Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
So wasting aluminium (it has to be re-smelted at a guess) by milling blocks is green? Wouldn't that take more energy to produce than casting individual pieces en masse? Are they building solar farms for the factories in China?

Or is this just for the media, to make Apple look good in the U.S press, and to gain pats on the back from Greenpeace. Sure seems like it..

Greenpeace and their ilk aren't that smart. Apple is "green" because they can then advertise that they're "green" and get lots of positive media attention and more customers in the door. They also get less smelly hippies protesting outside their workplaces, distracting their employees. Apple is investing in their own energy sources like solar because they know in the long run it'll save their business money, even when solar panels are awful to the environment to manufacture. You end up with waste products like cadmium-contaminated water, and other nasty stuff, which the solar panel companies then ship off using more energy to dispose of it in often another faraway state. As for Apple's emission-free fuel cells, people happily ignore where the hydrogen actually comes from. Much of it is from fossil fuels, like coal or natural gas. Coal is unequivocally awful, and anyone remember fracking? I believe it was in the Campus 2 topic recently that somebody pointed out that Apple's biofuel buses are actually more polluting than diesel or gas.

So why does Apple do all this, if it's not green at all? They expect oil and gas prices and with them electricity prices on the grid to skyrocket in the coming years. Apple is a business, a big business with shareholders demanding profits. Apple made a good business decision that just so happens to get them lots of positive press. If you try to ascribe any other motivations to their behavior, you're kidding yourself. If they could make more money powering all their data centers with whale oil, they'd be building a big whaling fleet right now.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
None of this addresses our dialogue regarding Apple and refined products. Touch ID had well documented fade issues. Maps; well documented issues which are still being addressed. Siri is... bless her heart. <- Southern thing.

Google giving you wrong directions is basically deflection. It's totally unrelated to Apple's refinement. My point of contention was never with Touch ID, Maps, or Siri. It was with the comment that Apple releases refined where Samsung doesn't. That's not an accurate picture. It does further a narrative though.
No I do think it's a accurate picture Apple maps problems will blown way out of proportion they will wait exaggerated and not everyone experience those issues. The same with touch ID I still stand by that it was a referral product before it came out. Just look at Samsung's implementation of a fingerprint sensor it's horrendous. I can only go by the tech reviews that I read because I do not have a Samsung phone. As for Siri it was never an intended to come out as a refined product hence why it came out as a beta.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Anything in US papers?

I don't think so. Someone would have noticed.
But the ad was also in Australian newspapers (saw it with my own two eyes on the train before I saw this article) and MR was told of this but the article is not updated to reflect this fact. So we have 2 options.

1. Nothing in US papers
2. Was in US papers and MR didn't update the article to include the fact.

Considering the Australian newspapers with the ad in were not edited into the article after MR was told about it, we can't rule out no.2.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
No I do think it's a accurate picture Apple maps problems will blown way out of proportion they will wait exaggerated and not everyone experience those issues. The same with touch ID I still stand by that it was a referral product before it came out. Just look at Samsung's implementation of a fingerprint sensor it's horrendous. I can only go by the tech reviews that I read because I do not have a Samsung phone. As for Siri it was never an intended to come out as a refined product hence why it came out as a beta.

My point of contention was never with Touch ID, Maps, or Siri. It was with the comment that Apple releases refined where Samsung doesn't. You keep explaining things about Touch ID, Maps, and Siri. My responses to your original and subsequent comments had nothing to do with any of those. Your focus is one place and mine is somewhere completely different. Let's just agree to disagree. It's all good.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
"leave the world better than we found it".
Really?
Then stop selling all-in-one Macs (a waste of displays!!!).

They aren't forcing an all-in-one on anybody. People buy it so they can have a display. You can even plug something else in and use the display. The package takes up less space altogether anyways. It is not a waste of anything.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
"There are some ideas we want everyone to copy"... Are they claiming now that they invented solar panels? After inventing rounded corners? After "inventing" slide to unlock? After "inventing" hyper-links?

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Earth Day Ad...

Back page on a London paper called The Metro.

...also in Telegraph newspaper.

----------

"There are some ideas we want everyone to copy"... Are they claiming now that they invented solar panels? After inventing rounded corners? After "inventing" slide to unlock? After "inventing" hyper-links?

...you're reading a little too much into it now.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Why? Newspapers are made from recycled materials and are recyclable themselves.

Paper recycling is a bit of a misnomer. Unlike aluminum, steel, or glass, paper is made of fibers, the quality of which directly relate to how useful the paper is. Paper from one source, once recycled, becomes useless for that same purpose again. The fibers get too damaged, both by the first time's use, and then again in the "recycling" process. At best, you can call it reusing, but it's certainly not recycling. Newspapers out in the world don't become newspapers again in some endless, perfectly closed loop. Not even close.

