Apple Targeting Users of Older iPhones With iPhone XR Email Campaign

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple continues to aggressively market the iPhone XR, with one of its latest tactics being customized emails to owners of older iPhone models with a trade-in value of the older device and a tech specs comparison with the iPhone XR.

[​IMG]

An email sent to an iPhone 6 Plus user, for example, advertises Apple's limited-time $200 trade-in offer for that device towards the purchase of an iPhone XR in the United States. The email also states that the iPhone XR is up to three times faster than the iPhone 6 Plus and compares other features.

Apple appears to have started sending out these emails late last year, but we saw several mentions of the campaign on Reddit and Twitter today, suggesting that Apple may have sent out a second wave of emails to additional customers.

[​IMG]

Apple issued a rare revenue downgrade of up to $9 billion for the first quarter of its 2019 fiscal year, a move that it attributed entirely to fewer iPhone upgrades than it anticipated, primarily in the Greater China region. Apple believes simplifying its process of trading in a phone is one way it can improve its results.

Article Link: Apple Targeting Users of Older iPhones With iPhone XR Email Campaign

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Remember when apple was able to sell a device based on its own merits?

3. SoApple macrumors regular

Gotta agree. A little unusual but I don’t think it’s too concerning.

4. fandsw macrumors regular

Drop the price $100-150 and I might jump.......

5. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

You mean when Jobs was alive and they sold 1/3 as many iPhones annually as they do today?

6. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

If you own an iPhone 6 or older expect a personal FaceTime from Phil Schiller. :eek:

7. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

Recieved one myself. In December I recieved several a week, even two a few hours apart.

8. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

And for all you people that are just being snarky, welcome to business.

When Wallstreet demands $90B+ in sales in 90 days, you have to start pushing harder. This doesn't mean Apple is failing, the XR is a flop, or any other doom and gloom story.

This means Apple is trying to cram MORE sales into the same amount of time and that requires new tactics.

9. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

This campaign worked in our family as we were able to upgrade from a 7 to a XR.

10. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Yeah I've been using and buying iPhones since the very first and I don't remember Apple selling so aggressively. They never really had to convince people back in the day. I remember when people stood in line for a week before launch just to be one of the first. Now a new phone comes out and nobody really cares. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd see people commenting "I have a 3 year old iPhone and feel no need to upgrade". I'm seeing this more and more so it seems to be a trend

11. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

No mention of wireless charging..unless is the Xs series only

12. tcphoto1 macrumors 6502

tcphoto1

Does Apple really think I'm that easy? They'll have to work a little harder to persuade to upgrade. Besides, how much do you think they'll sell my iPhone6 for in their secondary market?

13. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

Long since past are those days I'm afraid.
    Now its more 'buy the latest iToy so you can stay fashionable'. I'll pass on that noise.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Every single business does some type of marketing. It doesn’t mean it’s failing it’s just doing what it’s supposed to be doing.

15. shanmugam macrumors 68020

for those why ponied up $100 more for 128GB iPhone 7 - not giving up our phones.

If you are buying new iPhones every two year what is that differentiates from Andriod phone, what is that means supporting iOS more than few years

iPhone 7 is very good phone, if you upgrade, all of these will go into land fills (or recycled but not good as using it for longer period of time), and there is that phone case, screen protector and other stuff as well. Not environmentally friendly.

if it all I am upgrading, I will sell it to someone (family/friend or ebay) rather than trade in to Apple or others who send it for recycling instead of resales.

$499 for iPhone 7 user here

Attached Files:

16. Doomtomb macrumors 6502

Doomtomb

This isn't going to work. Users need more of a reason to upgrade than a pricepoint and "all-screen" design.

Where's the real value proposition to benefit users' experience? I just don't see it.

17. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

Wasn't it starting from $449 few weeks ago?

18. alexandr macrumors regular

alexandr

...and as an iphone 6 user, you never experienced the joys of force touch, so you're gonna love the XR!!!

19. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

to be honest a lot of people dont pay attention to new phones anymore. a lot of older people probably have iphone 6/6s and are aggravated at the slowness, but not savvy enough to go out and look for an upgrade themselves.

if they really are targeting people with old phones, i think this campaign will be relatively successful.

20. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

These emails are customized, so the price with trade-in reflects your current device. $449 requires an iPhone 7 Plus for trade, but this user has a 6 Plus.

22. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

Why is this not worldwide and for SE owners as well? I would jump to the Xr...

23. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

But it is also bigger, heavier and notchier than my 7, which works just fine.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

The market has matured a lot since 2007. iPhone in 2019 is in a lot better shape than Mac was in 1996.

25. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

Sorry Apple that's NOT going to happen.
    I don't want a bigger phone. I may upgrade from a '7' to an '8' in a few months but that's it. I won't go larger. I simply don't need a Phablet sized device. The 7 and 8 fit nicely in the phone pocket of my Motorcycle Jacket. Anything larger and it won't go.
    I can't be the only one who does not want Phablets?