Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Good on Apple for taking action, and I hope this also gets the attention of Wisconsin. As for the situation in China, that school should be investigated and that teacher jailed but it probably won’t happen.
It is a much bigger problem than a class, teacher, headmaster or school.

Reactions: nnoble

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Voluntary sure. If you don't volunteer to work extra hours for free, you won't graduate.

Last edited by a moderator:

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
No, but I do think they should ask serious questions about why they are subsidizing a factory for 20+ years via tax breaks when the company they are so desperate to welcome engaged in this situation at all, and what treatment this means they should reasonably expect at these ghost jobs they think are coming.
[doublepost=1511274180][/doublepost]

The difference here is the students were compelled by their school to do this when it had nothing to do with their studies and didn't appear to actually be completely voluntary. If someone chooses to hustle in college on their own terms that's very different than this, where the students themselves openly questioned why they were doing this specific kind of work in excess.
[doublepost=1511274283][/doublepost]

You are citing multiple examples of people who aren't still in school and aren't under the age of 20, who have chosen the job they are working at as a career. Internships are not a job. It's seasonal work at best.

Wisconsin Trump voters......ask.......serious.......questions.

Apparently you don't understand the electorate.
[doublepost=1511315966][/doublepost]
I would hardly call it slave labour:

"Foxconn said that "all work was voluntary and compensated appropriately," but admitted that the interns "did work overtime in violation of our policy," which reportedly prohibits interns working more than 40 hours per week."

VOLUNTARY was the word that stood out here, also 40 hours really isn't that much, some people here in the U.K work longer than 40 hours. What about the engineers at Apple? Tim Cook and other executives? i'm sure they all work longer than 40 hours a week.

"We are being forced by our school to work here," said Ms Yang, an 18-year-old student training to be a train attendant who declined to use her first name for fear of punishment. "The work has nothing to do with our studies." She said she assembled up to 1,200 iPhone X cameras a day.

Apparently you believe Foxconn PR who has many reasons to lie over an 18 year old student who has absolutely no reason to lie. How Apple-centric of you.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
At least its good to know people at Foxconn are willing to get it done quickly in their 'extra work' the same as customers waiting to buy

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
That’s China to you. Don’t understand why apple thinks they can make China like America

I don't think you understand.... It's not about making China like America. It's about making America like China.
Apple believes that as long as the "Right people" are in charge, it will be ok... But then it will be too late.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Our team had to do overtime last two weeks to meet a dead line. And we broke the workplace rules to do it in regards how much time you can spend at work, without a break etc .

As long as it's voluntary and you get compensation, I don't see a problem. Deadlines , or manufacturing quotas create the problem.

Also some people volunteer for OT as they want extra income, some I know depend on it .
[doublepost=1511331940][/doublepost]
So what do these chinese kids 'learn' exactly, by being forced to work in a factory to complete their totally unrelated studies?

To study harder and how privileged they are they there studies will mean working in a factory is not their career.

I'm very greatful I worked to subsidise my studies, taught me a little about life, unlike some Friends whose parents paid for everything .

Reactions: Dave245

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you for your service, sir!

:apple:
And thanks for being happy the world is as miserable today as it was then and being proud of it! Service (and I did mine) does not overide willful ignorance.
[doublepost=1511340110][/doublepost]
Our team had to do overtime last two weeks to meet a dead line. And we broke the workplace rules to do it in regards how much time you can spend at work, without a break etc .

As long as it's voluntary and you get compensation, I don't see a problem. Deadlines , or manufacturing quotas create the problem.

Also some people volunteer for OT as they want extra income, some I know depend on it .
[doublepost=1511331940][/doublepost]

To study harder and how privileged they are they there studies will mean working in a factory is not their career.

I'm very greatful I worked to subsidise my studies, taught me a little about life, unlike some Friends whose parents paid for everything .
I’m shocked at the superficial understanding of these issues and the audacity of those all too ready to use words like ‘privileged’ in the context of this discussion.

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
When I was 17-19 years old I worked 16 hour shifts for a few dollars an hour. No paid overtime, no one watching out for me.