This is not to mention how awful paper manufacturing really is, and the process is pretty much the same as "recycling" paper. Ever drive through a town where they make paper? Smells awful. I'm not going to list off all the chemicals used to break up the wood fibers, or how much water they use and contaminate, but needless to say we'd all be better off if we'd stop using paper quite so much. Sadly, materials like metal and glass are much too heavy and unsuitable for shipping everything around in, and both are pretty bad for printing on. Plastics are pretty good, actually, but they suffer from the exact same problems when it comes to "recycling" afterwards. Everyone is using their own proprietary chemical blend, despite what those little recycling numbers might have you believe, so a lot of "recyclable plastic" ends up getting ground up, glued together, and molded into park benches. It's reusing, not recycling, and like paper it's definitely not green. True, it's not entirely as bad as using virgin material for everything, but don't be fooled that anything is truly recyclable unless it's glass or metal.

Oh, and uh, don't bother recycling blue bottles. The dye contaminates the whole recycling process so at most places it's sorted out and ends up on a landfill anyway. Clear, brown, and green are okay, though, they're all highly recyclable in the truest sense of the word.

One area where Apple is actually a leader in environmentalism is the use of actually recyclable materials like aluminum and glass in their products, getting away from plastics, and Apple's packaging is minimally designed to reduce how much paper and paperboard they use. Of course, Apple uses metal and glass for entirely aesthetic reasons, and they use less packaging for economic ones. They still get credit for being "green", though, even if those are business decisions not ethical ones.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Have any of you used a Galaxy Tab lately? That thing is such a disgrace to tablets.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Have any of you used a Galaxy Tab lately? That thing is such a disgrace to tablets.

I use Galaxy Note 10.0 2014 every day. If this is a disgrace then what do you call iPad with its lack of multi-window support?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If Apple really wanted to promote they were green - why did they take an ad in a newspaper. Poor trees!!!

/end sarcasm

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

:rolleyes: They didn't claim to invent any of those things.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Would the newspaper have been printed without the ad?

/end logic

if no one advertised, it's possible.

Much like how vegetarians argue that if you don't eat a burger, you save a cow.

I tagged my post with sarcasm. Why bring up logic?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
:rolleyes: They didn't claim to invent any of those things.

Then why are Apple's lawsuits based on the alleged copying of things that "they didn't invent"? If they aren't claiming invention, then why are they suing? (I'm talking about things like rounded corners and such, not solar panels)

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
if no one advertised, it's possible.

Much like how vegetarians argue that if you don't eat a burger, you save a cow.

I tagged my post with sarcasm. Why bring up logic?

There's a difference between "no one" and "apple". I think it's certain to say that the papers would have been printed anyway.

And sorry, I forgot to also add the "/in jest" tag, of course. No harm intended!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Then why are Apple's lawsuits based on the alleged copying of things that "they didn't invent"? If they aren't claiming invention, then why are they suing? (I'm talking about things like rounded corners and such, not solar panels)

Because inflammatory and over-simplistic headlines aren't what lawsuits are based on. Apple didn't sue over rounded corners, they sued over the overall design. Apple didn't sue over slide to unlock, they sued over the claims in their patent that involved manipulating an image along a path to unlock a mobile device. They didn't sue over hyperlinks, they sued over their patented implementation of data detectors.

And, again, I'm summarizing as well. See the actual patent claims for more detail. Patents aren't based on whatever title the media chooses to give them to make a good story.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Because inflammatory and over-simplistic headlines aren't what lawsuits are based on. Apple didn't sue over rounded corners, they sued over the overall design. Apple didn't sue over slide to unlock, they sued over the claims in their patent that involved manipulating an image along a path to unlock a mobile device. They didn't sue over hyperlinks, they sued over their patented implementation of data detectors.

Patents aren't based on whatever title the media chooses to give them to make a good story.

Those patents are, like most patents these days, based on common sense or already in use designs, looks or concepts. For example, there is nothing in iPad's overall design that differs from other items already on the market. I'm sure Apple isn't he first to use rounded corners in any design. Hell, Captain Sisko was using a very iPad looking device back in the 1990s on Star Trek DS9.

nathan.l.larsen

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Typo

To the editor:

While I love the contents of the article, here's a pretty glaring typo.

The advertisement states "There are some ideas we want every company to copy." You have it incorrectly quoted as saying "There are some ideas we want everyone to copy," ...

Tough to proofread at 5:38 AM?:)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Those patents are, like most patents these days, based on common sense or already in use designs, looks or concepts.

Funny how things are common sense after you see them.

For example, there is nothing in iPad's overall design that differs from other items already on the market.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure Apple isn't he first to use rounded corners in any design. Hell, Captain Sisko was using a very iPad looking device back in the 1990s on Star Trek DS9.

Again, Apple didn't patent rounded corners. They didn't sue over rounded corners. The whole "rounded corners" argument is nothing but Samsung PR.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Green energy is great!!!! (Ignoring the fact that solar requires significantly more land than nuclear).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.