Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I'm continually surprised by those who claim there is no practical use for this kind of product. Just at a baseline this thing has to appeal to students. Online, easy access to text books, class notes, video, audio lecture recording, sketching, etc. Then think businesses where carrying around a full-fledged laptop is cumbersome but a thin tablet would work great for light typing/data-entry (like me in healthcare). Add bluetooth keyboard capability and video out and you have everything you need for most business operations in the field in a form factor that is much easier to use than either a smartphone or a laptop.

These are niches, does that interest Apple?

I'd love to see someone holding one of these and typing two-handed. Their thumbs couldn't even reach the centre of the keyboard!

senorhappy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
People who buy the iPod Touch and mainly use it for web browsing, book reading, and watching movies.

If those are your 3 main iPod uses, this thing would be WAY better for you than an iPod.

I suspect there's a lot of folks like that. Who is buying all those Kindles? Might this catch their eye instead since it does all that and more?

Ok, so those are the tablet's target audiences, but from an industrial design standpoint, why would you try to sell a device that's barely portable? 10" device won't fit into my pocket, while an iPhone/iPod Touch does, and has the same functionality, especially if they're not gonna put a half-decently powerful processor in the tablet. Makes no sense for Apple to loose credibility for a device caught in the middle of their two best products... iPhones and MacBooks.

The MacBook Air (while I think that all MacBooks will eventually morph into this design) was Apple's sell-it-because-it's-cool-and-not-functional device for the 2000's, so I hope they don't start off the 2010's by using their mulligan right off the first tee.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I must say, if it is infact subsidized by Verizon then I will probably pick one up. I am getting into Real Estate early next year and this would be awesome for taking around with when I am showing clients houses and can look up information on different houses online on the fly without having to lug around my macbook and seperate aircard. Plus I like to surf the net while laying around the house and it would be much easier on this than carrying around my Macbook. I guess its not a whole lot difference other than size and convenience really.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i say bring back the genre iBook
o

fail. i think that would create confusion. not only that but a tablet has nothing to do with a book.

and yeah. i don't really think Apple is trying to compete with netbooks. they have stated more than once they don't want to enter that market.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Just a minute,the article says it will have 3g but no mention of WIFI.
Am I gonna HAVE to sign up with ATT to be able to use this? That's a deal breaker right there. I sure hope Apple does not cripple this with no WIFI.
:eek:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You want me to buy a 10" iPod Touch? No way.

Yes, I want you and ONLY you to buy one of these.

That was Apple's plan. To sell only one.

You all are forgetting all the older people I've met who like my iPhone but say the screen is too small for them to see. Should they have to buy a full laptop? Or might they prefer to buy this instead?

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
Wacom digitizer?

The only thing I can see something like this being useful for is a digital sketchbook. That would be awesome for all the artists and designers. But it would really need a wacom digitizer and more powerful processor if it is to run Photoshop.

As is, I don't see the point of this thing. There has to be some details missing that would make this desirable.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
If that things comes out, most likely it will, it will be ****ing awesome. I can imagine being in grad school taking notes with it.
Apple is doing big things.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
What is it for?

iPhone/iPod Touch = Small
MB/MBP = Good size

Who wants something too big for a pocket? If you are going to carry a bag, use your MB/MBP.

Can someone explain how it fits in and who the target market is? :confused:

It's perfect for the medical field. My Doctors (I'm an IT manager for a very large medical group) currently use Motion Computing LE1700 tablets. They are the same basic form factor, except they are heavy, they run windows and suck power like it's going out of style. Oh and they need a pen.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I agree I don't see where this fits in the lineup. Maybe for people that don't have an iPhone or iPod touch.

For me I have an iPhone for quick email, texting and of course phone calls. An iPod touch for music and video. And a laptop for real work. As someone who travels a lot I don't see the need for this.

And if it is Verizon that just creates more problems for the iPhone crowd wanting one of these.

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Ugh, 3G enabled. That does not sound good. Another device shackled to towering subscription fees and limited by being available only through one carrier in each country. The iPhone was such an amazing paradigm shift of a device I was willing to do anything to get one, and after ugly hacks I finally got hands on a factory unlocked 3G.

I am not crazy about having to go through such a battle again, and I sure as hell wont be buying into a expensive monthly contract just to make use of a device. Whatever Apple is cooking for the future, please, not more shackled products, I just want to walk into my nearest store selling said device and get it after forking over the sticker amount, no fuss.