At least Apple audits their suppliers. Child labor and slave labor is a fact of life unfortunately. Slave labor shrimp at Walmart. Child labor adidas shoes. The US (and Canadian) consumerism demands cheap labor from underdeveloped countries and China. Every garment we wear is produced by some poor factory worker who is likely locked in to the over crowded fire trap. Some workers in China and India live in the factories that supply our insatiable desire for cheap products.

You want to stop feeding the dragon? Buy products produced in the US or Canada where labor laws exist and are enforced. The truth is, as a nation we don’t care. We want cheap goods. We don’t even care about quality anymore. Proof? Explain Walmart.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Reality : China is the most richest contry in the world. USA has 20 trillion dollar debt.
That is correct. It is USA that has taken a loan from China.
[doublepost=1511342072][/doublepost]
China’s dept is equal to about one third of their economy. The US isn’t the only country with debt.

China has lots of money. You can't even imagine.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
That is correct. It is USA that has taken a loan from China.
[doublepost=1511342072][/doublepost]
China has lots of money. You can't even imagine.

The fundamental issue here is not my country, your country, that country. It is not about they have money, we don't. It's about schoolchildren. These are same in this country and that country and the other country. It is not about tribal, petty politics.

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
This is a problem with China, not Apple.

Yeah, like Apple "didn't know" this was going on. They never questioned how those Foxconn iPhone X shipping times improved so dramatically in a few short weeks? Please.

Typical. Foxconn violates labor law (and takes the hit for Apple). Apple swoops in, publicly stops the practice and looks like the hero.

Tim Cook's claim to fame was being the master of the supply chain. He knows exactly what is going on at all times with that side of the business. Don't be fooled.

This is basically Apple "outing" the problem before the media got to it. Damage control at it's finest.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah, like Apple "didn't know" this was going on. They never questioned how those Foxconn iPhone X shipping times improved so dramatically in a few short weeks? Please.

Typical. Foxconn violates labor law (and takes the hit for Apple). Apple swoops in, publicly stops the practice and looks like the hero.

Tim Cook's claim to fame was being the master of the supply chain. He knows exactly what is going on at all times with that side of the business. Don't be fooled.

This is basically Apple "outing" the problem before the media got to it. Damage control at it's finest.

Ok even if all of this is true (which I doubt) what’s wrong? The people are being paid, there are interns who don’t get paid in some places. 40 hours really isn’t that much there are people who work longer hours than that. I think this is an article that’s blowing it way out of proportion and context.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Just wait for Foxconn to buy/build private prisons in the USA to get in on the USA slave labour market.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
It's good to see these interns learning good work ethics and that to get ahead in life you have to work hard for it nothing is handed to you
There's a difference between working hard and being exploited. Slaves in the US south also learned "good work ethic" by being told that they should all "be a good slave". They even twisted Christian sermons to add in that very quote. Then again, if the confederacy of the US had their way, their constitution would've stated that those of color are only suited to be slaves, and nothing more.

Look, many will agree a good work ethic is a good thing to have. However, just like there are employees who aren't all that, there are companies who also walk over their workers and exploit them too. There may not be much you can do about that at times, but let's at least be able to acknowledge those cases.

I am pretty sure they are not even in the lowest 10, there are far worse places on this planet.
Way to lower the bar! If there are atrocities happening in your nation, you can skirt responsibilities and consequences so long as it doesn't rank in the top 10 as being the worst :rolleyes:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I wonder if the members of Falun Gong or Tibetans agree with you.

There's a difference between working hard and being exploited. Slaves in the US south also learned "good work ethic" by being told that they should all "be a good slave". They even twisted Christian sermons to add in that very quote. Then again, if the confederacy of the US had their way, their constitution would've stated that those of color are only suited to be slaves, and nothing more.

Look, many will agree a good work ethic is a good thing to have. However, just like there are employees who aren't all that, there are companies who also walk over their workers and exploit them too. There may not be much you can do about that at times, but let's at least be able to acknowledge those cases.

