Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Count me into the group who is sick and tired of hearing about this crap.

I too love my iPhone 4, it being the best phone I have ever owned, and without a doubt having less dropped calls than my 3GS had. I had a handful of drops on the 3GS fairly often and on the 4 I've only had two since launch day. I'm also in a long distance relationship and we stay on the phone all night every night. I'm not kidding. :eek:

I can demo this "issue" but realistically it is not a problem for me. This phone is the best and I'm only slightly bummed that some people may miss out on a fantastic device due to this media hoopla.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
Starting to get annoyed by Apple...who cares if other brands have a similar issue. The issue is with the iPhone4, which is their product, and should be taking responsibility for. This is such a childish thing to do. I really thought Apple would be better than this.

:(

Annoyed by Apple? I'm sure Apple is annoyed by all the people who are saying that Apple doesn't know how to make phones, especially when the problem they're getting flak from is also reproduced on other phones just as easilly, but no other companies are getting **** on by the public and media for also having this issue? Why is it ONLY Apple that gets dumped on?

ELScorcho9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
What I find interesting is Apple gave a press conference which involved a largely scientific analysis and presentation, wherein they showed:

- The antenna issue impacts 0.55% of users to the degree they expressed concerns.

- The call loss issue is 1/100 or less, worse for the new 4 model than the prior 3GS model.

- The attenuation issue is user impacted and minor behavioral issues can abate it almost entirely.

- Case use was far higher on 3GS vs 4 which accounts for nearly 100% of the experienced issues, thus Apple offered free cases to 4 users who did not buy a case due to supply chain and availability issues.

- The new antenna system is more sensitive, effective and has better actual reception than either the prior model or most other competitors.

- The issue is largely in areas of poor reception to begin with. One factor in this is USA cell cites are less densely distributed than EU sites and the limits of GSM are more revealed here. We have more geographic area to cover so carriers have opted to solve the issue with near minimum density cell site distribution.

All of these factual, supported, known things are widely disregarded in headline style media reports that regurgitate the now disproven claim that Apple iPhone 4 has "an antenna problem", "reception issues", or "a dropped call problem". While there are limited and anecdotal examples of it, largely reproducable from known conditions, there is no there there on an overall and general basis.

Rocketman

What he said.

Call me crazy, but my iPhone 4 works great. The minority consisting of me and the other 98.6% of iPhone 4 users probably just hasn't seen the problem yet, right?

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Saya it best...

Here's a post at another site that saya it best:

bbrewer 1 hour ago
2 people liked this.
Antenna-gate was a non-issue to start with. If anything it may end up helping Apple meet demand at some point. Right now they are not able to make them fast enough anyway.

The external antenna is great. You won't drop a call no matter how you hold it if you have a decent signal. If you are in a weak signal area, you might not even have a signal on another phone. Of the iPhone 4, if you have one bar, avoid touching the strip near the bottom of the left side. If you can tie your own shoes, you can probably manage this. Or get a (free) case. Gee, what a crisis.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100721/apple-earnings-no-better-antennagate-deodorant-than-success/#comments

LucasRoebuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
my iPhone 4 drops fewer calls than my iPhone 3G

What he said.

Call me crazy, but my iPhone 4 works great. The minority consisting of me and the other 98.6% of iPhone 4 users probably just hasn't seen the problem yet, right?

I agree.

However, I disagree with your signature quote... at least you have taken it out of context.

"...those who live by mystery & charlatanerie, fearing you would render them useless by simplifying the Christian philosophy, the most sublime & benevolent, but most perverted system that ever shone on man, endeavored to crush your well earnt, & well deserved fame." - Thomas Jefferson to Joseph Priestley, Washington, 21 March 1801

If you are going to quote Jefferson, get it right.

Source: http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawik..._most_perverted_system_that_ever_shone_on_man

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
This is key. If the iPhone 4 isn't dropping calls any more often than the 3GS, then there is no real issue at all.....

But Apple admitted that it DOES drop more calls than 3GS.

They spun it as "less than 1 per 100", but assuming all 3,000,000 iPhone 4 users make about 5 calls per day, that's over ONE MILLION dropped calls per week MORE than iPhone 3GS.

It's a problem.
It's been reproduced by CNET, Consumer Reports, NYT, and many others.

The debate here is not whether there's a problem, but why Apple is obfuscating, rather than fixing it, pretending that bridging the gap of their electrically exposed antenna is equivalent to attenuating an antenna by completely covering it with one's meaty hand.
(seems like moving this gap to the bottom edge of the phone where it's far less likely to be touched, would be an easy fix).

MathiasMag

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
This crisis is essentially forgotten

The slow pace of messages here shows that this has gone from being important to the masses and the trolls to now be a small problem. Previous threads (those from before the videos and pressconference) added three pages in the time it took to read one, there was just no way to keep up with them. This has still not gotten much over 50.

