divided into two parts, one for iPhone/iPod and one for a tablet, upon Apple's acquisition of the company in early 2008.

Article Link: Apple Tablet to Launch in Early 2010 Using Chip Platform From P.A. Semi?

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
With everything they have against the performance on netbooks, hopefully this will break that barrier and give us something that's actually usable in real life situations.

I bet it will be expensive though.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
What is it for?

iPhone/iPod Touch = Small
MB/MBP = Good size

Who wants something too big for a pocket? If you are going to carry a bag, use your MB/MBP.

Can someone explain how it fits in and who the target market is? :confused:

Oh-es-Ten

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
London
I like the thought of this.. however I don't see Apple applying the same user paradigm to the 'netbook' as they did the smartphone...

I would like to think instead of just 'a big iPod Touch' they might surprise us with something a bit more ground breaking...

But who knows... ??

wpc33

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That mock-up is horrible.
I used to be intrigued by this concept, but as a regular MR reader, I'll just be glad to hear the speculation stop! :p The iPhone was less fan-hyped.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Will definitely buy it.
as long as it has 3-4 times (GPU, CPU, and RAM wise) what the iPhone 3GS is - i'll definitely pick it up.

and with the kind of power used to run a power book or such.. it'd be amazing to see what devs can pull out of it game wise.

i'm excited. but i won't get my hopes up until i see it at a keynote.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
What is it for?

MB/MBP = Good size

Who wants something too big for a pocket? If you are going to carry a bag, use your MB/MBP.

Indeed. Most on here salivate after it because it is new and sexy tech. Have they thought about what they'd actually do with it?

Too big to take on the bus, can't imagine playing games on it - how are you supposed to hold it and be able to touch all areas of the screen? I can imagine one-handed holding getting rather tiring!

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
That mock-up is horrible.
I used to be intrigued by this concept, but as a regular MR reader, I'll just be glad to hear the speculation stop! :p The iPhone was less fan-hyped.
yeah, somehow they managed to make the tablet mock-up look like it's in 4:3; I'm sure it'll be in a wide aspect.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
What is it for?

MB/MBP = Good size

Agree. I don't get the point of this.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
What is it for?

MB/MBP = Good size

Agreed, it can't be anything like the photo. Almost no one would buy it, and except for the G4 cube, Steve has a pretty good track record at guessing what people will buy. Even the cube would have been a hit at $999.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
I'm still not sure of the use for this rumored device. Vertical markets and possibly artists aside what would it be really good for? I'm cool with no keyboard on my iphone because room is limited and i prefer extra screen space, but on a mid size device i'd prefer some keys like a netbook kind of thing. I can type faster than I can write and if the device is big enough why not have some real keys?

Maybe if it could act as a secondary display for my Mac Pro via wifi? or a large input device for drawing?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
People who buy the iPod Touch and mainly use it for web browsing, book reading, and watching movies.

If those are your 3 main iPod uses, this thing would be WAY better for you than an iPod.

I suspect there's a lot of folks like that. Who is buying all those Kindles? Might this catch their eye instead since it does all that and more?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm still waiting to hear what this would be good for. If it's just a bigger iPod touch it would be rather pointless, but I can't see it being much else with just an ARM-based processor powering it. What's the "killer feature?"

I also don't believe for a second that that mockup is likely.

P.S. While I still think that ultimately these persistent tablet rumors are a running joke at the Apple "Misinformation Division," I do enjoy reading all the completely unreasonable expectations for such a device that are posted here. I make it a drinking game. I drink whenever I read the term "deal-breaker". ;)

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
People who buy the iPod Touch and mainly use it for web browsing, book reading, and watching movies.

If those are your 3 main iPod uses, this thing would be WAY better for you than an iPod.

I suspect there's a lot of folks like that.
Reading books on a backlit screen? Ugh.