Way to lower the bar! If there are atrocities happening in your nation, you can skirt responsibilities and consequences so long as it doesn't rank in the top 10 as being the worst :rolleyes:

I've been around in this world, saw plenty more than most people (5 years around the world on a pushbike), seen horrible jails, people with shackles, people dying on the street and much more.
I am not saying China is good, I only said it can be (a lot) worse.
Lived in Indonesia for more than 5 years, not the worst place either but also not a bad place.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
And thanks for being happy the world is as miserable today as it was then and being proud of it! Service (and I did mine) does not overide willful ignorance.
[doublepost=1511340110][/doublepost]
I’m shocked at the superficial understanding of these issues and the audacity of those all too ready to use words like ‘privileged’ in the context of this discussion.

Ummm, I was thanking someone for their military service. I do not know why you are going off on me for doing that? We should all thank our veterans, so I am a little perplexed at your comment.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Ok even if all of this is true (which I doubt) what’s wrong? The people are being paid, there are interns who don’t get paid in some places. 40 hours really isn’t that much there are people who work longer hours than that. I think this is an article that’s blowing it way out of proportion and context.
There are non so blind as those who don't wisht to see. You doubt? Why do you doubt it is true? Do you know anything at all about this apart from what you've read here? Tnis is not blown out of proportion, this is just the tip of the iceberg. But if you are happy in your cosy bubble, then I guess that's ok for you.
[doublepost=1511425572][/doublepost]
Ummm, I was thanking someone for their military service. I do not know why you are going off on me for doing that? We should all thank our veterans, so I am a little perplexed at your comment.
You're right. I should have replied directly to the ludicrous self grandification and linking this story with some period of personal history, totally unrelated to what's going on here. "I'm a war hero! This is nothing compared to what I did 40 years ago." Self satisfied BS!

Reactions: ilovemykid3302012

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
There are non so blind as those who don't wisht to see. You doubt? Why do you doubt it is true? Do you know anything at all about this apart from what you've read here? Tnis is not blown out of proportion, this is just the tip of the iceberg. But if you are happy in your cosy bubble, then I guess that's ok for you.

I believe that they did overtime (which isn't that bad people work a lot longer hours) i believe that they are interns (students) but i also believe they were paid and compensated for their work, what i don't believe from that article is that they were "forced to work" people often exaggerate and blow things way out of proportion. Students here in the U.K are often required to work as part of their studies (called internships or work experience) they are sometimes paid and other times not. Rules are often broken when it comes to hours worked, it's nothing new.

I'm not saying that you are personally but isn't it hypocritical to complain on this forum that people are treated badly (they aren't) and pretend to care, then go out and buy Apple products and products from other companies? that are supposedly using "slave labour" :rolleyes:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
[doublepost=1511425572][/doublepost]
You're right. I should have replied directly to the ludicrous self grandification and linking this story with some period of personal history, totally unrelated to what's going on here. "I'm a war hero! This is nothing compared to what I did 40 years ago." Self satisfied BS!

Haha, man are you wacky! What do you have against our military members? Without them we would not have these forums to freely discuss things. It appears you dislike America or something, why don’t you go live in China or Russia? Thanking someone for their military service should not offend you. I bet most all people on this forum have zero problem thanking a veteran. Apparently you do not have any veterans in you family, like I do and several other people do in this forum!

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Haha, man are you wacky! What do you have against our military members? Without them we would not have these forums to freely discuss things. It appears you dislike America or something, why don’t you go live in China or Russia? Thanking someone for their military service should not offend you. I bet most all people on this forum have zero problem thanking a veteran. Apparently you do not have any veterans in you family, like I do and several other people do in this forum!
1. I do live in China
2. I’m a veteran myself
3. This thread has nothing to do with veterans.
4. Clearly you assume far too much.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
1. I do live in China
2. I’m a veteran myself
3. This thread has nothing to do with veterans.
4. Clearly you assume far too much.

So explain to me again why you have an issue with someone thanking a veteran for their service? Why does it appear to bother you so much? That is all I am wondering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.