It is interesting, but few considers the new iPhone to be broken anymore. No matter what you think of how Jobs handled it, he completely defused a situation that was becoming very hostile. I'm sure this will be taught and dissected at universities for years just as Intels poor handling of PR with the "faulty" processors is taught as the difference between dealing with companies and customers. This was a lesson for all and many key bloggers have already written pieces of how he changed the usual dynamics of apologizing for any perceived issue.

keyofnight

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Seattle, WA, USA.
I swear guys: I'm pretty sure most of the people dropping calls are only dropping calls because of the proximity sensor issues.

Next time you drop a call, check to see if it says "Call Failure" on the screen. If it doesn't, it's probably the sensor. (I'm talking to a wall, I'm sure—but if one person discovers the real problem, I'll be happy…

If it does say call failure, take it to Apple and they'll give you a new one. Simple. :)

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Why are Apple on a witch hunt?

Apple should concentrate on fixing their problem instead of finger pointing and deflecting the issue onto other companies. We already know the problem isn't as severe on other devices as the iPhone 4.

The iPhone's antenna issue has been highlighted by other companies in newspaper, online and TV advertisements. Apple is just returning the favor.

I do think the external antenna makes things worse, but the companies Apple is targeting deserve this getting shoved right back in their faces.

PS: Apple has been working on fixing the issue. For starters, you get a free case, or if you're not satisfied you can return the phone for a full refund. Behind the scenes they are definitely trying to fix or minimize the problem as well. I don't know what more you can ask for, really.

Hovey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2009
TN

They spun it as "less than 1 per 100", but assuming all 3,000,000 iPhone 4 users make about 5 calls per day, that's over ONE MILLION dropped calls per week MORE than iPhone 3GS.

It's a problem.
It's been reproduced by CNET, Consumer Reports, NYT, and many others.

The debate here is not whether there's a problem, but why Apple is obfuscating, rather than fixing it, pretending that bridging the gap of their electrically exposed antenna is equivalent to attenuating an antenna by completely covering it with one's meaty hand.
(seems like moving this gap to the bottom edge of the phone where it's far less likely to be touched, would be an easy fix).

Umm, that's still less than 1%. That's pretty good. That would be out of 100 million calls. 99 million calls were fine.

Kiwi Jones

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Well, if they treat their customers this way then what do they expect?

Imagine an icecream stand, selling icecream cones "revolutionarily" cylindrical in shape and everyone's icecream fell out the bottom. Then, they remedy this by going "ok, we'll give you all a small piece of paper to glue to the bottom that will sort of fix the problem."

I'm getting so tired of hearing all this whining and complaining. First off, don't complain about the iPhone 4 unless YOU ACTUALLY HAVE AN iPHONE 4! Secondly, don't complain cuz you can make your bars disappear on your iPhone 4 unless you've EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS DURING NORMAL USE. Yes i can make my phone drop bars. Yes Apple screwed up some with the design or at least by giving everyone an "X" marks the spot. And in regards to your icecream cone metaphor, the iP4 is not even close to actually being dysfunctional because of this antenna issue. It would be more like Apple selling revolutionary icecream cones that LEAKED a bit out of the bottom when you held it a certain way. And to remedy it, Apple gave out PAPER ICECREAM CONE SLEEVES (the kind you get from icecream places already.... but SOME people prefer to take it out of the sleeve while others are fine with it). And you people still manage to complain. Either put a case/bumper on it if you actually do experience problems, or return the phone and ****.

I hereby solemnly swear to avoid opening the comments section on any future iPhone 4 Antenna Issue related articles.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Umm, that's still less than 1%. That's pretty good. That would be out of 100 million calls. 99 million calls were fine.

You seem to have missed the "... MORE than iPhone 3gs" part.

A better antenna should drop FEWER calls (unless there's a flaw)

Kiwi Jones

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Count me into the group who is sick and tired of hearing about this crap.

I too love my iPhone 4, it being the best phone I have ever owned, and without a doubt having less dropped calls than my 3GS had. I had a handful of drops on the 3GS fairly often and on the 4 I've only had two since launch day. I'm also in a long distance relationship and we stay on the phone all night every night. I'm not kidding. :eek:

I can demo this "issue" but realistically it is not a problem for me. This phone is the best and I'm only slightly bummed that some people may miss out on a fantastic device due to this media hoopla.

Amen

wrlsmarc

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
The attention paid to this by the press is way overblown and, in my opinion, borders on irresponsible reporting to sell clicks and pages. I have an iPhone 4 and 3GS. Have done side by side comparisons of signal quality and the ability to maintain calls in low signal areas. The iPhone 4 beats my 3GS every call.