Optimouse^^

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
a little lazy

I'm a little preoccupied this morning, otherwise I'd do some research. Can anyone say what the approximate screen size could be?

If priced right, say btw 500-600, This device would be a verticle niche tablet to dream of for research and marketing firms.

I utilize observation protocols that are a PITA to use on smart phones. Carrying a traditional laptop is out of the question, even the MBAir is clumsy to use while you are standing up. When using paper to mark off observations, at the end of the day my staff can submit hundreds of individual sheets that then need to be scored.

I've just weened my company off of Window$$, so I cannot bear to buy other tablet PCs at this point.

Hurry up Steve- I have a lot of research to do in next year :D

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
What is it for?

MB/MBP = Good size

Who wants something too big for a pocket? If you are going to carry a bag, use your MB/MBP.

the target market is everyone who wants an iphone without the phone

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
who cares. if a game like 'Real Racing' can be played on an iPhone 2G at less than 412-677MHz

imagine what kind of apps could be written at ~1.5GHz with some more RAM and a better GPU.
Wait what?

What about all the software I already have for my Macbook? That doesn't count? That just makes it a big iPod Touch.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
10" iPod Touch - YES! YES! YES!

Laptops need lap tops. It's a royal pain to, on the move, pull one out and flip it open and balance the two-piece-hinged 13"-inch thing in one hand while poking buttons in the other. 10" Touch would work much more like holding a paper notepad.

Since getting my iPod Touch I've nearly given up on my personal notebook computer. With most anything I do being right there on that simple lightweight no-hassle pad I see little use for something that practically dictates using a desk. The only problem is - and I'm not the only one - it's just too darned small! Pocket sized is great, but I'll trade that for a two-hand keyboard ability and bigger screen with more pixels & readable text. Don't put a physical keyboard on there or we're right back to everything that's wrong with a "netbook". A tablet - true tablet, not a twist-and-fold notebook - is thin, light, and simple having virtually no buttons or other moving parts; it's just there, ready to use.

Hey, that's why there's a product LINE: if you don't see a use for it, it's probably not for you. Go buy something else, while a lot of us will pay darn near any price to get a "10-inch iPod Touch".

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
If this had wifi, and I didn't have to buy it on contract, it would make a great all in one media center remote/device. I wouldn't mind having this for just around the house to browse the internet for fun and check emails or what not. Its kinda like a powerful kindle in a way.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
So much for the October 2009 debut that was rumored here a week or 2 ago. Ha ha!

And what about the last 10 years worth of Apple's rumors to release something like this?

The arist's rendition is cool, but so are the devices on Star Trek.

I think whatever tablet/netbook/thingy that Apple releases will likely be late to the market unless it opens up a whole new world of usability...if Apple is targeting Feb 2010 that's still 7+ months from now and I'm sure it's going to be $800+.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Yes, I want you and ONLY you to buy one of these.

That was Apple's plan. To sell only one.

You all are forgetting all the older people I've met who like my iPhone but say the screen is too small for them to see. Should they have to buy a full laptop? Or might they prefer to buy this instead?

Ummm...I really hope people in the iPhone market don't think the way you do.

This tablet will not fit in your pocket. God knows how you're supposed to hold/type on it - you're going to need a table to put it on to type which is annoying. Put in on my lap? How the f*** are you supposed to see the screen if your hands are blocking it while you type (unlike an iPhone which is upright).

This is such a gimmick. I never understood underpowered tablets. It's going to be used in classrooms someone said - good luck giving 6-10 year old's an expensive *droppable* tablet and hoping nothing goes awry.

No one has answered this question: What legit purpose does this device have?

When the iPhone was rumored here on the boards, almost everyone saw potential and practicality.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What is it for?

MB/MBP = Good size

Depends on what OS it runs. If it runs iPhone OS then I agree. If it is a true Mac Tablet then it's great for travelers because it's lighter than a 13" and perfect for artists who can virtually paint or draw right on the "canvas" w/o need of a 3rd party periferal. Also quite intriguing as 2nd or 3rd Mac or as a fancy touch screen A/V remote similar to the Pronto 9600 and 9800. Really the applications are unlimited.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Early 2010? Grrrr.....I was hoping for this fall. I believe the tablet will actually be named the new "MacBook". It's VERY unusual for Apple to have a single MacBook line now that we have a 13 inch MacBook Pro. Plus, how long can they continue to support 2 different construction processes as all their other laptops are unibody?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.