Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
This is a problem with China, not Apple.

That's a ridiculous comment - Apple chooses to assemble its products there. They don't choose to do it anywhere else, including their own country, they choose to do it in a place where they know this does and will happen so they can save money. They enable it and therefore it's also their problem.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yea like Apple should be concerned that these students are working overtime, making iPhone X's which result in more being made and shipped out which in turn means profit :rolleyes:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why is a nearly Trillion dollar company allowing its supplier to have what basically sounds like child exploitation to and slave labor to occur. As much as Apple is better than many other companies in this regard, this shows they obviously have ways to go.

Allowing? Did you read the story?

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
1. The school pushed them to work overtime
2. The article doesnt state how many overtime hours per student. 2? 10?
3. The Foxconn policies were already in place
4. Foxconn may not have known about the broken policy
5. How long did this occur? 2 weeks?
6. These are 18 year old people...not 11 year old child labor kids.
7. Exactly how did Foxconn compensate for the broken policy?
8. How many students worked overtime?
9. How will Apple and Foxconn compensate these affected students again?
10. How will Apple and Foxconn and China prevent this from happening again?
11. How will the teacher and school be punished?...and should they? Was a law broken?

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Work ethic. They're learning.
You have no idea about Chinese culture and their education system is like if you honestly believe they need this to learn work ethic... either that or you're trolling. Asians in the far east in general work extremely hard on their studies compared to kids in the West

I'm guessing you're just trolling though, I hope you are

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
"Foxconn said that "all work was voluntary and compensated appropriately," but admitted that the interns "did work overtime in violation of our policy," which reportedly prohibits interns working more than 40 hours per week."

This is quite the Mea Culpa situation here. Looks like it was a mutually beneficial and agreed upon by both parties to break Foxconn's rules. The students admitted to it and Foxconn allowed it. Seems like they were fine with breaking the rules at the time. Foxconn was obviously aware as it happened and chose to let it happen. Companies break their own policies when it's convenient for them quite often.

I think they had no problem dealing with the fallout at a later time.

Reactions: Dave245

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Good on Apple for taking action, and I hope this also gets the attention of Wisconsin. As for the situation in China, that school should be investigated and that teacher jailed but it probably won’t happen.

You really think that the poorly educated Trump voters in Wisconsin (who are being rewarded for voting for Trump) care about slave labor in China?

L.O.L.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
You really think that the poorly educated Trump voters in Wisconsin (who are being rewarded for voting for Trump) care about slave labor in China?

L.O.L.

I would hardly call it slave labour:

"Foxconn said that "all work was voluntary and compensated appropriately," but admitted that the interns "did work overtime in violation of our policy," which reportedly prohibits interns working more than 40 hours per week."

VOLUNTARY was the word that stood out here, also 40 hours really isn't that much, some people here in the U.K work longer than 40 hours. What about the engineers at Apple? Tim Cook and other executives? i'm sure they all work longer than 40 hours a week.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
So petty much exactly the way interns are treated in the US except sometimes we don't even pay our interns. I am glad to see this is a cross cultural phenomenon that can bring us all together. Something that binds us across the human family.

Last edited:
Reactions: zapm

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
Reality : China is the most richest contry in the world. USA has 20 trillion dollar debt.

Because China has a sub standard way of life. If people in the U.S. were making $1 an hour you will see plenty of production here in the U.S.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
You have no idea about Chinese culture and their education system is like if you honestly believe they need this to learn work ethic... either that or you're trolling. Asians in the far east in general work extremely hard on their studies compared to kids in the West

I'm guessing you're just trolling though, I hope you are

Most school have a required practical schedule that is required for exam. It is so here in sweden and i would think most of the practical schools have this internship on the schedule the fault was working overtime. The rest of the 40 hour work week was mandatory for examination. It's a transit workers school program.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA

L.O.L.
First rule of an losing argument:

Call the other side 'stupid'.

I saw that one in 2nd grade:

"Jeffy won't give me the ball"
"Well, Johnny, you've had the ball for 20 minutes, and it's his turn, per the rules."
"Jeffy is stupid."

Reactions: nwcs and danskin

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005

L.O.L.
Do you really think the [random slur] [president or candidate] voters in [any place you think you are better than] care about [issue that you care about]?

Reactions: nwcs

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Most school have a required practical schedule that is required for exam. It is so here in sweden and i would think most of the practical schools have this internship on the schedule the fault was working overtime. The rest of the 40 hour work week was mandatory for examination. It's a transit workers school program.
But do you have to do 3 months full time (totally irrelevant) work to complete school in Sweden?

In the Uk we have to do a week or two sure, during term time so it replaces our classes. I think it's pretty normal. Except in theUK we have a choice of where we want to go so we can do something that's actually relevant to what we want to do in life, not just throw us in some random factory. And certainly not for 3 months. And I highly doubt they do that in Sweden, either.

Reactions: nnoble

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
That's only half the story, Apple isn't innocent in all this. They're the ones putting pressure on the likes of Foxconn to manufacture x amount of iPhones. This gets fed down the system and it's ultimately the workers who pay with poor pay packets, unreasonable working hours and poor working conditions.

Nonsense. That's like saying it's Americans' fault for buying so many shirts on the cheap that China turns a blind eye to textile abuses.

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
Im sure its no different here. I had a 10-12h work day while in college for 4 years. Now i mostly do that extra 2 hours of overtime at a large company without comps since its salary.

When there are deadlines, we all pull in alot of overtime unless you are a 9-5 clock in and out on a dot employee.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

L.O.L.

No, but I do think they should ask serious questions about why they are subsidizing a factory for 20+ years via tax breaks when the company they are so desperate to welcome engaged in this situation at all, and what treatment this means they should reasonably expect at these ghost jobs they think are coming.
[doublepost=1511274180][/doublepost]
Im sure its no different here. I had a 10-12h work day while in college for 4 years. Now i mostly do that extra 2 hours of overtime at a large company without comps since its salary.

When there are deadlines, we all pull in alot of overtime unless you are a 9-5 clock in and out on a dot employee.

The difference here is the students were compelled by their school to do this when it had nothing to do with their studies and didn't appear to actually be completely voluntary. If someone chooses to hustle in college on their own terms that's very different than this, where the students themselves openly questioned why they were doing this specific kind of work in excess.
[doublepost=1511274283][/doublepost]
VOLUNTARY was the word that stood out here, also 40 hours really isn't that much, some people here in the U.K work longer than 40 hours. What about the engineers at Apple? Tim Cook and other executives? i'm sure they all work longer than 40 hours a week.

You are citing multiple examples of people who aren't still in school and aren't under the age of 20, who have chosen the job they are working at as a career. Internships are not a job. It's seasonal work at best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.