Yes I can touch the lower left hand side of the phone and cause signal loss. However, it is also an area that is so small, I can easily avoid. I also use a bumper occasionally. With the bumper, I can't make the signal do much. I do prefer to have a naked iPhone and have no concerns carrying and using it that way.

I for one am very happy with the iPhone 4. It is fast, really fast. It does not drop calls where my 3GS did. The battery life is far superior to any smartphone I have owned. I download a variety of applications without fear. I play my music or Pandora when I work out. I use Facetime.....

Apple has a right to defend themselves. If you look at their choice of antenna design, they placed the antenna as far away from the head as possible. That makes me happy. I am also pleased with SAR values relative to other smartphones.

I guess this makes me a fanboy. But I join the majority that say this is a great phone.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
The slow pace of messages here shows that this has gone from being important to the masses and the trolls to now be a small problem. Previous threads (those from before the videos and pressconference) added three pages in the time it took to read one, there was just no way to keep up with them. This has still not gotten much over 50.

It is interesting, but few considers the new iPhone to be broken anymore. No matter what you think of how Jobs handled it, he completely defused a situation that was becoming very hostile. I'm sure this will be taught and dissected at universities for years just as Intels poor handling of PR with the "faulty" processors is taught as the difference between dealing with companies and customers. This was a lesson for all and many key bloggers have already written pieces of how he changed the usual dynamics of apologizing for any perceived issue.

Exactly. When the usual suspects don't post, the threads that brought up the reception issue totally die.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
They really seem to believe that everyone is naive.

As Apple themselves have pointed out, the number of displayed bars on a phone is often not very meaningful.

What's important, is how much dBm change occurs and especially whether or not the connection drops.

Ok but the problem is that 99% of the people are naive and only pay attention to the bars they see on the screen.

Kiwi Jones

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010

Not to mention the thousands and thousands of people purposely replicating the issue to show others how it can drop a call. I wonder how many dropped calls were during normal use. I know i've replicated it a few times but have dropped 1 call since launch. And that was in an area with sh***y reception.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
don't complain about the iPhone 4 unless YOU ACTUALLY HAVE AN iPHONE 4! Secondly, don't complain cuz you can make your bars disappear on your iPhone 4 unless you've EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS DURING NORMAL USE. Yes i can make my phone drop bars. Yes Apple screwed up some with the design or at least by giving everyone an "X" marks the spot.

It's the typical internet forum user review problem. Any product be it a TV, stereo, vacuum cleaner or now a phone get more positive feedback than it is entitled to because the customer is satisfied and want the product to be perfect. That is why a user review often is "it's the best "named product category" I have ever had!

Reviews are for prospective customers, that is why they exists! Naturally a potential customer wishes a product that he is interested in to be fixed if it has problems and faults as you yourself in the post above claims. Why sweep it under the rug?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

They spun it as "less than 1 per 100", but assuming all 3,000,000 iPhone 4 users make about 5 calls per day, that's over ONE MILLION dropped calls per week MORE than iPhone 3GS.[/I]

That total number is meaningless to the end user. The Average user will make 100 calls on a 4 and 100 on a 3GS and not see a difference.

It's also a number that could change from week to week depending on all sorts of nebulous factors. This week the stats might favor the 4 by 1 call for all you know.

Hovey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2009
TN

Yeah but none of us know what that number is. It could be a full 1/100 for all we know. 2-5% is still pretty good. There will NEVER be a phone that never drops a call, ever. We also don't know other manufacturers ratio. There's probably a reason why they don't give that information.

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Even if Rim, Palm, etc. exhibit the same antenna problems as the iPhone 4, Apple is acting like a cry baby by trying to shift the discussion to include their competitors. “Teacher, the other kids are being bad too, don’t punish me alone”.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I want someone to make a utility that replaces the improved bar display and algorithm with a randomized display and algorithm. That way you stop looking for bars to make your life better and just make the damn call and see if it goes through or not. Pass/fail.

Ignorance is bliss. Sometimes.

Maybe Apple could make that an Easter Egg. Those were the days, when Easter Eggs were common. Fun times.

Rocketman

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

You don't get the real picture about performance from that average. What are the call drop numbers when people don't "hold it wrong"? Let's say they were 50 fewer on the 4. That would indicate a massively improved overall antenna design. So you'd have an antenna that holds on to calls about exactly as well on average, with the *ability to greatly exceed previous performance depending on use*. That can't be ignored.

And not all dropped calls are signal related. Some are capacity related and we have no idea how AT&T runs those numbers.

Hovey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2009
TN
Even if Rim, Palm, etc. exhibit the same antenna problems as the iPhone 4, Apple is acting like a cry baby by trying to shift the discussion to include their competitors. “Teacher, the other kids are being bad too, don’t punish me alone”.

So if another car company was hiding the same problem Toyota had, and Toyota pointed it out, that would be wrong? Why are the other companies denying it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.